How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2011
Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Christopher Bailey hasn't moved in a different direction in years, but I will never bring myself to hate any of his work because it's the most practical, beautiful, functional and comfortable stuff I've ever seen. He never makes anything undesirable. His menswear has never failed to captivate me. Those coats
Exactly.

Sure, it's not ground-breaking, but with the time I got accustomed to liking it as it is. Everything's wonderfully wearable and the coats are delicious indeed.

07-12-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienHSM View Post
Those desert boots high heels for women are beyond disgusting, they make the feet look so huge!
Btw, does anybody else see a Carine Roitfield -ish model?
That was the first thing I noticed. Her feet look huge. How terrible!

07-12-2011
backstage pass

I forgot to add that I'm buying pieces of this collection because of Christopher. i have the BIGGEST man crush on him! haha

08-12-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

i love that christopher bailey has found a formula that works for that juggernaut of a house. he continues to put out utterly spectacular fashion basics for his in-between collections. sure, some of it looks repetitive, but it doesn't take away from how perfect these pieces would look incorporated in a modern sophisticate's every day wardrobe.

and he has an absolute eye for great commercial pieces: i have my eye on one of those dog sweaters already.

rising star

I love it.Classic ,luxurious and timeless as Burberry should be.

09-12-2011
backstage pass

exactly, timeless and incredible beautiful

09-12-2011
V.I.P.

Some of it is insipid, but there are some lovely gowns, and coats in there.

09-12-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

It's very cute, very good but very safe and tamed too. There's nothing to say about the quality of the clothes even if it's just pictures you can tell how well made they look and they are really appealing. But sometimes, even if I like Christopher's work, I wished he'd dare to go further. I can't see how I can defend him if we get 80% of this collection in the RTW.

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 09-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.
12-01-2012
V.I.P.

by Sarah Mower

Quote:
There’s a distinct atmosphere of something softer and more romantically English country house–like around Christopher Bailey’s pre-fall Burberry collection. It’s not that he’s plunged completely into a vintage narrative, but there’s a feel of a thirties aristocratic house party in the long, slim, langorous crępe evening dresses with their puffed sleeves, the smart tailored coats with fitted, seamed waists, the corduroy jackets and narrow skirts with peplumed pockets, the muted colors and vaguely chintzy chrysanthemum prints. Agreed, the narrow flares, military bomber jackets, and sweaters with an owl cartoon on the front are hardly “period” dress—these are the expected continuations of Burberry’s young, contemporary pieces. Still, despite the stylized way Burberry photographs its lookbooks, there’s enough of the Nancy Mitford heroine (or is it Wallis Simpson?) about this collection to hazard a guess at what the main Burberry collection might look like by the time it’s fully fledged for the runway show in London in February. Even the accessories that are on exhibit at Burberry’s giant headquarters on Horseferry Road offer a hint about the thirties research that must have been done by the design teams. On display: modernized cloches, felt hats that wouldn’t look out of place walking the moors at Balmoral, and new, box-shaped evening bags whose ancestry clearly goes back to Art Deco Bakelite minaudičres.

All of this adds up to a Burberry proposition which feels nicely at ease with itself this season—simultaneously at home with that hint of nostalgic Britishness and the sharp technical modernity Bailey brings to the brand. What’s really clever is the way those two strands fuse in the fabric and cut of this collection’s outerwear. Here, Bailey updates salt-and-pepper tweed and twill (lovely to look at in their traditional form, but too bulky and scratchy to wear these days) in coat shapes in soft, lightened-up material that can be close-cut into seamed torsos and narrow sleeves, and then gives a springy volume to a belled skirt below. The effect? Feminine and vaguely princess-like, but lithe and unforced. Hard not to imagine this isn’t a direct appeal to a certain new member of the British royal family. Those coats look just like something the Duchess of Cambridge will want for all those outdoor public engagements she’ll be attending in 2012.
-vogue

By Tim Blanks

Quote:
For Spring, fashion's rearview mirror reflected the sheen and glamour of the Jazz Age, but with Burberry's new pre-collection, Christopher Bailey dialed forward a few years to the pre-WWII thirties. Not Hollywood escapism, mind you, but true Brit grit, reflected in strict silhouettes, honest fabrics, and modest, almost demure details. For instance, cashmere intarsias featured the humble sparrow and the pigeon. In the spirit of play, all that was missing was a packet of bread crumbs. Elsewhere, the focus was firmly on serious, tweedy tailoring. Jackets had harder, extended shoulders and nipped waists, sometimes with a bell peplum. Knee-length skirts were lean, often flaring into a fluted hem. Polka-dotted chiffon blouses had ***** bows or puff sleeves and covered buttons.

The dark color palette told its own sober story: sage, bracken, lavender, charcoal, pewter. They meant the ruched evening gowns pointed to austerity rather than opulence. But hang on a minute—there's plenty of new documentation about the heady times had by London's demimonde both immediately before and during the war. Those gowns, with their slit bodices and slashed skirts, also had a wanton quality that suggested wingdings at the city's grand hotels. And, at the end of her wild night out, Bailey's pre-war party girl could grab her enameled Deco minaudičre, throw a tweed mink over her bare shoulders, and head out into the fog.
-style

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, burberry, prefall, prorsum