Bouchra Jarrar Leaving Lanvin - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2017
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
Bahaha. Should have never fired Elbaz, suckers.

07-07-2017
backstage pass

^It probably would still be looking the same, same boring jewel tone dresses and clunky jewellry. Hopefully Alber will bring some new propositions once he's ready for a comeback.

It was evident from the start that Bouchra had absolutely nothing to do helming a house like Lanvin, her hype was non-existent and her sensibility too niche for it to make an impression with either the editors or the instagram crowd.

07-07-2017
backstage pass

We all knew this was happening, and now that it has I'm relieved. She never meshed well with Lanvin, her vision was too muted and mature for it to have much of a resonance with the Instagram savvy crowd.

Hopefully now she can revamp her own brand and get back to producing what she excelled at, and hopefully Lanvin manages to snag someone really great for the brand. Dare I say new talent, even if it will never happen?

07-07-2017
backstage pass

While I agree that Bouchra's creations didn't seem to quite rise to the occasion (quite sure that senior management were hoping for a dramatic but wildly successful change like what Hedi Slimane did for YSL, Tom Ford for Gucci), still it's sad to see that she was given such little time to try. I mean, she even closed her own line to focus on Lanvin! It's difficult to fill the shoes of Alber Elbaz! I guess when the fashion industry moves at the pace it does, unless you prove your brilliant worth within the first few times and the money comes in truck loads, then you're out.

07-07-2017
fashion icon

It will be good if Hermes end it collaboration with the woman coming from THE ROW and gives the job to Bouchra. I think that she could be perfect for the Hermes woman. Her ultraluxe, ultra-precious casual offering could work well with Hermes's classic bourgeois style.

07-07-2017
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
It will be good if Hermes end it collaboration with the woman coming from THE ROW and gives the job to Bouchra. I think that she could be perfect for the Hermes woman. Her ultraluxe, ultra-precious casual offering could work well with Hermes's classic bourgeois style.
I would second this idea. The women's collection at Hermes is very subpar from the men's collection. I think she would fit well there.

I think she has the skills to match the house of Lanvin but her vision may have been way too muted for the house especially to old clientele who adores such fun and glamour clothes. However, it is also a really big management problem. A lot of people want the next Gucci or Saint Laurent but they forgot how the management was also changed and the designers were really given great room to work.

07-07-2017
fashion icon

They made a big mistake from day one. Lanvin has solidified itself as the go to brand for big volumes, sparkles, ruffles, color, and the most fabulous costume jewelry! Customers are not looking for the lean, stark, Bouchra silhouette. Her refusal to do anything remotely colorful worked against her. All that black and white was very limiting, and very off putting to the Lanvin customer. They should hire a British Designer. Roskanda would be an excellent choice.

trendsetter

I hope that Shaw-Lan Wang will hire a young designer. Just PLEASE do.

Lately Gucci and Balenciaga are perfect exemples of what fashion needs : new faces as lead designers. Not those names we've been seeing for a decade... You may not like the style, but people buy Gucci and Balenciaga. It's in wardrobes and in editorials...

#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
They made a big mistake from day one. Lanvin has solidified itself as the go to brand for big volumes, sparkles, ruffles, color, and the most fabulous costume jewelry! Customers are not looking for the lean, stark, Bouchra silhouette. Her refusal to do anything remotely colorful worked against her. All that black and white was very limiting, and very off putting to the Lanvin customer. They should hire a British Designer. Roskanda would be an excellent choice.
I've noticed lately they've been offering some bright colors and draping, in an apparent effort to appeal to the old base.

I don't think it was her refusal really, but she was told (by the people in charge who know nothing of fashion) to feel free to make a complete break with the past. So, that didn't work.

Other houses that have made a complete break have had well-oiled machines to implement it all, plus (of course) the change has to be desirable to a significant group of people. Lanvin's whole problem was IMO never their designer, but the fact that they never had the business side to back it all up. I'm not a wholesale buyer, obviously, but as a retail buyer it was quite obvious that they had been cutting the quality of materials for years. And here they're probably making the same mistake all over again, looking to cut costs further, when they have a stakeholder already at the table who wants to invest (or did!). Additionally, they've done everything possible to alienate their customers, who were not the flighty sort with nothing between their ears. They completely deserve to topple into the grave they're digging.

07-07-2017
flaunt the imperfection

bring back ALBER~~~!!!

07-07-2017
backstage pass

Maybe they will sell themselves to LVMH or Kering...which is probably better. For once I actually see some merits of doing so, all along I am against all these consolidation but I guess Lanvin is no Hermes or Chanel.

07-07-2017
#Resist

^ That's a good idea. I suspect that Ms. Wang's hands will have to be cold before she lets go, though, and I just wonder whether there will be anything left to salvage at that point. Such a shame ... Paris's oldest fashion house too.

07-07-2017
tfs star

I like what she did with her own brand but it's not surprising that it ended like this at all.

V.I.P.

At this point what sane designer would take the position at this house? After the messy firing of Alber and now this it's just asking from trouble to work for that crazy owner.

http://fashionworldstuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
Maybe they will sell themselves to LVMH or Kering...which is probably better. For once I actually see some merits of doing so, all along I am against all these consolidation but I guess Lanvin is no Hermes or Chanel.
It could be a good solution. Mayhoola Group wanted buy Lanvin before, if i don't mistake. But i'm not sure Mrs. Shaw-Lan Wang will sell.
Seems as she doesn't care about Lanvin but same time want keep the brand for herself, must be a question of prestige, i guess?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bouchra, jarrar, lanvin, leaving