How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
I agree with Ives927. This collection was absolutely over-styled to compensate for the lack of interesting pieces. We've seen all of these elements before; styling won't hide that.

This is such a disappointing show to be honest. Especially after last season when it felt like he actually doing something new, this FW collection seems like its lacking in creativity and originality.

Also, Bailey and his team really need to learn how to edit their collections. For the past few seasons (ever since they moved to London more or less) the presentations have been full of two many ideas / options / variations. His Milan collections seemed more dynamic and powerful; they stayed with you because they had a strong aesthetic. These London shows have ruined the label, for me. All I see when I watch these shows is celebrity and commerce. It is truly a shame that Burberry is going down this path.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. He just lost the magic and cohesiveness that existed in his Milan collection. They also had those wonderful romance to them that hasn't been there since fall 2009. There aren't really any pieces here that I like, the jackets are awful, and I hate the stupid owl print sweaters/tops.
Please go back to Milan, and try to get back what you lost

20-02-2012
backstage pass

It must be really difficult to create a collection that is simultaneously drab and dull yet also overwrought with tasteless, ridiculous gimmicks. Today that was exactly what Bailey managed to do.

What was he thinking. The overall impression was similar to the office nerd or a geography teacher who combines an awful mush green-brown jacket with a comedy tie. Just no.

The awkward pouch pocket things, the stupid bow belts, the cartoon owls, and particularly the swirly ruffles or origamic folds weighing down already heavy skirts - you just wanted to take a pair of scissors to all of it. Just no.

Mario Testino's face was a picture. You could read what he was thinking - christ wtf, I've got to shoot this **** and make it look good, how on earth...

'Town and Field'? A field is where this sorry lot should be promptly dispatched and buried: never to be seen again

Burberry has managed to become a joke brand again. Anyone who thinks it's cool is a joke themselves.

20-02-2012
V.I.P.

you always know what to expect from burberry kinda boring but that being said i liked this a lot loved the skirts, every owl top and the jackets

20-02-2012
scenester

I like what I'm seeing gorgeous jackets,skirts and bags and the owl t-shirt is so so cute love it!

20-02-2012
V.I.P.

I love a lot of it. There's volume and hip emphasis, like in some NYFW shows, but here it's more feminine. I always love the rich coloration of Burberry collections, and such a wide variety of looks, too, some more sophisticated; others more hip. Maybe they could cut down on the number of pieces/looks they show, but the collection itself is lovely nonetheless. I liked the end with the umbrellas. I think the print t-shirts are cute. I do agree that some of those ruffles on the fronts of skirts look cumbersome, especially given that they are in heavy fabrics, but I don't mind the pocket emphasis; that trend has been building for a while now, and he's just exploring it. Anyhow, a lot of vitriol here but it seems some of us ladies like it and would gladly wear pieces from this collection.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 20-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
20-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Wearable seems to be the word to sum this collection up, obviously when broke down, of course.

But I felt the accessories didn't look very Burberry-esq, I felt like they belonged at Mulberry... I do still lust after those gloves however.
Agree that the accessories, some of them, are atypical and also agree that the collection is heavily styled, but broken down, there are entirely wearable nice pieces.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
20-02-2012
tfs star

I felt like I've seen all of the pieces before. The leather and studded gloves. the color tones remind me of their SS 12 collections, hate the big pockets on the first looks too. But the materials look rich and I love all of those velvet pieces. The soundtracks were awesome thou and Burberry's show is always look magical.

20-02-2012
Looking Up

For the first time I can actually say that a Burberry collection is ugly. From the velvet, to the frilled skirts to those awful popup pockets, the whole collection is a disaster. The colours are arranged in the worst ways possible and Bailey needs to get over his belt-with-everything trend.

20-02-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacl Ventricl View Post
It must be really difficult to create a collection that is simultaneously drab and dull yet also overwrought with tasteless, ridiculous gimmicks. Today that was exactly what Bailey managed to do.
hit the nail on the head

20-02-2012
barcode

He lost me at look 1 with those hideous elasticized bow belts. The owl motifs, dingy colors and absolutely insane ruffled skirts (the velvet ones are particularly gorgeous ) did absolutely nothing to change my opinion.

21-02-2012
V.I.P.

Worst Burberry collectio ever. The pieces are just so lackluster. Don't even get me started on the bows. I felt that they were just added to give a little bit of "oomph" to the stale collection. However, I am really loving those embellished owl t-shirts, but that's about it.

V.I.P.

Those pockets added everywhere looked so ugly and also made models look really...big!I don't know how those pieces will translate on real people off the runway

trendsetter

Has anyone here ordered their coats or bags off the website after the show? Do they charge you right away or when they ship in 8 weeks?

21-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabelMarantBoy View Post
I couldn't agree with this statement more. He just lost the magic and cohesiveness that existed in his Milan collection. They also had those wonderful romance to them that hasn't been there since fall 2009. There aren't really any pieces here that I like, the jackets are awful, and I hate the stupid owl print sweaters/tops.
Please go back to Milan, and try to get back what you lost
exactly. I always fell in love with his Milan collections the minute I saw them, but there is nothing fascinating about this collection here. those big pockets and the ruffled pencil skirts that showed up again and again paired with lackluster jackets were not convincing, ditto for the striped long skirts and shirts, which looked just plain cheap. the only thing that grabbed my attention were the larger-sized totes, but that was about it.

21-02-2012
front row

I actually love this collection there are some great pieces here

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, burberry, f or w, london, prorsum