How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-07-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
HA.

Great review by Cathy, a little harsh but truthful. I do think Dior executives must've seen what was coming with this collection, they're not idiots, but better showing something awful than bowing down to critics and not showing anything at all. And honestly, this may be awful but let's be objective, it isn't that different from what Galliano had been doing.. this certainly lacks the attention to detail, the precision he'd manage to inject into around a 10% of his collections but it's still as outdated, unmotivated and downright vulgar as Galliano's collections of the past 6 years. I was hoping Cathy wouldn't mention having Galliano back by the end of her review and I'm glad she didn't, this is rock bottom but Galliano's still bottom, they need to find someone that manages to challenge the CURRENT parameters of a luxury house and luxury buyers the way YSL did 50 years ago and the way Galliano did 15 years ago, and create buzz for what comes out of his mind instead of his mouth.. they need someone young, with enough nerve to get past this mess and the monumental mess Dior is immersed in now thanks to this, the scandal and the 'legacy' Galliano left in his last years at the house.
It's a lot worse than that. And as far as I'm concerned Galliano was the only thing right about Dior since a long, long time back.

As for Cathy being harsh - yeah in the fashion world I guess that goes for harsh.

04-07-2011
V.I.P.

Maybe it would have helped if they sent someone out at the end dressed as a pirate? I guess Johnny Depp is a little too hooked into Chanel to do that, however...
Seriously- they have to start a serious talent search tomorrow! This is way too important a fashion house to let it just drift down the river...But I'm afraid what Karl and the old guard have been saying for years may be coming true- there just aren't that many people trained in real couture left!

Last edited by Boomer; 04-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.
04-07-2011
V.I.P.

I'm very curious to know what all the people who used to say that Galliano wasn't doing great at couture shows think about this collection,which is just simply AWFUL and terribly TACKY!
Looks like something Agatha Ruiz De La Prada would make...please just get a decent designer NOW!

V.I.P.

What more is there to say besided what has been said. This is just the pits.

Thank god Cathy got stuck in. She's completely right. I will be so disappointed if Hilary and Suzy give even a tiny bit of praise for this.

04-07-2011
V.I.P.

Some are nice. Is Gaultier secretly designing this?

04-07-2011
rising star

I actually like some of them... some of the prints are quite nice for me even if I dont get the execution of the roses.

04-07-2011
Mr. Magic

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
04-07-2011
V.I.P.

beyond awful, i've seen better at a circus. who approved all this to be shown to the world? they should be the ones to leave dior asap, the struggle starts here for dior and finding the right designer to bring some magic back to the house.

Last edited by ForChicSake; 04-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.
04-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Seems like they just wanted to put this collection out just so that they had something to show. Probably buying time while looking for a new designer.

Do I miss Galliano after watching this? hell to the nah
You're probably right.
I wonder what Galliano himself thinks about that collection. "What have they done to my label?!".
It's a mess, sorry.

backstage pass

I just didnt understand the transition from start to finish, what a mess

04-07-2011
Mr. Magic

Quote:
By SUZY MENKES
Published: July 4, 2011

PARIS — It was Rio and roses, petals and confetti, clowns and gowns as Christian Dior opened the couture season Monday.

But not all the whirling chiffon, sherbet colors and “let’s dance” music — nor the fantastical work of Dior’s studios — could conceal a basic fact. Regardless of charges that he was sozzled with drink, off-his-head on pills or wildly ranting, John Galliano brought to the house a finesse and exquisite lightness that, with his departure, has blown away like confetti in the wind.

This carnival of a show looked like a bunch of partygoers had done a witty, wacky take on Dior extravaganzas. The theme of roses was reasonable, even for an autumn/winter collection, and was backed up by a reference to the Dior heritage of the designer Marc Bohan and by fine jewelry, shown at the end of the show tent’s garden.

Yet it was impossible not to remember the fecund flowers of last July when Mr. Galliano’s blooms were a hothouse explosion of parrot tulips with the flower-women headdresses wrapped in vivid cellophane.

Fantasy is a delicate and personal vision. The grave mistake of Bill Gaytten, 51, who led the team to create this collection, was not to rely on his forte during 23 years with Mr. Galliano as an exceptionally skilled tailor and pattern cutter. Those were the elements that came into focus in the Galliano spring/summer 2012 men’s show two weeks ago. Although it might take technical prowess to turn a skirt into a sensuous, heaving mass of petals like a Georgia O’Keeffe painting, the body was never really center stage in this whorl of floral delight.

Further inspiration came from the modern architecture and design of Frank Gehry and Jean-Michel Frank. But the showmanship seemed crude as dresses that looked as though they were inspired by a Brazilian rainforest (or perhaps by Prada’s tropical prints) were unfurled like a butterfly wing on the runway in a parody of a show circa 1975.

There were pieces to like and workmanship to admire and the setting at the Musée Rodin was both artistic and classy. But the Dior collection felt all the more strange in the context of the weekend weddings that many in the front row had attended.

In Monaco, the new Princess Charlene was dressed as a serene highness in the graceful dress sculpted for her by Giorgio Armani. Grace — as in Kelly — was, of course, on every royalist’s mind, especially since Sarah Burton’s design for Kate Middleton in late April had seemed to hint at the classic elegance of the lace sleeves of Princess Grace’s 1956 gown.

The significance of both of these recent royal wedding dresses is that they were absolutely classic, as was the outfit the supermodel Kate Moss wore on Friday to end her wild years. Her rock ’n’ roll friends might have expected a hip ’n’ cool outfit for her English country wedding. But it was her husband, Jamie Hince, the guitarist from The Kills, in his sharp blue Yves Saint Laurent suit, who brought a touch of music-world fantasy.

The bride’s dress, inspired by the 1920s look that Ms. Moss has always emulated, was made by her friend John Galliano with all the designer’s delicacy and finesse.

The fine jewelry collection saved the day at Dior, for the designer Victoire de Castellane understands the melding of drama, glamour and imagination. Using exceptional stones and eerie mixes, so the jewels glowed in their frames like 3-D images, the collection looked sumptuous.

Inspired by the epic “Bal des Roses” and the grand events flowering in the 1950s after the lean war years, these were pieces as “haute” as couture.

“I imagined opulent jewelry where stones are set with other stones until they evoke the most luxurious embroidered fabrics,” says Ms. de Castellane, referring to the complex constructions. The subtle color mixes included lilac diamonds with lavender chalcedony, purple sapphires and pink spinels. Other effects made the “Bal de Nuit,” or nighttime ball, in gray diamonds set against sapphires and tanzanites with droplets of gold.

The romantic roses, as rings and necklaces, fed the spirit of Christian Dior for romance and gentility that was too revved up in the runway show.
nytimes.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
04-07-2011
V.I.P.

NO, NO, NO, they can't pull it off. Stop trying to be Galliano.

04-07-2011
rising star

The runway soundtrack was not that good either...
Posted via Mobile Device

04-07-2011
windowshopping

I thought there was some good pieces as for the styling we all see it's NOT there...

04-07-2011
®

keep the hate coming guys, haha! you're all doing a pretty good job butchering this rather fantastic collection -- if i may say so. i think it's genius in that "it's sooooo bad it's fantastic" kind of way.. imagine getting this much bad reaction for something that looks so comical? people just can't seem to separate their preconceived image of Dior from reality.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, christian, couture, dior, f or w, haute, paris