How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-02-2010
Geometric Discharge

Bruno Pieters retires his eponymous label
Quote:
Bruno No More?

Lauren Milligan
01 February 2010

BELGIAN designer Bruno Pieters is set to close his eponymous line, just a few months after stepping down as art director of the Hugo Boss diffusion line, Hugo.
The designer plans to rest his nine-year-old label - rather than permanently shuttering it - and will sell part of his archives at ra13, a new concept store in Antwerp, Belgium, with proceeds to be donated to SISP, a children's charity in southern India.
"Probably this will be difficult for some stores who supported me and believed in the collection for all these years," Pieters told WWD. His collection is sold at Maria Luisa in Paris and The Convenience Store in London.
The designer has not yet confirmed whether he will show his final collection at Paris Fashion Week in March or whether we have seen the last of his designs for now.

I wondered where Hugo was for menswear this season... I had no idea.
I am in a state of shock and sadness.

01-02-2010
Geometric Discharge

Source: vogue.co.uk

01-02-2010
!

well that sucks.

01-02-2010
V.I.P.

How very sad.
His collections over the last couple of years weren't his best by any means but what he produced prior to that was truly impeccably constructed, he was one of my favorites, I've been rooting for him for years.
Anyway.. perhaps he really needs a break, it doesn't sound like he's struggling financially, or maybe I'm just being too naÔve?.. I hope this break makes him revalue his appreciation for clothing and the industry he's in and hopefully that will encourage him to come back with bigger and better work, his latest creations seemed a bit tired to say the least.

fashion insider

I heard about him leaving Hugo on wwd a while ago I though he was doing a good job there.

I agree with Mullet that it doesn't sounds from the article like he's having financial problems, I don't know maybe he is;...and these may sound silly but maybe he needs an "espiritual break" or something similar the fact that he's donating the income from the sale makes me think this.

Hope to see him in the future.

01-02-2010
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
How very sad.
His collections over the last couple of years weren't his best by any means but what he produced prior to that was truly impeccably constructed, he was one of my favorites, I've been rooting for him for years.
Anyway.. perhaps he really needs a break, it doesn't sound like he's struggling financially, or maybe I'm just being too naÔve?.. I hope this break makes him revalue his appreciation for clothing and the industry he's in and hopefully that will encourage him to come back with bigger and better work, his latest creations seemed a bit tired to say the least.
it's true,it hasn't been so stupendous the last couple collections but still somebody i often look forward to seeing nevertheless. perhaps there's a flame that's sort of gone out for him. just as you said,maybe he just needs a break. i hope it's not for financial reasons. but then you hear that he's planning to sell off his archives it does make one wonder.

but yeah i knew about the hugo departure some months ago. didn't expect this to happen though!

01-02-2010
Geometric Discharge

I was in love with his latest collections, though S/S 10 was disappointingly awful with the generic drapery. I could see him desperately trying to sell his clothes.
I do get a financial problems vibe from the above fact and the fact that he embarked on ventures like the Calming Park Bruno Pieters candle...
After S/S 10 it feels like he's lost hope with his vision.. I can only wish that he shows a final collection in March..

01-02-2010
rising star

I was so shocked when I read this. After Veronique, now Bruno! He seriously was my favourite designer of womenswear and I looked forward very much to his shows and viewing the collections in stores. His work was so impeccable and a huuuuuuuge inspiration. I could spent hours examining the seams and architecture of his work. I do wonder what the reason is why he decided to quit

Let's hope it goes the same way as with Raf, who came back stronger then ever after a couple of seasons of leaving the fashion scene!

About the selling of his archive: you can view (and buy) the items here
http://shop.ra13.be/designers/bruno-pieters-archive/
Below I posted a picture of my favourite dress; it combines the soft, romantic side of his earlier collections, and the geometric, architectural seams of his more recent work.

There are 40 items, ranging from the very first of his collections, to pieces of the latest winter collection. I'm so mad at myself for not going to his stocksale last november, maybe he'll do one more in the coming weeks

fashion icon

Total bummer though I felt like something was going on because the Spring 2010 collection was not as near the standard I've come to expect from him. I always looked forward to his collections though I can't say I'm totally shocked. I've never seen his clothes carried at any stores here in NYC save fro his menswear that Seven picked up for one season. Hopefully he'll be on to bigger and better things. *sob*

01-02-2010
Stitch:the Hand

metric,i remember that season very well...probably one of my favourites of many. it's true i adore the architectural side of bruno but it was so strong when it was combined with such utter romanticism and texture. i had been missing those elements in his work. ra even has one of his gorgeous capes that i fell madly for from a/w 05.

Last edited by Scott; 01-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.
01-02-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetricSam View Post

About the selling of his archive: you can view (and buy) the items here
http://shop.ra13.be/designers/bruno-pieters-archive/
Below I posted a picture of my favourite dress; it combines the soft, romantic side of his earlier collections, and the geometric, architectural seams of his more recent work.
There are 40 items, ranging from the very first of his collections, to pieces of the latest winter collection. I'm so mad at myself for not going to his stocksale last november, maybe he'll do one more in the coming weeks
Wow that dress is absolutely stunning!

01-02-2010
tfs star

aw no wonder i didn't see any hugo boss menswear for fall 2010

i do wonder if he'll show for the upcoming fashion week. either way, i hope he has good things in store for him in the future.

03-02-2010
fashion elite

:*(

...patiently awaiting a return or some further news

03-02-2010
fashion icon

sigh...and i was even looking into hoping to do an internship there this spring. guess now it's never gonna happen

04-02-2010
unspecified

oh, no! this is too sad..

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bruno, eponymous, label, pieters, retires