Calvin Klein F/W 2018.19 New York - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

Anyone know where I can watch the show with the original soundtrack?

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

As abominable as the snowman that inspired this waste of time collection. Beyond tragic and pretentious; don't even get me started on the "exposure" Amish dresses . The only things I liked were the Wile E Coyote and Road Runner sweaters; there are probably better versions available on eBay though .

1 Week Ago
barcode

I have to say, this collection is the final nail in the coffin for any good will I've ever had towards Raf as a designer whose work I never particularly liked, but who I respected if nothing else. How he even has the gall to look so pleased with himself upon taking a bow when he's essentially saying very loudly "I do not give a s**t about the house I work for or the man who built it" is amazing to me given his reputation as such an emotionally attuned and gentle soul.

I've seen equally talented, equally influential designers ripped to absolute shreds by both industry professionals and casual commentators alike for showing collections which -- while not a 100% accurate reflection of an existing house's codes -- at least tried to incorporate some of them. I mean really, Hedi Slimane spent three years being lambasted for creating clothes which, in quite a few cases, referenced the Yves Saint Laurent lexicon whether directly or indirectly, simply because the way he presented them was at odds with the founder's approach. Alessandra Faccinetti was tossed out at Valentino because her approach wasn't Valentino enough. Tom Ford took heaps of criticism because his YSL wasn't YSL enough. Sarah Burton is pretty much left to herself because her McQueen isn't McQueen enough. And yet each of those designers and the work that they did/do is measurably closer to the ethos of their respective brand's than Raf has even made an attempt to be. Shame on Simons for his utter disregard for the legacy of a house which dwarfs his own in terms of influence and importance, and shame on the fashion flock for not calling him out for it!

Bottom line is this; Raf, save this pretentious, overblown, self-indulgent crap for your own collection and acquaint yourself with the brand you're currently cashing a paycheck from, because it sure as hell seems like you need a crash course in what Calvin Klein is all about.

Last edited by Spike413; 1 Week Ago at 09:11 PM.
1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Critics are eating this collection up (of course - ugh).

What a waste of all that popcorn

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

I just donít get it, this is pretty awful. When he was at Jil Sander I really enjoyed his work (itís honestly closer to CK than whatever it is heís doing now). When he went to Dior, I had high hopes; but he put out maybe one or two good collections, the rest were rather contrived or just plain ugly.

Now that heís at Calvin Klein, I feel like heís using this promotion as an attempt to just make a Raf Simons womenswear label. He should have just made womanís collections under his own name rather than tarnish the house of CK.

1 Week Ago
front row

Lol @ trading costa & zuchelli for this.... at least I still have ebay. Was it his mission statement to neuter the sensuality of the brand?

Last edited by andrew; 1 Week Ago at 11:32 PM.
1 Week Ago
scenester

Cathy Horyn wrote: "his most complete and WEARABLE collection from Mr Simons..."

Girl, you need to separate the fanaticism and friendship from your job. I really enjoy her, but her reviews to Raf Simons always make me mad.

If what some members are saying about the "trilogy" collection, let's pray to be real. Because I'm not interested in that f*cking ugly plumber with cowboy boots for a FOURTH TIME.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I have to say, this collection is the final nail in the coffin for any good will I've ever had towards Raf as a designer whose work I never particularly liked, but who I respected if nothing else. How he even has the gall to look so pleased with himself upon taking a bow when he's essentially saying very loudly "I do not give a s**t about the house I work for or the man who built it" is amazing to me given his reputation as such an emotionally attuned and gentle soul.

I've seen equally talented, equally influential designers ripped to absolute shreds by both industry professionals and casual commentators alike for showing collections which -- while not a 100% accurate reflection of an existing house's codes -- at least tried to incorporate some of them. I mean really, Hedi Slimane spent three years being lambasted for creating clothes which, in quite a few cases, referenced the Yves Saint Laurent lexicon whether directly or indirectly, simply because the way he presented them was at odds with the founder's approach. Alessandra Faccinetti was tossed out at Valentino because her approach wasn't Valentino enough. Tom Ford took heaps of criticism because his YSL wasn't YSL enough. Sarah Burton is pretty much left to herself because her McQueen isn't McQueen enough. And yet each of those designers and the work that they did/do is measurably closer to the ethos of their respective brand's than Raf has even made an attempt to be. Shame on Simons for his utter disregard for the legacy of a house which dwarfs his own in terms of influence and importance, and shame on the fashion flock for not calling him out for it!

Bottom line is this; Raf, save this pretentious, overblown, self-indulgent crap for your own collection and acquaint yourself with the brand you're currently cashing a paycheck from, because it sure as hell seems like you need a crash course in what Calvin Klein is all about.
100% Agree Spike, its good to know others know the immense impact Calvin Klein had on fashion. His mixing of sexy minimalism and sportswear made him standout and I see his influence even in Phoebe's Celine and Lemaire. Also the trend of designer jeans started with him in 78. I remember in NYC I would see some girls wearing it but between 79-82, CK jeans were every where. Raf has turned CK into a boring mess, the same clinical style but its now bizarre and ugly, as another member wrote its like he is having some "mid life crisis". Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy from many fashion critics, they fawn over certain designers and gas their egoes thinking anything they do is a fashion moment.

1 Week Ago
windowshopping

I've been a fan of his first and second collection--minus the fringe atrocity he served as dresses--at Calvin Klein. But this one? Oh gosh, calling it atrocious is an understatement.

Where do I even begin?

The firefighter looks are a sad atttempt at replicating Demna's tired vision of today's irony-based fashion. Critics may call it intellectual, but I see it as nothing but an insult to the blue-collars. They don't deserve this capitalist-driven appropriation in which people in manual-labour occupations and industrial work are reduced to gimmicks.

And what's with the food waste? I can't believe no legit liberal-leaning publication has taken offense at it for the reason that it's downright disrespectful (most fashion people seemed to glorify the idea and even if there were some complaints, they were mostly about how uncomfortable the venue was to walk on).

I still have faith in him, though. I hope this collection is just an experiment gone wrong.

Last edited by Ken Doll Jenner; 1 Week Ago at 03:37 AM.
1 Week Ago
windowshopping

People want to talk about pretentious...how about this feigned concerned over popcorn on the floor? Seriously? How dare they waste this food when it could be fed to animals that can be slaughtered to make bags!

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

Wow some of these posts are ridiculously harsh.

1 Week Ago
fashion icon

^^
Exactly how most his designs for this collection are.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

the current state of fashion makes me just sad....how can anyone consider this good?

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I guess those firemen are there to save the house from burning down.

NO THANKS.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

He really needs to get over the cowboy thing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
calvin, f or w, klein, york