How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2005
fashion elite

Butt Magazine Interview with Bernhard Willhelm
Butt #1
Spring 2001
Release date: May 4, 2001
68 pages on pink paper

www.buttmagazine.com/Issues/1_Bernhard.html

08-05-2005
fashion elite

And a really great video of Diane Pernet interviewing Willhelm that connects to this article a bit

http://www.disciplefilms.com/ChapelsPop/Chapels_BW.html

08-05-2005
tfs star

I think it's quite ironic that he's so open to talk about sex in this interview, even though he doesn't use bold displays of sex in his work...and the designers that DO use a hefty dose sexuality in their clothings are hardly NEVER this open to talk about it.

At least Gaultier admits to frequenting sex clubs.

Bravo to Bernhard!

08-05-2005
fashion elite

Trophy--interesting point.
Also remember that this magazine emphasizes the sexuality of everyone they interview or write up--to an almost absurd extent that can be really entertaining. But yeah, the fact that he participated in this certainly shows that he is open about it.

09-05-2005
backstage pass

It's only recently, for some reason, that his clothes have begun to turn me on, I'm very attracted to his being so willing to be absurd, to have a kind of 'why not' attitude. But really, this is what you're left with or this is what you start with when you abstract 'luxury' from the equation. The clothes are so full of whimsy and emotion, they feel like something you'd just grab from the closet and throw on and go. But then, to me at least, they are mysterious as well, they give up all this information and yet no information, kind of like BW himself, you don't know what to do with his candor.

a dim capacity for wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfas
And a really great video of Diane Pernet interviewing Willhelm that connects to this article a bit

http://www.disciplefilms.com/ChapelsPop/Chapels_BW.html
i love this
thanks for posting, cerfas!

09-05-2005
fashion elite

You're welcome, anna_k...isn't that a beautiful video, the way it is not clear in the beginning that they are cooking with the fabric + then the cooking analogy slowly unfolds. Actually I think it would have been just as good had they not made it literal.
Birdofparadise, Scott and I were talking about these contradictions in the other B.W. thread I started, I forget its name. Here this article frankly speaking about sex, and then his contemporaneous collection that was decidedly childish. Etc.

09-05-2005
backstage pass

I didn't like the magazine interview at all until I saw the video. I never would have connected his tone of voice with those penned words but once you do, it kind of explains everything; perhaps we share the same penchant for sound.

fashion elite

Hearing the tone of his voice, the way he phrased and said certain things made it sound more loving, careful, thoughtful. And the questions/answers in the interview were not so completely sex-centered, they were much more about his work. It's interesting how they support each other, but I think the written article especially needs the video.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bernhard, butt, interview, magazine, willhelm