How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2013
V.I.P.

style

11-12-2013
V.I.P.

MyNameIs, I couldn't agree more! Maybe I don't get it as I am not American myself, but I am sitting here and reading all these complaints about how it is so disrespectful with my eyes wide opened. I do not get it. I mean, Russian theme has been an inspiration for creating clothes before. Some things that are associated with darker times in the history of my country, might be used while designing pieces, but it does not offend me in any way AT ALL. I mean, it's fashion, why take it so seriously? It's art, it's experimentation, it's the work of one's imagination. It's not like someone says this nation is not wrothy, stupid or this race is this or that, it's more of a tribute in my opinion. Even if someone says smth negative about my culture or nation that I represent, I won't be offended, because I know who I am, who we are, I know the weaknesses and I know our strengths. How can any of these things offend you, when you are confident and proud of who you are? Oh and this cross comparison is a very good one!

As for the collection, I haven't actually had a chance to process it all, but for now I can say I really like the presentation, it's fun how the girls are riding these bulls, so cool! I can't say I would wear all these pieces, but there are a few jackets and skirts that I like. I actually find it amazing how Karl manages to come up with all these collections after so many years and stil deliver smth interesting, whether we like it or not. He has my respect, even though there are things that I would never put on myself.

Last edited by Sweet rus; 11-12-2013 at 06:41 AM.
11-12-2013
trendsetter

Some of the dresses are quite lovely.

But I don't know that I find it offensive as I do embarrassing. Like I find it embarrassing when non-Japanese people wear "kimonos" as dressing gowns...let Karl show off his ignorance if he likes...no loss to us.

11-12-2013
scenester

Well at least he didn't make the headdress with chanel-logo feathers..

I quite like this look: http://postimg.org/image/9v52a59u5/ but a lot is horrid and a costume party and I think a petition to prevent Karl from designing Chanel menswear is in order

11-12-2013
V.I.P.

i love some of the looks at the end, with the stars, very pretty

fashion insider

I'll be honest I'm a sucker for cowboy-inspired clothes so this was a treat for me , I could live without those atrocious pure denim looks.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Crosses are "sacred" and "hold deep spiritual religious meanings" to a lot of people. Those religious icon images that have showed up on dresses are "sacred" and "hold deep spiritual religious meanings" to a lot of people. Was anyone "offended"?
When was the last time people who hold crosses so sacred were the victims of genocide? When the last time they were made to live on some of the worst pieces of land in a huge nation? When is the last time the government actively refused to provide any type of social and financial aid to said group? Hmmm?

By all means, go out of your way to not get it but that doesn't make this collection any less wrong. But its okay because its fashion huh?

secret garden

Another high profile fashion embarrassment.

11-12-2013
V.I.P.

How in the hell did Karl think this collection was a good idea...ugly, offensive, and just plain embarrassing.

11-12-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
When was the last time people who hold crosses so sacred were the victims of genocide? When the last time they were made to live on some of the worst pieces of land in a huge nation? When is the last time the government actively refused to provide any type of social and financial aid to said group? Hmmm?

By all means, go out of your way to not get it but that doesn't make this collection any less wrong. But its okay because its fashion huh?
LabelWhore, I respect what you're saying and think it's quite interesting and important. Personally, though, I'm wondering how to define where to draw the line between paying respectful homage to and celebrating another culture, and where it crosses over into appropriation. It's quite fuzzy, I think, and all I can say is that it's probably in the execution. Here, it's a little too blatant and exaggerated to be tasteful.Other designers use Navajo prints quite subtly and respectfully. But is it always bad to be playful or flamboyant with another's cultural references? Is Dries van Noten allowed to use Asian and African prints and designs simply because he does so "beautifully"? I often wonder.

Also, another question...wouldn't it be worse (politically I mean...design-wise, I'm being rhetorical) if this were Ralph Lauren??...as Karl is not directly part of the offending culture, does that make a difference?

Curious what you think.

Last edited by Melisande; 11-12-2013 at 09:14 AM.
11-12-2013
»re de ℳodernitť

I usually like the Mťtiers d'Art collections but there's nothing I like about this one. The theme isn't really appealing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
I suggest you read the news more often...

V.I.P.

Quote:
MyNameIs, I couldn't agree more! Maybe I don't get it as I am not American myself, but I am sitting here and reading all these complaints about how it is so disrespectful with my eyes wide opened. I do not get it.
We're very politically correct here, to the point of sanctimony.

But satisfaction brought it back
11-12-2013
backstage pass

It's Lagefeld. IIt's hard to find him politically and socially offensive since he's so stunningly clueless.

His "creative" process is so utterly predictable: Dallas = Rodeos = Cowboys = Cowboys & Indians. I think that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
But now, coming to think of it .. didnt Gaultier kinda did it as well a while ago?
Gaultier is a very different type of designer than Lagerfeld. Gaultier is/ was a visionary and storyteller. Add he's actually talented.

I always see Gautlier's taking inspiration from other cultures-- and subcultures, as a genuine tribute and celebration; that he truly is fascinated, and completely immersed and respectful of his inspirations. The results are always so thoughtful, unexpected and joyful. So in that context, Gaultier appropriating the Native American headdress in one of his couture shows is never offensive. His collections inspired by other cultures, whether they were of African Masai tribes, Chinese and Mongolian, Indian, Mexican, or the jazz scene of the Cotton Club of the 1920s, or the sombre and regal attire of the Hassidic Jews, he's always been so respectful and takes it to a whole other plane. It's never homogenized, synthesized and plain predictable. I see the same respect for other cultures and subcultures from visionary designers like Galliano and McQueen the man. When there is so much work, research and thought put into appropriating a culture into their vision as these designers have, I find it extremely inspiring and respectable. They would never pull a lazy, gimmicky, superficial mess like this: Cowboy hats, fringes and Native American headdress and call it Americana-- just with lots of tweed, 'cause it's Chanel.

Lagerfeld's designs have always been pure fast-fashion: Thoughtless, throwaway and disposable. This collection is really no different than any of his countless offerings.

I'm offended by Lagerfeld's always accepted lack of talent.

11-12-2013
V.I.P.

I wonder how the media will handle the native american bride outfit... in comparison to how they handle VS doing the same.
I think this collection would have been more effective if it was done in another city and with a different set, I canīt help but roll my eyes.
I donīt like anything about this, it looks so literal itīs almost cosplay.

11-12-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Am over people getting offended by people who are inspired by other cultures to create fashion or art. He didn't use the exact head pieces he was just inspired by the creativity of the natives. People have been using African inspired fashion, interiors and the like for decades and we don't complain and how many Chinese or Japanese inspired dresses or furniture have you seen that being said I wish he had paid homage to the other Dallas the one of big is bigger IMO this seems like a homage to Colorado than Dallas>>>

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, chanel, parisdallas, prefall