How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

i really love the darker colours and the silhouettes. the theatre of it all is great and i really love the masks. all in all i really like this collection, although it's definitely not something new for dior.

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

This is pretty. The gowns are lovely, but there is nothing new here. No edge, no moving forward, just redesigning what he's done in the past.

backstage pass

john why even bother. you once held the key to my heart. now you bore me beyond words.

24-01-2011
Oh Yeah!

I also love love love that dress.

Oh the active viewers bar is back

fashion elite

I love that dress on magda's .. very couture !
I need to see more

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
I'm not seeing the "John Is Back" that everyone is saying. There are re-hashed silhouettes and near-complete remakes of gowns from recent seasons, but in a different pastel shade. Sure, there's more of a variety in cuts, but at the end of the day, it does not feel like anything "fresh" when we are talking of Galliano.
This is not haute couture, this is frou.
Ok I did post the statment that " John is Back" blah blah blah..

I have to say I do see your point. While yes he has changed some things as far as cut and color alot of the shapes are the same that he has re-used. But I personally have seen him do that ALOT now and in the past. But like I said he did change some things which I felt made this collection alot better than recent ones. So thats why I felt that John is back, not so much in the sence that he has done everything completly new and fresh, but he has started to change up his way of doing things. But like I said I do se your point

V.I.P.

This is really haute couture!!! i like it!

windowshopping

love it!
those shoes are killing me!!

24-01-2011
backstage pass

These look promising. I'm really excited!! Seems like John is making another gorgeous dreamingly couture. Last season was beautiful.

Last edited by ultramarine; 24-01-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: off topic/model talk
24-01-2011
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Couture05 View Post
Ok I did post the statment that " John is Back" blah blah blah..

I have to say I do see your point. While yes he has changed some things as far as cut and color alot of the shapes are the same that he has re-used. But I personally have seen him do that ALOT now and in the past. But like I said he did change some things which I felt made this collection alot better than recent ones. So thats why I felt that John is back, not so much in the sence that he has done everything completly new and fresh, but he has started to change up his way of doing things. But like I said I do se your point
I see your point as well. I suppose that, being a huge follower and admirer of John and his work, it frustrates me this place he is currently at. It is impossible for me and other to not hold him to the standard he set for himself for so many years, only to break that with collections that does not appear he is involved in with his heart and soul.

It's weird, before in his collections, the passion, soul, energy, and creativity could be felt even through the pictures. That's very hard to achieve I feel, yet he did it so easily. The collections were full of depth and made you want to study not only the pieces, but his inspirations which usually involved cross-referencing ... something else that's not that easy. John was a genius in those days, but he's fallen off as the new innovator and has left a huge hole in the haute couture landscape in my honest opinion.

This collection does not move me. I do not want to study the clothes like before. The inspiration is so suffer taking the fun out of discovering what's going on in that mad and genius mind of his. The excessive modeling/poses from the girls does not work here and I feel it's an imitation of couture ... a caricature. In the past it worked for the fact the clothes were full of life and you need someone to match that energy, but now the garments have no life and it feels the models are trying to pump blood into something dead.

I want to go to John and scream in his face while shaking him and ask what happened ? Do not get me wrong, the old costumery and near-drag-queen aesthetics may not be right for today, but there is still a way to present beautiful, fresh, and engaging collection that is "right for today" as he likes to say so often.

I'll quiet now.

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

the red gradation theme remind me of his dress for HC S/S 2007.

style.com

Last edited by Chanelcouture09; 24-01-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Model Talk
24-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
I see your point as well. I suppose that, being a huge follower and admirer of John and his work, it frustrates me this place he is currently at. It is impossible for me and other to not hold him to the standard he set for himself for so many years, only to break that with collections that does not appear he is involved in with his heart and soul.

It's weird, before in his collections, the passion, soul, energy, and creativity could be felt even through the pictures. That's very hard to achieve I feel, yet he did it so easily. The collections were full of depth and made you want to study not only the pieces, but his inspirations which usually involved cross-referencing ... something else that's not that easy. John was a genius in those days, but he's fallen off as the new innovator and has left a huge hole in the haute couture landscape in my honest opinion.

This collection does not move me. I do not want to study the clothes like before. The inspiration is so suffer taking the fun out of discovering what's going on in that mad and genius mind of his. The excessive modeling/poses from the girls does not work here and I feel it's an imitation of couture ... caricature. In the past it worked for the fact the clothes were full of life and you need someone to match that energy, but now the garments have no life and it feels the models are trying to pump blood into something dead.

I want to go to John and scream in his face while shaking him and ask what happened ? Do not get me wrong, the old costumery and near-drag-queen aesthetics may not be right for today, but there is still a way to present beautiful, fresh, and engaging collection that is "right for today" as he likes to say so often.

I'll quiet now.
U know what.. I agree with u all they way. Because yes while I do love this like this collection, its not like I whill go watch it a hundred times like I have with past collections. So everything you are saying makes sence.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
there's already a thread :/ someone forgot to put the Haute Couture in the name.
this one's better, the other one's just hotlinks that'll disappear soon.

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

24-01-2011
barcode

I'm seeing Gruau, at least in those first black and red looks (which were the only looks that have caught my interest so far). Some of the embroidery looks like brush or pen strokes too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, christian, couture, dior, haute, paris, s or s