Cassette Playa - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
20-11-2006
rising star

Terrible club-kid freak culture clothes... too many nights at The **** and Kashpoint obviously...

20-11-2006
Stitch:the Hand

I was reading something about these guys the other day,that it was all part of this underground movement going on with fashion and music. The thing that really annoyed me was how they lumped Bernhard Willhelm and Henrik Vibskov into that mix with these guys style. I feel there is a lack of substance in this compared with them. Especially when everything gets on the racks,you'll find that there are alot of quieter pieces by them. Which is kind of what bugs me,here,there doesn't seem to be alot of balance...almost the entire collection consists of these wildly colourful and printed pieces. I think if you're going to want to find that customer base that'll respond to your work,you got to create some kind of melange....not everybody is going to want to wear these kinds of clothes.

20-11-2006
trendsetter

i dont like this at all. it is just too comical and literally eighties in its essence

20-11-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I was reading something about these guys the other day,that it was all part of this underground movement going on with fashion and music. The thing that really annoyed me was how they lumped Bernhard Willhelm and Henrik Vibskov into that mix with these guys style. I feel there is a lack of substance in this compared with them. Especially when everything gets on the racks,you'll find that there are alot of quieter pieces by them. Which is kind of what bugs me,here,there doesn't seem to be alot of balance...almost the entire collection consists of these wildly colourful and printed pieces. I think if you're going to want to find that customer base that'll respond to your work,you got to create some kind of melange....not everybody is going to want to wear these kinds of clothes.
Could someone in their right mind link Wilhelm and Vibskov in the same group as these guys?
i mean, Bernhard has done some crap in his time, but it is not because he isnt a designer with genuine talent. we have seen throughout his career that he is indeed a brilliant designer
lets see when the people craving for this kind of stuff , feel the need for something else, if its creators have the range and depth to come up with something new and lasting.....................................

20-11-2006
V.I.P.

I wouldn't take this so seriously. I would definetily not call her the designer of the decade, and it might well be her time to go soon. But at the moment, I enjoy the look of her clothes. To me, it is about moment with Cassette Playa.

20-11-2006
Stitch:the Hand

^well,that's the thing. I mean,obviously they're being carried by some shops. why not just sell made to order stuff or do mostly costume design for their artists they dress. it seems pointless to start up a fashion business if they intend on playing on some flash-in-the-pan,throw-away aesthetic. there's so many new talents coming up with loads of depth in their work,just itching to have their own fashion business but we as an industry continue to focus on this kind of stuff?

08-02-2007
windowshopping

love it - so fun and irreverent for our serious realities. a lot like Stephen Sprouse's stuff in the 1980s...

08-02-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
Yes and much as I love Will Smith, I don't want to dress like him. And I realise how anti-fashion I sound here -but it is ugly and furthermore there is no artisty involved (at least in the menswear). I don't like clothes that are purely about colour. I am more interested in shape.
Well, Will certainly doesn't dress like that anymore!

OMW, this stuff is soooo Kid n' Play. I mean, the dude in the first post even has a fade! It's crazy old-school ghetto fab. I don't understand how people take stuff like this so seriously. The designer obviously isn't trying to do anything revolutionary. It's like an ode to the good 'ole days of hip hop and r&b. I could seriously picture my mom wearing things like this back in the day

And, OMG, Sonic! My favorite hedgehog

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen
Well, Will certainly doesn't dress like that anymore!

OMW, this stuff is soooo Kid n' Play. I mean, the dude in the first post even has a fade! It's crazy old-school ghetto fab. I don't understand how people take stuff like this so seriously. The designer obviously isn't trying to do anything revolutionary. It's like an ode to the good 'ole days of hip hop and r&b. I could seriously picture my mom wearing things like this back in the day

And, OMG, Sonic! My favorite hedgehog
My, and I assume most of the other "negative" posters, problem with her collections is that I don't think irony has it's place in design anymore. The whole idea of "guilty pleasures" is a cop out IMHO, a refusal to admit that some of the things you like might not be considered relevant in more refined circles, hence the need to present them as items you don't seriously value but enjoy for the second degree entertainment you get from promoting and wearing something you know is ridiculous. If I felt the designer was sincere and enjoyed the aesthetic presented on a basic, visceral level I would respect her work, especially considering sincerity and clear vision always shines through, but this is, sadly, not the case.

V.I.P.

seven is going to start stocking cp soon..... i am excited!

10-02-2007
fashion insider

For me, the first such designer that I ever saved up for this stuff was WLT...

07-08-2007
rising star

yo ne1 got info on a/w shizz???? i been emalin dsm n dey aint respondin u kno i gettin pist... i emaled carri bout sum stuff n i thnkin i gon emale bout aw.

God Save McQueen

I looked at her site. egads. Why would you pay 100 bucks for something that you could find for 95 cents at Value Village/Goodwill/Salvation Army.

07-08-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
I looked at her site. egads. Why would you pay 100 bucks for something that you could find for 95 cents at Value Village/Goodwill/Salvation Army.
WHAT I SED WEN I SAW U MAMA.

U STOOPZ.

Push it to pop it!

I'm not surprised that they didn't respond to you......

Anyway- Some of it is too expensive. Some of the t-shirts which cost like $100 are made by American Apparel. They are pretty awesome looking, which is why i have one, but the quality isn't any better than a $15 t-shirt....

Other than that, i love everything about CP, and you definitely can't find it at Value Village

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cassette, playa