How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
You guys do realize that Dior has a certain aesthetic that they have to stick to because it's what sells and what the Dior customer wants, meaning many of the collections will be similar, there are patterns all the time with Dior collections, why is this shocking?

Even houses like Chanel get rehashed because they need to appeal to that customer. Whereas houses like Prada are solely based on creativity and flamboyance, so they can get away with being different, but even Prada rehashes sometimes.

But this is all just the way I see it.
also, we have to remember the game of the couture. these -- what? -- fifteen houses have to fight over the one hundred and fifty couture customers IN THE WORLD where as the pradas, guccis, and others can fight over the millions of upwardly mobile bourgeoisie who clamor for their ready to wear.

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

WOW this is so kitsch, no matter how I look at it! The combination of the set, the make-up, the hair and the collection = TACKY.

Seriously guys, take away the 'Dior' label, and this is absolute trash. Who in their right mind would put looks such as these on a haute couture runway??

style.com/

07-07-2009
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
You guys do realize that Dior has a certain aesthetic that they have to stick to because it's what sells and what the Dior customer wants, meaning many of the collections will be similar, there are patterns all the time with Dior collections, why is this shocking?

Even houses like Chanel get rehashed because they need to appeal to that customer. Whereas houses like Prada are solely based on creativity and flamboyance, so they can get away with being different, but even Prada rehashes sometimes.

But this is all just the way I see it.
Because remaking the same collection over and over isn't the same as sticking to an aesthetic, and because Dior used to fall into the same category as Prada, pushing fashion forward while managing to spin off the creative stuff into salable products.

I mean can you honestly say that any of these recent Dior collections are even remotely distinct?

07-07-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I mean can you honestly say that any of these recent Dior collections are even remotely distinct?
it's clearly not galliano's doing however. i mean, he's bursting with creativity at his own shows -- for men and women -- and even this showing of hackneyed dior classics remains quite creative given his limitations.

now, why have they limited him in such a way? that's a good question....

V.I.P.

Utmostly irrelevant and uninspiring

V.I.P.

Quote:
it's clearly not galliano's doing however. i mean, he's bursting with creativity at his own shows -- for men and women -- and even this showing of hackneyed dior classics remains quite creative given his limitations.
That is true. We must remember the show is not a reflection of Galliano's creativity or talents. The Galliano label shows that he still churning out great ideas.

I read an article where Galliano was showing Bernault handbag designs, and Bernault was nixing this and that and saying how the design needed to be re-worked, it didn't fit the Dior image, etc. Clearly, Bernault is exerting much say in how Dior is done.

But satisfaction brought it back
07-07-2009
Plain Ol' Beautiful

Frustration is written all over recent Dior collections.

Anyone else noticed the cheap model casting? I can only spot three models that I would call high profile. Another way to save some money, I guess.

tfs star

I like it.

It is whatever it is, you know. Like Lagerfeld says, it doesn't matter how many hours that went into doing stuff, blah blah...: If is is lousy, then it is lousy at the end. So I do not care about how much 'hard work' these clothes were. This is extremely kitsch, but Galliano almost always have been. This collection doesn't make anyone 'dream' per se, like some of his other collections did, and that is what everyone's expectations are with Dior.

This collection can generate a strong perfume release and campaign, imo. It is screaming 'commercial' to me. Would be nice to see a dark ad featuring three of these girls and much more subdued styling in these undergarments selling Poison or Hypnotic Poison or something. I still do not enjoy Natasha's overworked gown, and if I had the power to destroy every leopard print fabric in the world so that Galliano could never use any anymore, I would. That leopard dress is hideously gaudy, and especially that one gown with that piece of leopard fabric attached in the middle... why really?

If he did this collection, it means it is going to sell. His actual clothes sell more than any other LVMH brand. And in the middle of this recession, who can blame him for such a presentation if he thinks it will turn in profits? I wish he could play with the styling though: so sick of the cartoon-y 50s make-up and hair. Maybe if these pieces were presented in a more modern setting and understanding, he would prevail and we would all enjoy it a lot more as a modern statement. Maybe it is as simple as that. This is couture and we are not wearing these items to appreciate the detailing. So very few do.

What we care about is the image and the presentation. He needs to shake things up with his approach to the model he presents, not just the clothes. For him, a strong look has always been a drag queen, but now I look at Ghesquiere's girls, and they look so much more confident, able and competent to me, than these 'mannequins' of 50s.

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
i think lady gaga will be wearing a lot of this collection!!
isn't she already?

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

would somebody like to post the article and pictures from "dior: a close look behinde the scenes" on wwd.com? (i don't have the account)

wwd.com

07-07-2009
rising star

I like this collection much more than i did for Dior's previous shows.
This is so playful and I love those eye-popping colours.

07-07-2009
front row

is there any HQ?

i may hate the collection but the embroidery and details are always stunning!

V.I.P.

This is an 80s tranny nightmare

07-07-2009
tfs star

That dress on Tanya (that is Tanya, right) is vomit-inducing, ghastly, hideous and flat-out offensive. I think it is by far the tackiest thing Galliano has ever done IN HIS LIFE, and yes, I am including the 'Miss Galliano' cartoons back in the day!

07-07-2009
V.I.P.

jg has not impressed me in a long time for dior/dior couture so i expected to now be wowed and he delivered

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, christian, couture, dior, f or w, haute, paris