How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2011
chaos reigns

Hits: The pointillism pieces, some of the lighter textures, the palette, bags & shoes.

Misses: The knits (wtf?), those hideous hats, and the pieces that seemed a wee bit too literal (and Prada-esque)

18-06-2011
fashion insider

i like it, it isnt bad
it just looks simple

18-06-2011
backstage pass

It looks like Urban Outfitters threw up all over this collection.

18-06-2011
fashion icon

Well, the only thing I love for this Burberry show may be the bags.
Surely I see some Prada reference as well.

19-06-2011
Looking Up

It definitely looks thoughtful and quite smart, but this is simply just too good-boy for me. I'd feel like a grandma's boy wearing this stuff

19-06-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackos View Post
It's lovely, so colourful and energetic. Feels like Prada S/S 05 with a coloured melange vibe.
this is exactly the first thing i thought. he has embraced the same artisanal spirit that prada worked off of for a couple of years where she gave us that melange of color, craft, and texture that made her cash registers ring off the hook. i just love the way he's unpacked the vocabulary of burberry and tucked into it this african influence that feels so right -- and so new for a house like burberry who just dabbled in biker paraphernalia last year. and much like that prada collection, it wouldn't take that much of this collection to give one's current wardrobe an entirely different spin.

it's interesting to note however that this collection didn't feel like a sell-it-all-right-now commercial collection like some of his recent ready-to-wear outings have. in fact, as others have noticed, it contained much of the same influence from the in-between resort collection that tends to send his core fanbase into a frenzy.

i'm curious if this means we'll see something this vibrant and lively for the women as well.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
I agree about the knits for summer. What are designers thinking? I love knits and I'm okay with a few pieces in the show, but when it dominates the whole collection, it confuses me. It's just not practical. It's difficult enough to dress for summer and you are offering me knitwear? The same goes for Raf's collection, too. I need more offerings of actual summer clothing because spring isn't long enough for me to be purchasing knits for the spring/summer season.
except these clothes will hit the stores in the dead of winter. a winter, one should note, that didn't really wear off until mid-april (or later) of this year in many parts. burberry remains one of the most commercial houses out there: they're putting out these clothes because they know they will sell. all of those studded leather jackets and knits did just fine last "spring/summer" for burberry (which occurred sometime in mid-february when we still fought off snow).

backstage pass

I love the colorful native american patterns and textures, I think the hats are unnecessary in this particular collection. I like it in general. (Oh, and the maxi bags are to die for).

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
except these clothes will hit the stores in the dead of winter. a winter, one should note, that didn't really wear off until mid-april (or later) of this year in many parts. burberry remains one of the most commercial houses out there: they're putting out these clothes because they know they will sell. all of those studded leather jackets and knits did just fine last "spring/summer" for burberry (which occurred sometime in mid-february when we still fought off snow).
I understand that. But would it make sense to send out tees and shorts for a fall/winter collection that hits the racks during summer even though it will sell? Are we going to be purchasing winter jackets from spring collections then? They might as well switch the seasons. All I'm saying is, I personally want to have more options for spring and summer. If fall collections have knits and summer collections have knits, what the hell am I left with to choose from?

Last edited by Ives927; 19-06-2011 at 02:21 AM.
19-06-2011
tfs star

feels like Prada meet Topman...

19-06-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
I understand that. But would it make sense to send out tees and shorts for a fall/winter collection that hits the racks during summer even though it will sell? Are we going to be purchasing winter jackets from spring collections then? They might as well switch the seasons. All I'm saying is, I personally want to have more options for spring and summer. If fall collections have knits and summer collections have knits, what the hell am I left with to choose from?
while the runway might convince you of that fact, burberry produces warm weather options virtually year round with their various lines (london, brit, sport, et al). they just choose not to showcase those looks on the runway.

V.I.P.

Baaaaaaaaad
It feels too heavy and warm for a summer collection...and lot of things looked extremely big and unflattering

When in doubt, wear red.

I really like it.
I think it's been a while since Christopher Bailey didn't propose such a fresh collection. He started to be a little traped in his hip-rock kind of style. Now I feel like I've found back the lightness of his early collctions. There's some misses of course, those hats for example are simply hideous and should be burnt. That's may be why the first model took 5 minutes to finally come out. But I think that even though the aesthectic isn't really original, there's something really positive about this collection. I love all these prints, and even if think there's a bit too much knits or coats you don't have to wear a total look. If you want some of this brillant printed sweaters or Tees you can still wear them with sandals and shorts. That's why I love Bailey so much, he always give you as many options as you want. In one outfit, you can find five diffferent looks to wear in five different occasions. There's also something quite timeless about these pieces, I know that if I buy one sweater I could still wear it in 3 or 4 seasons. Finally, I think it's definitely their best collection when it comes to bags, they are so great.

Alluring

I don't really see a big problem with the knitwear here. Just because there's word Summer in the title it doesn't mean it's meant for the tropical temperatures only. You might need something warmer for the early spring days or evenings, and there's a really good dose of these in this collection.

20-06-2011
Looking Up

^ Precisely! I hugely appreciate designers who design for a 'variety' of summers. The thought that summer is strictly sun and warmness is an untrue cliche. Being where I am requires many items from this collection, especially the light and waterproof jackets.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, burberry, mens, milan, prorsum, s or s