How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2011
V.I.P.

Some of those jackets would make great minidresses without the pants and with a pair of proper high heels....

25-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
This looks more like Valentino than Chanel.
I agree. Compared to last season, this feels a bit underwhelmed...

25-01-2011
fashion icon

great Chanel...but not couture !!

25-01-2011
trendsetter

It was beautiful.

however I wish it was held in the Grand Palais because from the show invitation i imagined a Roman or Grecian garden with ironic marble statues of Coco with a toga draped over her Skirt Suit and crumbling Pillars with tweed ivy leaves strung onto pearls and chains. :p

maybe a statue of Karl as Zeus thrown in for good measure?

25-01-2011
V.I.P.

For the umpteenth time, I am stunned at the depth of his art...

Artist Marie Laurencin was his inspiration. In 1923, she designed Les Biches, a ballet commissioned by Diaghilev with a scenario by Cocteau. Chanel was designing Le Train Bleu for the ballet impresario at the same time. She asked Laurencin to paint her.
The languor and sweetness of the portrait that came from the sitting weren't pleasing to Chanel, but Lagerfeld seized on those qualities to reinterpret her ethos in a way that was paradoxically provocative and modest. The pink bouclé suit, the drop-waist dress, the sugary, rough-edged tweeds were fragile where Chanel herself was steely.

Lagerfeld himself acknowledged the dichotomy when he paraded Stella Tennant like the Black Queen in a gown of sequined chevrons, but his heart clearly lay with the White Queen Freja, whose coat-dress looked like it had been stitched from ice crystals. Then, at show's end, he massed his models on the steps of a simulacrum of the iconic Rue Cambon salon. He has made Chanel's world his own.

style.com
art.com

Last edited by Boomer; 25-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
25-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For the umpteenth time, I am stunned at the depth of his art...
mee too boomer!

I love the inspiration!

here comes suzy's take on the show;

PARIS — With romance, delicacy and modernity, Karl Lagerfeld sent out a magical reality collection for Chanel on Tuesday. The models walked in jeans and flat shoes — but the pants were balanced by the rococo lightness of dresses, shimmering with embroidery and light-handed decoration.
The set reflected Coco Chanel’s signature coromandel screens, while the finale had the models in their pink-tinted dresses grouped on a reproduction of the mirrored staircase where Mademoiselle famously watched her collections. It was a moment of fashion grace.

“She didn’t like jeans — but you have to work for the future,” said Mr. Lagerfeld after the show, referring to Coco’s dismissal of denim at the end of her career. The spring/summer 2011 couture jeans were presented in myriad ways: washed with color and with gilt buttons at the ankle, or as leggings worked with the crystalline beading of couture’s past, while reflecting its future.

The flat ballet shoes, with transparent plastic bands fastening them at the ankles, were mirrored in the black satin ribbon necklets, joined at the nape to disheveled chignons. And the dawn pink had touches of gray and spots of black. Such subtle details anchored a show in which Mr. Lagerfeld did not otherwise try to rock the rococo.

The result was a rivulet of prettiness. The classic tweed jackets in porcelain colors worn with the “jeans” or decorated leggings. T-shirts — so simply cut but so exquisitely embroidered — were another example of the plebeian made poetic. Although there were occasional dresses that slithered sinuously across the body, most pieces were easy-fit, even roomy, as though a magic wand had been waved over basics. Only ballooning short skirts, like a decorated spare tire, seemed to be wardrobe malfunctions.

Otherwise, the ultra-refined handcraft of the Chanel ateliers and the designer’s future-system vision were in perfect harmony. The result was so fragile and yet so energetically youthful. Is there a mother in the rarefied world of couture who would not dream of getting her daughter into the spun-sugar party dresses? And now even the most rebellious young girl could wear haute couture while keeping on her jeans. /iht.com

fashion elite

I'm in love, same with a dream! OHHH Karl.

front row

Don't like it very much. Last season was much better. Thought the dresses at the end were awkward looking, and the outfits throughout were boring.

25-01-2011
Swim Upstream

its really beautiful and I think those slim trousers/leggings under short dresses or tunics will be influential (or they ought to be)

25-01-2011
fashion elite

Chanel - HC S/S 2011 - Preview 1 and Chanel - HC S/S 2011 - Preview 2

old-fashioned

Quote:
Otherwise, the ultra-refined handcraft of the Chanel ateliers and the designer’s future-system vision were in perfect harmony. The result was so fragile and yet so energetically youthful.
i like how suzy menkes described it. there are pieces i don't like here and there, but overall it's a quite beautiful collection. even the use of denim, i love the buttons at the ankle.

V.I.P.

i love dresses with square pattern - they are so sophisticated and soft... there are lot of beuatiful dresses in that collection. anyway, i miss more colours, this neutral, pink, silver and creamy tones are a bit boring. And pants - very similar to Armani - but think Armani´s neon and ultra shining pants were better

25-01-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionPower View Post
SO MANY unflattering dresses
TERRIBLE!
...honestly getting tired of the supermodels recycling
Couldn't agree more, there is a lot of Botox making an appearance.

Love some looks, others not so much.

25-01-2011
V.I.P.

This looks like RTW. It's nice and sweet. But underwhelming.

25-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraDanielle11 View Post
This is the first time ever that I've been completely unimpressed by a Chanel collection. I just don't like it. Disappointed.
Oh, I agree with this statement so much! I just don't like it, especially the shoes...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, chanel, couture, haute, paris, s or s