How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

Full Show

06-07-2011
trendsetter

Wow this is so disjointed. They need to hire a creative director immediately so that at least collections have a point of view! ugh.

front row

sorry - pics from elle.com!

06-07-2011
trendsetter

Hopefully they'll get a new designer soon who can take Dior in a new direction

front row

I think its pretty easy to realise that for the past 3-4 years this Gaytten has had his hand in designing the collections more and more, because what has been bothering me for years is that dior and galliano collections have started to look like a parody of a fashion collection, aka costumey, tacky, unfocused, not product-oriented...

Just like Cathy Horyn said, she first met Gaytten at the atelier with Galliano and Steven Robinson. Come to think of it, it's pretty easy to say that when Robinson died, all there was left was John and Gaytten, and John just sunk deeper in his depression and alcoholism, so of course Gaytten was there to be given more and more responsibilities. I say all the collections from last three years or so have basically been designed by Gaytten, with of course some direction and editing by John, but this time there was absolutely no editing or taste involved.

10-07-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
I agree with all that say that is "a mess" but personally, I'm a little annoyed at the rude comments directed at the craftsmanship. Sure, a lot of this, as a pure visual, is pretty kitsch; but that is not to say that it isn't necessarily crafted with haute couture techniques.

Something can be exquisitely made, but it also might look awful. I think the craftsmanship here is actually phenomenal (on the daywear chiefly). Those jackets and skirts are pure haute couture. The problem here is what Horyn referred to as "too many hands were in the pie". Too many ideas, too much over-complication, too much everything.

Besides, I don't know why they would even attempt to mimic or even out-do Galliano's showmanship. Its impossible and futile. This show is a failed attempt to continue Gallianos legacy in a way, no? That ostentatiousness, that spectacle, the theatrics, etc etc.

What Dior needs to do, and what they are failing to do, is to position themselves as a luxury house offering craftsmanship and a service that is uniquely Dior. The way to do this, is to go back to Dior himself. Not go back to Galliano. They need a designer who will really understand the essence of Christian Dior and redefine it for the 21st century (without Galliano reference). Otherwise they might as well just re-hire Galliano!
this is right! and, yes, this is not very dior. ... and i would be very, very happy if i had a stylist who can provide me this type of clothing for a photoshoot. so, this is not bad at all.

10-07-2011
✎...

What a mess...

10-07-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip_ian curtis View Post
I think its pretty easy to realise that for the past 3-4 years this Gaytten has had his hand in designing the collections more and more, because what has been bothering me for years is that dior and galliano collections have started to look like a parody of a fashion collection, aka costumey, tacky, unfocused, not product-oriented...

Just like Cathy Horyn said, she first met Gaytten at the atelier with Galliano and Steven Robinson. Come to think of it, it's pretty easy to say that when Robinson died, all there was left was John and Gaytten, and John just sunk deeper in his depression and alcoholism, so of course Gaytten was there to be given more and more responsibilities. I say all the collections from last three years or so have basically been designed by Gaytten, with of course some direction and editing by John, but this time there was absolutely no editing or taste involved.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

11-07-2011
trendsetter

What is everyone bitching so hard about? I for one am happy the clothes are not the same ole same ole, but it is still obvious it was a Dior collection. Pretty, ugly, ridiculous, clownish, bla bla bla.. it was entertaining. And the accessories are just great.

11-07-2011
trendsetter

Since everything have been said

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I think I speak for everyone when I say, this is not the hope and change we were waiting for from Christian Dior collections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorette View Post
What a mess. What a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I'm laughing tears because it's so bad! I guess they want to make it easy for whoever takes over Dior, whatever Galliano's successor does, it can never be as bad as this!
..oh and I miss John. I hope something fabulous is coming on his & our way fashion-wise!

11-07-2011
front row

this is a very interesting look at where Christian Dior may be heading towards. I like the idea of it, but the execution was very weak. I just don't like the collection very much. I miss John!

11-07-2011
front row

buhahaha.... did you also see Dior show in this style.com official Paris Couture FW11 report video? neither did I..... XDDDDDDDDDD

12-07-2011
trendsetter

^It´s because this season Dior didn´t presented a collection.
It just was a parody of couture.

trendsetter

I'm definitely going to be in the minority here, but I liked most of the pieces in the collection. The color palette was energizing, the prints were quite fun, and the ruffled dresses were not bad at all. Although the DVF inspired kaftans were awful. I just don't think this collection was as mindblowingly bad as people are saying it is. But hey, I'm someone who enjoys a bit of pastiche and fun in fashion when it's done right.

26-07-2011
V.I.P.

maybe some pieces are ok, but not everything though... miss galliano

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, christian, couture, dior, f or w, haute, paris