How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

I adore the texture of everything and how soft it all looks, but most of the silhouettes just aren't doing it for me.

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

Oh my. Everything looks so lush! I love everything I see here... I loved the wrap-around design on some of the outerwear.

The closing blue dress was beautiful!

03-03-2013
front row

One word: jaundice.

V.I.P.

WOW, this was just perfect. There wasn't anything wrong with it. It just kept getting better and better.

03-03-2013
backstage pass

While I do like it the collection, I still have problems with the entire image of the show (this is a whole other issue). What still surprises me is how Phoebe Philo can essentially bite from other designers without anyone batting an eye lash.

03-03-2013
Stitch:the Hand

^exactly.

i will say that i do enjoy the mood of the collection....it's elegantly comfortable. but does it especially stand out? not really since much of what i see is pretty much derivative of ideas a lot of us have seen even a decade or so ago.

03-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightguard View Post
I guess there are no people of color in her minimalist world.
I see some Asians. We're people of color, too.

This is her strongest collection since her debut. I agree with those who mention a maternal aesthetic here. Soft, warm, tender, the clothes seeming like cocoons that fold and wrap the wearer. Is it particularly innovative? No, Phoebe Philo has never been about pushing the boundaries of fashion.

Sometimes, all you can ask for is beauty, and she certainly delivered.

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightguard View Post
While I do like it the collection, I still have problems with the entire image of the show (this is a whole other issue). What still surprises me is how Phoebe Philo can essentially bite from other designers without anyone batting an eye lash.
Well, in my initial post about the collection I mentioned the influence of Raf's final collection for Jil Sander (in the feminine tone, pale colours, & outwear) and the fact that the tone and boots reminded me of Jil's own Jil Sander spring collection. I even said I am surprised no one else noticed. Have a look through either of those collections side-by-side and the similarities are evident. I am not saying it's plagiarism but clearly its influence. I am sure no designers are impervious to influence! I don't mean this in a bad way.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 03-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.

04-03-2013
V.I.P.

Every piece is sooo beautiful.. I'm in love

scenester

Geoffrey Beene coat from 2003. I guess I'll just leave this here. geoffreybeene.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 11.jpg (107.6 KB, 17 views)

04-03-2013
V.I.P.

^ Great point out! I suppose you can never design in total abstraction. And always nice to know where the point of reference is, even if that's not necessary accurate.

04-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDiorHomme View Post
This collection is nice , but, EVERYONE DOES THIS CELINE LOOK NOW.

and Helmut Lang did that print more than a decade ago.
How cud I missed that...I must say it look a lot more convincing with Helmut!

04-03-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KookyQuirk View Post
One word: jaundice.

Love the collection but I totally see that.

04-03-2013
Fat Karl

I realize that Philo certainly is referencing other designers - Helmut Lang, Geoffrey Beene, etc. - but I take no offense to it.

There are designers who are so far removed from fashion that their vision is and has always been so completely unique (Yohji, Ann, Rei, etc.). These designers are incredible and inspiring beyond belief. There are other designers who are more involved in the fashion world and who are able to take anything or everything that they see, find or remember and incorporate it into their work (consciously or unconsciously) while still being able to have an powerful, interesting and important point of view that is instantly recognizable, season after season. In my opinion, this kind of designer is no less talented than the aforementioned designers. Designers like Marc Jacobs, Miuccia Prada, Nicolas Ghesquiere and Phoebe Philo are able to gather up bits and pieces from fashion past and fashion present and piece it all together in a way that, while potentially referential, ultimately ends up being entirely personal to the said designer.
These two types of designers, in my opinion, are the best kind. Because in the end, whether they are referential or not, their voice as a designer is clear and specific. The type of designer that bothers me is the one with no real vision or point of view of their own - a designer who doesn't just lift the look or the construction of something from the past or the present, but also lifts the idea behind the garment or collection as well. That's where I take offense.

I've looked at this collection again and I love it even more. Everything looks so supple, so warm, so soft to the touch. Elegant and easy. It's great.

fashion insider

I want every single piece from this collection.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, celine, f or w, paris