How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-09-2011
backstage pass

Ok let me see if I have this straight? If you're thinking you want some Burberry bang for your buck right now these be the options?-

In the physical stores, I take it, what we saw at 'resort'? or

Online, with 7-8 weeks wait on pre-order, this collection 'ss12' - that isn't ss. But hey, what's in a label.

But isn't this the rub - you'd have to, surely, like something much, much more in this collection over 'resort' to justify waiting? It's almost like the wait when you buy a sofa. The Burberry fan is, I'd imagine, unlikely to encounter a situation where they totally hate everything @ Resort/ in stores now but love an item so much in this collection that they'll wait instead and just have half a season's use.

Good cashflow ruse from Burberry (not that they need it) as via online they have your cash now but don't have to deliver product yet. You're advancing Burberry credit. Pay now, have later?

Still, regardless, it is an interesting business-fashion model in terms of the potential for data comparison across platforms. Comparative volumes but not only that - which lines sell best online?, which in store? How does the customer demographic vary, how best to speak to each constituency?

Because if you weren't developing two different aesthetics, (or didn't need to because no real differentation between the online/instore customer base) what would be the point? Because, come 7-8 weeks time, when production has churned out your beloved piece - hey it's in the store anyway. So you might as well have had use of your money in the interim instead of Burberry having it.

They're very clever because undoubtedly they'll have gotten some impulse purchasing online - see the show, moved by the beauty and emotion of it all (oh the soundtrack, oh the shelebrities, oh the exclusivity), hit that buy button. Instead of bankrolling Burberry's production, a more measured, rational, approach would see you hold fire and hit the stores. There are a lot of brands out there. If you really need a new coat? Now. Whoops?

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 20-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.

20-09-2011
V.I.P.

If it would be a F/W collection I'd love it, but now I'm not convinced.

20-09-2011
trendsetter

I love how epic the video's make it........the music and the creshendo's! its all great.

collection really is growing on me. Really studied one of the garments for my website and drew it and the material and craftsmanship is absolutely amazing.

20-09-2011
Once King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacl Ventricl View Post
Ok let me see if I have this straight? If you're thinking you want some Burberry bang for your buck right now these be the options?-

In the physical stores, I take it, what we saw at 'resort'? or

Online, with 7-8 weeks wait on pre-order, this collection 'ss12' - that isn't ss. But hey, what's in a label.
Well resort is commonly a part of the Prorsum runway so it helps serve the portion of the transitional piece. 7-8 weeks are not long at all in the grand scheme of seasons and you'll get to wear your late winter Spring/Summer Burberry that much earlier. Or if you are from lucky stock and can afford a nice vacation to a warm climate in the middle of a grueling winter then you are ahead of the curb.

If we take the menswear in account (lol who am I kidding no one cares about menswear here) guys were wearing their S/S 2012 pieces in the middle of August!

But the true genius in this revolves around the power of impulse purchases. The time is extra limited and instead of having all fall and winter to think over their new Spring buys with the horror of having somebody buy the last bag in the whole east coast you can get your shopping done earlier. It's pretty common to mark things off a buy list once a person has time to thing it all over.

Last edited by Desi; 20-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
20-09-2011
fashion elite

i really enjoyed this collection. to me it was a touch of classic burberry and plain creative designs

rising star

I'm loving this, some outfits are a bit too wintery though.

21-09-2011
scenester

I love this. For fall.

21-09-2011
Čre de ℳodernité

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacl Ventricl View Post
Because if you weren't developing two different aesthetics, (or didn't need to because no real differentation between the online/instore customer base) what would be the point? Because, come 7-8 weeks time, when production has churned out your beloved piece - hey it's in the store anyway. So you might as well have had use of your money in the interim instead of Burberry having it.
I'm not sure I got it right, so if I didn't please ignore my comment. But if you're implying that, by the time you get your pre-ordered piece, it will already be in stores; you're wrong. I got my pre-ordered SS12 bag in early august, and the spring '12 collections will be in the boutiques in what... January or February? Definitely a good deal if you don't want to have to wait for months to get something you loved. For me, it also happened at a very convenient time since I was travelling in August and needed a new bag to carry my stuff. That cabas ended up meeting my expectations and I'm really happy with it. Not to mention it's always pretty cool to own something you're sure you won't see anyone (or there are very little chances you do) wearing

fashion insider

26-09-2011
front row

At the beginning i didn't knew what to think. But watching the details and closeups i totally like this. Is colourful and diferent for Burberry but with an awesome craftmanship. I just didn't like the fact of a very homogeneus collection and watch this 3 months before in the cruise shoots. Burberry goes really fast, is it necessary to show the clothes in twitter just a few minutes before they show it in runway?

fashion insider

Full Show

27-09-2011
front row

one of my favorite collections from SS2012.Livestream was good.and all the colours and layering.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, burberry, london, prorsum, s or s