How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2005
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
i think he was ok, just not as spectacular as some would like him to be..
I liked what he did.....

26-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
on the runway, it was strange. in the boutique, it was gorgeous.
A person in the audience or seeing it on Style.com wouldn't get that impression. I get the impression that the clothes are technicolor nightmares. I give credit where it's due, I did like his variation on the Boogie bag, although the bag was already great to begin with.

BTW I dont think Ive ever seen an advert for Celine.

26-05-2005
backstage pass

I don't know Peter Som, but OMG, if roland mouret designs for celine I will die and go to heaven TWICE.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

Last edited by evexa; 26-05-2005 at 04:27 PM.
26-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwalker
Well I'm very disapointed in this

I actually think Mr Kors wasn't great, but this is a definite step down, his collections for Burberry were just weird, Italian minimalism (think how improved Burberry has become with Christopher Bailey at the helm) and I can't see it working for Celine

As for his own collection - whats the point? J Crew or Club Monaco have more directional product

I don't know why they didn't give a younger designer a chance to do a witty, chic take on Celine, someone like Proenza Scholoer, Sophia Kokosolaki or Luella Bartley (especially after seeing her Fall 04/05 collection) could have really given that house some life whilst keeping the essence of a chic preppy French house

I agree about the lesser known designer being preferable, although not proenza.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.
26-05-2005
etre soi-meme

i think Som is fine for this house, really not Sophia at Celine..

26-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
A person in the audience or seeing it on Style.com wouldn't get that impression. I get the impression that the clothes are technicolor nightmares. I give credit where it's due, I did like his variation on the Boogie bag, although the bag was already great to begin with.

BTW I dont think Ive ever seen an advert for Celine.
they are in vogue occassionally but they are never gaudy or obvious.

Have to give props to my friend at celine - they are awesome.

27-05-2005
etre soi-meme

no mention to Som at wwd of today.. seems that they also wanted Raf at Celine.. now ..could that be a strange choice for celine or not? seems that they are decided to give the house of celine a real strong tilt

Quote:
Confirming another spin of fashion's revolving door, Celine president and chief executive Jean Marc Loubier said Thursday the house hopes to name a successor to designer Roberto Menichetti sometime next month.

As reported in WWD Wednesday, Peter Som is believed to be among the candidates being courted by Celine, a division of luxury giant LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

Loubier declined to comment on which candidates are up for the job, saying it could jeopardize negotiations. However, it is believed the search includes a few marquee names. Indeed, one of the key runners-up in the initial search last year to replace longtime Celine artistic director Michael Kors was Raf Simons, who on Thursday signed with rival Prada Group to become creative director at Jil Sander.

Sources said LVMH renewed its overtures toward Simons about two months ago, but was rebuffed as he pursued talks with Prada.

Loubier would only say Celine's next designer is expected to be in place to show a spring-summer 2006 collection in October that "will be consistent with what we do. We always value creativity, but applied to real products done with charm."

Celine's cruise collection, to be unveiled to press and buyers in the coming days, was "launched" by Menichetti, but executed by the in-house design team, Loubier said.

Menichetti's departure ends a lackluster one-year collaboration. In recent weeks, the designer and Celine failed to reach an agreement to continue their partnership, with Menichetti eager to devote more time to his signature collection, which he designs from his home base of Gubbio, Italy, about an eight-hour commute to Paris.

"We end our relationship on very good terms, because the issue on my part was that I couldn't dedicate enough time to Celine," Menichetti told WWD. "Not only do I design my brand, but I'm also its majority shareholder, so I need to be extremely dedicated. I wish Celine well, but right now I must prioritize my brand."

He hinted at new projects for his brand, like the possibility of opening directly operated stores or rounding out the lineup.

Loubier characterized the split as mutual and without rancor, while acknowledging poor reviews of Menichetti's two collections for the house. Before Celine, Menichetti had been creative director of Burberry for three years, and had worked at Jil Sander in Hamburg, Germany.
from wwd

29-05-2005
memoirs of a...

The first collection was horrible, but the second was a major improvement. You cannot discount the designer without seeing these:

Some of the pieces are Prada-esque, but the lines are softer. Wearable luxury. This is a identity that is suitable for Celine. Give him sometime and he might be good enough to fill Kors' shoes. I think Kors has done some amazing work, but his looks could be too overstyled at times. Menichetti in comparison seems fresh. I am sad to see him go.

As for his replacement, I can think of a couple designers who were at one point all rumored to head Givenchy: Sophia Kokosalaki (but her own line is just taking off, having moved to Paris two seasons ago), Derek Lam (he is poised to become the Next Big Thing at NY after Proenza Schouler), and Patrick Robinson (but he's just signed with Paco Rabanne).

Peter Som? You are kidding. He is not as good as Derek Lam or Jeffery Chow or even Behnaz Sarapfour. Also say no to Giles Deacons.

14-06-2005
etre soi-meme

seems that Peter Som is now out of question..
check the wwd update

Quote:
It looks like LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton might have a woman in mind to become the next designer of Celine. According to sources, the French house has recently been in touch with a bevy of designing women, including Azzaro's Vanessa Seward, former Gucci girl Alessandra Facchinetti, Veronique Branquinho and Tara Subkoff of Imitation of Christ. Last month, the house parted ways with Roberto Menichetti and said it hoped to name a successor shortly. On Monday, a Celine spokesman declined to comment on its list of potential candidates but acknowledged, "There are plenty of rumors."
know nothing about Vanessa Seward.. but please no Facchinetti or
Tara Subkoff ..could Veronique Branquinho fit in? she seems like their best choice out of this list

Last edited by Lena; 14-06-2005 at 03:43 AM.
14-06-2005
kit
tfs star

I think that CELINE is rapidly becoming a ' Cinderella ' house for LVMH , a la Christian Lacroix .

It's a sophisticated house with far more going for it than all the super naffness of , it SO pains me to say , Christian Dior , under the drug fuelled machinations of John Galliano .

I actually think that Giles Deacon WOULD be good for the house , he's a sophisticated designer with years of solid graft to hone his style . Alexandra Fachinetti , also , has a lot going for her , but perhaps she's wary of these huge talent-consuming conglomerates , after her experience with GUCCI .
Whether Arnault et al would be willing to take a chance on GILES is anybody's guess , but with GIVENCHY starting over with a new and relatively untried designer , God knows what the balance sheets for these secondary houses will be like at the end of the financial year .
Perhaps now is the time to start recycling Tom Ford , God love us !!!!!!

14-06-2005
etre soi-meme

Gilles would be perfect for celine.. but he wouldnt/shouldnt go,
his collections are really taking off now

my honest opinion on this is that they did a big mistake when they let Kors go..
i'm sure they are regreting this by now

14-06-2005
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Gilles would be perfect for celine.. but he wouldnt/shouldnt go,
his collections are really taking off now

my honest opinion on this is that they did a big mistake when they let Kors go..
i'm sure they are regreting this by now
Absolutely , Lena .

No matter WHAT Karl Lagerfeld said about Michael Kors , he certainly has the talent to create the most luxurious American sportswear .

14-06-2005
Mannikin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
Absolutely , Lena .

No matter WHAT Karl Lagerfeld said about Michael Kors , he certainly has the talent to create the most luxurious American sportswear .
I third this. Celine was blockbuster under Kors.

06-07-2005
etre soi-meme

here we go, introducing Ivana

Quote:
It looks like she had the inside track.

After interviewing a slate of prominent female candidates, Celine has opted for an in-house talent, Ivana Omazic, to become its next designer, WWD has learned.

According to a source here, 32-year-old Omazic, who joined Celine as a consultant last April from Miu Miu, will be named to head design at the fashion and accessories firm owned by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton. An announcement is expected shortly.

Omazic will succeed Roberto Menichetti, who exited Celine last May after a lackluster one-year collaboration. Although she had a hand in the cruise line already sold to buyers, Omazic is expected to show her first complete collection on the runway during Paris Fashion Week in October.

Born in Zagreb, Croatia, Omazic studied fashion at the European Institute of Design in Milan. Upon graduation, she joined Romeo Gigli for one year before moving on to Prada Group. There, she worked on the Prada Sport and Jil Sander brands, but she was most recently women's ready-to-wear design coordinator at Miu Miu.

Neither LVMH nor Celine officials could be reached for comment on Tuesday. However, it is understood the house was eager to find a designer willing to be devoted exclusively to Celine
from wwd

06-07-2005
Swim Upstream

thaks Lena - interesting. I was never a fan of Celine but i agree that to a large extent he made it what it is today. It is the epitomy of american chic I think.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
celine, ivana, omazic, updated