How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2012
Hell on Heels

the final looks are divine and so are the 2 long black dresses towards the end.
Some of the rest is way too costumey but the daywear has some amazing pieces, it just seems too overstyled and they get lost in a mess.
I really like this anyway, Pre-Fall collections are usually my fav from karl

04-12-2012
fashion insider

LOVING IT!

Karl never seizes to amaze!

04-12-2012
fashion insider

HORRIBLE! I haven't liked a Chanel collection since Spring 2009. There is always a great set and a lot of accessories but the clothes are beyond hideous! Dolce & Gabbana did the Scottish/British theme much better in Fall 2008. I cannot wait to see these in the Most Hideous Outfit thread

Last edited by Maximilian S; 04-12-2012 at 05:28 PM.
04-12-2012
V.I.P.

The first part of it is absolutely costumey, yes, but the final white pieces are gorgeous. If only the rest of it had that going on... unfortunately, they just took plaid and argyle and jumbled them together. Like random.org for clothes.

04-12-2012
front row

I love most of it. Looks warm and cosy. Strange that fashion can sometimes be the "p*" word. Can see the British High Street shops really embracing these looks. Cliche but classic, and cliches usually work.

(*Practical).

army of lovers

Chanel needs new blood.

04-12-2012
tfs star

I'd die to get any/all of the men's pieces!

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

the final looks are the only saving grace. there's not much left to save.

95% of this looks like Karl straight up lifted stuff out of the late 80s, early 90s. i swear i will find the majority of those things in my mother's old Vogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
And I just don't get that same sort of understanding from this pre-fall collection.
the last thing you can expect Uncle Karl to do, is to understand. not a culture, not tact, not a woman's body.

04-12-2012
fashion icon

^Ha! That's true. I should have known. I had hopes that Uncle Karl would prove me wrong and actually create a collection with depth for once. But I really shouldn't have such expectations when it comes to his designs.

front row

I always find Métiers d'Art (or, well, Pre-Fall if you MUST) a very important concept of the Chanel house in this day and age. Whilst it's a bit fantastical and otherworldly about its design as a 'ready-to-wear' line, it's a celebration of ALL of the subsidiaries that Chanel work with - in this case, the embroiderers, the the shoemakers, the milliners, and of course, Barrie Knitwear, who deal with Chanel for wool/cashmere/etc. It celebrates the people that do the actual work, unlike the haute couture, where it's made solely for the purpose of putting on a celebrity, used in an editorial, or sold to a client.

I think the entire collection is very Shakespearean - naturally, I'm going to say it reminds me of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, not for the sole reason its all Scottish inspired, but the reason that it's quite sinister and dark, where in the past Métiers d'Art was about huge embellishments and obscene grandeur. I don't know - I think it's a very appropriate collection, especially as a tribute or celebration!

V.I.P.

Oh god, I'm loving this. Some pieces are a bit too literal, but for the most part it's brilliant. Love the mix of the argyles and plaids, that has to by my favorite part. The hair and makeup is fantastic with those gorgeous head pieces. That layering is so effortless and nice, especially because it's so damn cold where I'm at right now that it looks so pleasing lol.

fashion icon

I like the story that Chanel has brought us to different places and inspirations, It's refreshing to see where they would take us to. This collection to me the styling is too heavy, there are few dresses without layering that are my favorite.

05-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Marcel View Post
Chanel needs new blood.
agree - looks so oldfashioned and costume party-like

perfect for the English country gentry - and the Queen Elisabeth -
Balmoral holiday seasons i think

05-12-2012
V.I.P.

amazing collection. it's very Coco Chanel dating the Duke of Westminster in the 1920s, when she used to reside in Scotland at his estate. it just feels very romantic and idyllic

05-12-2012
front row

^ Completely. I can picture being in a cosy pub with a roaring fire, good food and drink with a woman wearing select pieces from this collection.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, chanel, parisedinburgh, prefall