How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2013
V.I.P.

Chalayan Resort 2014
Quote:
Hussein Chalayan riffed on seaside leisure for resort. “The anticipation, the conversations, sharing a drink,” said Chalayan. “I was looking at that crossover between life on the beach in a daily way.” Specifically, he zeroed in on the idea of a towel wrapped around you after a swim, working the clever concept with wearable ease. A white blazer was gently pleated and pulled around the body in the front; a gauzy white camisole gave the impression of a bikini worn under a towel. A sweatshirt printed or in gray had a wave panel over the sleeve, while draped pieces played with the concept of cutting holes in a towel in order to wear it. More colorful looks included an abstract photo print of a hazy beach scene.

wwd

21-06-2013
V.I.P.

wwd

21-06-2013
V.I.P.

For the most part, I don't like this, which is rather disappointing. :/

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-06-2013
V.I.P.

wow, impressed for a mid season collection. you can feel the cool sea wind breezing by...how pretty is that single fold at the shoulder? the first resort collection that i get a sense of resortness from...

21-06-2013
tfs star

Let's face it, Hussein Chalayan isn't exactly at the height of his creativity when it comes to his work of the last 5 years or so, showmanship aside. I see the same designs on consistent repeat, like the slightly egg-shaped coat with exaggerated, sculptural pockets, the ultra-low buttoned tailored jacket and the multi-godet flared skirt. To be honest, most of this does not live up to the incredible work he has done earlier, strangely so, for a designer of his calibre, it does seem as if I was looking at two totally different designers' work

22-06-2013
V.I.P.

i cant get past those hideous shoes which make every look appear matronly

23-06-2013
flaunt the imperfection

it all feels very contrived...
which is not good...

annoying, because i'd like to like it...
and i tried...really, i did...
but it's no use...

i give up!

i agree with a lot of what tric says and i just hope he gets inspired and back on track...

24-06-2013
tfs star

^

Yeah, 'contrived' and gimmick-y is exactly what I think about a lot of what presently defines Chalayan's collections - Does that pleating on the bust level of a blazer really add anything to the design that you'd *want* there, that doesn't add unnecessary bulk to any woman, except for one with a totally flat chest? The way most of these conceptual ideas translate into the actual clothing is for the most part a bit show-off for the sake of proving their status as a cutting edge fashion label, and in others, mundane and bland, NOT purposefully understated and puristic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, chalayan, resort