How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

CFDA Designers for Target + Neiman Marcus (Marc Jacobs, Rodarte, Rag & Bone, Etc.)
H&M may have landed Donatella and Karl, but Target has always been on the cutting edge of designer collaborations, from the groundbreaking Isaac Mizrahi partnership and the GO International program to the mass hysteria that was the store-wide Missoni collection and the innovative boutique-within-a-store concept, Shops At Target, just this year.
Now Target is testing another version of designer collaboration. According to Women's Wear Daily, the retailer has enlisted 24 CFDA designers to contribute to a limited edition holiday collection... and it's got Neiman Marcus signed on to help. The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection, say execs, will be like nothing else either store's ever done.
Both Neiman Marcus and Target have strong followings and, in this era of high-low dressing, there are surely overlap customers. But the beauty of the collection, WWD reports, is that the 50+ items will all retail at both: priced from $7.99 to $499.99, the designer goods will somehow straddle the bargain store bins and glossy department store shelves.
So which American designers can you expect? Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Altuzarra, Marchesa and CFDA president Diane von Furstenberg are among the participants making womenswear, menswear, accessories and even home decor and sporting goods. Former GO International designers like Proenza Schouler and Rogan will also be returning.
In short, The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection will unite fabulous cadre of designers creating affordable yet still high-end products to be sold in multiple locations -- what more could we want?
An earlier launch date, that's what. The Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection won't debut until December 1.

huffingtonpost.com

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

here is the full list of designers participating:

Alice + Olivia
Altuzarra
Band of Outsiders
Brian Atwood
Carolina Herrera
Derek Lam
Diane von Furstenberg
Eddie Borgo
Jason Wu
Judith Leiber
Lela Rose
Marchesa
Marc Jacobs
Oscar de la Renta
Philip Crangi
Prabal Gurung
Proenza Schouler
Rag & Bone
Robert Rodriguez
Rodarte
Skaist-Taylor
Thom Browne
Tory Burch
Tracy Reese

Last edited by lucy92; 10-07-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: formatting
10-07-2012
V.I.P.

Prabal, MJ, Proenza, and Rodarte? Oh, I'm excited!

V.I.P.

it'll be a bust, most people have never heard of the majority of those names.

10-07-2012
Some Like It Hot

^You'd be surprised at what labels ordinary people know.

I'm just jealous that this is happening the other side of the pond, Neiman Marcus do international shipping, right ?

V.I.P.

Each designer will contribute one to three designs in categories ranging from menís, womenís, childrenís clothing and accessories, sporting goods, home goods, and accessories for pet and electronics. (wwd)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2012_7_target-neiman.jpeg (33.3 KB, 62 views)

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
^You'd be surprised at what labels ordinary people know.

I'm just jealous that this is happening the other side of the pond, Neiman Marcus do international shipping, right ?
Completely agree. I remember when Missoni came out there were numerous women at the store that made me question whether these women knew what Missoni is. If it's a known/high end label, I'm sure there are many willing to go crazy for it.

Some Like It Hot

^I know right ? Marni for H&M is a perfect example of that, it's hardly a household name but the amount of people who queued up for it and are spotting wearing those pieces is unreal.

Stitch:the Hand

well,i don't know if knowledge is necessarily true. i'm sure they're there but given the many episodes of animalistic behavior with these endeavours,to me it would seem the vultures have outweighed actual fans. and let's not forget those that follow these collabs out of pure hype and label-hounding.

anyway,as far as this not going over well,it also depends on your locale too. most of the target lines in my area were generally untouched for weeks and weeks.....so what littleathquakes says does have some truth to it. having said that,marc jacobs,von furstenberg,herrera,and de la renta are massive labels so i'm sure even granny gums who only flicks through a vogue at the checkout will know who they are.....even the most casual viewer of the E! channel will be familiar with those names. and rodarte has had such a strong presence in all the mainstream rags and certainly with young hollywood,it will garner some attention as well.

but to be honest,i'm bored with this stuff. it's getting staid. designers are no longer defined by being creators....they want to be part of this masstige. there's no longer that fine line and people expect too much from these endeavours. it's become too confusing.

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

Oh my god...I PRAY that I get my job that I interviewed for yesterday so I can get some goodies.

10-07-2012
scenester

I doubt this will be a bust. I know at least the average teen vogue reader get bombarded with Marc Jacobs like 100 times per issue and those girls do go to target. I live in the 5th largest city in Texas and this stuff goes out fast.

I don't see why this is boring. After all, at the end of the day all designers want to make money.

10-07-2012
Stitch:the Hand

^it's not about making money though. i just think these things have become so over-saturated,we've lost the concept of what being a true designer is all about. once in a while as a side project is fine(and i'm all for accessible clothes) but it feels like this is what fashion design has been reduced to.....disposable fashion rather than the true craft of designing and making clothes. the idea of having a designer item in this climate no longer feels as special as it used to.

10-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
^it's not about making money though. i just think these things have become so over-saturated,we've lost the concept of what being a true designer is all about. once in a while as a side project is fine(and i'm all for accessible clothes) but it feels like this is what fashion design has been reduced to.....disposable fashion rather than the true craft of designing and making clothes. the idea of having a designer item in this climate no longer feels as special as it used to.
I think now with this cdfa/target collab it has reached new heights because this one basically includes every new designer and I've lost count over how many high-street collabs rodarte already did, it seems like they advertise with their runway and then make money at target. It is similar in London with Topshop.

10-07-2012
scenester

I'm guessing it has to do with the incredible amount of knocked off clothing that is coming out. Forever 21 seems to have a copy of all the cute runway dresses in less than a week. Why not design for a fast fashion and keep the money yourself?

I know there is a part of the designer that is being lost in fast fashion. The water down their signature to please the average mom that shops at target. The only ones that I can remember keeping their style while designing for target were Proenza Schouler.

10-07-2012
front row

Oh good! I was just thinking to myself "It's been a while since I was last trampled by a hoard of soulless eBay hoarders at Target."

Tags
bone, cfda, designers, jacobs, marc, marcus, neiman, rag, rodarte, target