How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-01-2013
V.I.P.

Chalayan Pre-Fall 2013

style.com

12-01-2013
V.I.P.

HQs via pellucid :
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...7&postcount=10
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...3&postcount=11
style.com

12-01-2013
Stitch:the Hand

it's really difficult to explain but to me this is chalayan doing accessible work at his best. it's retains that sense of purity that we've known of him for the last 15 years. if i'm not mistaken though this looks more like his diffusion 'black' line.

12-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
it's really difficult to explain but to me this is chalayan doing accessible work at his best. it's retains that sense of purity that we've known of him for the last 15 years. if i'm not mistaken though this looks more like his diffusion 'black' line.
yes having seen his collections from the 90s i am so happy that his latest collections have returned to that aesthetic.

I am loving the oil slick on acid print

12-01-2013
V.I.P.

Excellent coats and jackets in particular. There's almost a general 90s feel to some of this (i.e., not just his work but overall vibe); I like it!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
12-01-2013
Geometric Discharge

I'll marry everything up to the multi-colour prints. I think beyond the theatrics, it is forgotten that Chalayan is one of the most clever designers in the world.
This collection stands as an example of how minimal can still be new and extremely interesting.
I have to point out, though, that the second to last coat in the first post reminds me a lot of the Margiela team's collection which unzipped down the seams to reveal a different inside. Even to that green colour.
But that was another great collection..

12-01-2013
Stitch:the Hand

it's a just a reminder that chalayan can be both creative and commercial without having to compromise his identity to do it. which is kind of what's disappointed me about chalayan in recent years(except his a/w 2011). he has always been very capable of making exceptionally wearable pieces with his imprint all over it,even amid the heavier concepts and the showmanship. if you dissected all of those past collections you really do have a collection of this calibre.

13-01-2013
tfs star

I fail to see how this achingly commercial work he's been doing for the last 2 - 3 years or so would bear any resemblance to some of his earlier, arguably breathtaking work from the early 2000's. His cuts used to have much more depth and purpose, not to speak of the collections as a whole having had a narrative quality that is totally absent from his recent work. As a collection, I find this Pre to be very much all over the place - a random assortment of ideas that do not form a cohesive whole... which could be forgiven if the separates would have more 'spirit' than these. Sad!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, chalayan, prefall