The Céline syndrome - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2018
rising star

Ok, so now, with all the news that we heard I think its time this thread a revival.

I agreed with most everyone here, but I think that something need to be add in this conversation.

The global crises of 2008 and the rise of Celine, IMO, had a side effect: the rise of Zara, or the fast fashion market. I remember back in 2011 the windows of Zara full of the Celine copycats, and dont think that I find PP designers simples, but it was easy to these big corporations to emulate a Celine dress and sell for SO MUCH LESS, and its something that doesn't happen today that we living a Gucci by Alessandro trend era, they can't sell us a Gucci jacket that do the same thing that the original does. The huge growth of the Zara was only possible because of Celine.

This is something that I have thinking about the past year and I wanna hear what you guys think about.

Last edited by ghostwriter10549; 23-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.
23-01-2018
#Resist

^ I have some doubts as to whether these two things are related ...

There was a lot of press around the time of the global financial crisis that women were buying less, but more statementy, items, and that price was at least sometimes less of a consideration, because they were buying less. IOW, the items really needed to be special. Everyone had a pair of black pants already.

Now, quite possibly this analysis doesn't apply to the Zara customer. But minimalism didn't original with Celine either.

24-01-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter10549 View Post
But it was easy to these big corporations to emulate a Celine dress and sell for SO MUCH LESS, and its something that doesn't happen today that we living a Gucci by Alessandro trend era, they can't sell us a Gucci jacket that do the same thing that the original does.
Really? I'd say the embroidered copies that Zara does are more similar to the original Gucci bullsh*t than the closest they've ever got to recreating a Celine piece. You can't get the same shape with cheap fabrics as much as you try.

backstage pass

^Ditto. Pheobe's Céline was seen not as a novelty act but as the very best when it comes to wardrobe staples not just because of the design but because of the pristine tailoring and finishing. At the end of the day most of her work will stand the test of time wereas the copies were meant to be disposed of shortly after.

09-02-2018
rising star

Well, what I was trying to say is that when Celine made minimalism hot again, I was easy for the fast-fashion sell to the people this ideia of "luxury". Of course the you cant compare a Celine dress with a Zara dress, but the ideia that they are selling that you could be in fashion with less money really got the people.

I guess now the Gucci itens are had more details and a poor execution of Zara make everything worse, its not the same thing with Celine, at that time, at least, we had a nice dress on the windows of Zara.

13-02-2018
tfs star

I agree with YohjiAddict: it's easier for cheap brands to successfully copy Gucci (and YSL) than Céline. It's all a matter of fabric quality. Gucci's fabrics are easier to match with synthetic options or cheap options - tons of cotton, silk-satins, silk blends, velvet, lamé,... Even bad quality fabrics will kind of resemble that "80s trash" look. To copy Céline you really need good quality wools, cashmere,... And good tailoring. There's nothing there to catch your attention besides the fabric quality and tailoring. No embroidery, prints, shiny things. Zara is far from doing it successfully (I even think Mango had a few more successful copies with their Premium line - yet above Zara's price range).

Even smaller brands and designers that resemble Céline on instagram have price tags above 200€.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celine, syndrome