How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by brian+Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:20 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brian @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:20 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:18 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-ebowleg
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Hello...it's couture...how many people on here actually buy it? I'm gonna go out on the limb and say nobody, so why are so many people concentrating on its wearability? Let the couture customers worry about that

completely agreed
...and how many of you people who keep b*tching are actually couture clients, anyhow?

well...actually...as a stylist...i have to find pieces for some of my clients to wear to awards ceremonies and events...so...it is quite important to me that the damn clothes be wearable...that's what clothes are for...to be worn...hello!!!?!?!?!?!?....

so you order haute couture? [/b][/quote]
borrow...

06-07-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:18 pm
.....also perhaps pushing the vivienne westwood references softgrey keeps saying are blatant?

i kind of think so now
They ARE blatant...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:21 pm

yeah!!!...how many of you would be gushing if it was a vivienne westwood show?!?!?!....
i'd be gushing!!!

i adore those trashy, tacky sky-high platform shoes!!

i really want to see what these new dior ones look like

06-07-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
borrow...
That must be cool...I would love to get to work with couture pieces...have you ever attended the couture shows?

06-07-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:20 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:18 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:11 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-ebowleg
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Hello...it's couture...how many people on here actually buy it? I'm gonna go out on the limb and say nobody, so why are so many people concentrating on its wearability? Let the couture customers worry about that

completely agreed
...and how many of you people who keep b*tching are actually couture clients, anyhow?

well...actually...as a stylist...i have to find pieces for some of my clients to wear to awards ceremonies and events...so...it is quite important to me that the damn clothes be wearable...that's what clothes are for...to be worn...hello!!!?!?!?!?!?....

so you order haute couture?
borrow... [/b][/quote]
!!!!!!

06-07-2004
Unveil Yourself....

What does blatant mean? Sorry....I'm Dutch

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-07-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tott+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tott @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:18 pm
.....also perhaps pushing the vivienne westwood references softgrey keeps saying are blatant?

i kind of think so now*
They ARE blatant... [/b][/quote]
ditto

the addition of the 7-inch platforms just pushes it and really doesn't speak any more highly of galliano.

i still really love this collection a lot, though!
there is going to be so much hoopla over it....
and i really cannot wait to see the translated versions of the pieces from this collection
it will all be so beautiful, i know

06-07-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by ebowleg@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:21 pm
Quote:
I get your point, but once again, how many people on this board could even think about buying couture, and how many people are celebs and people with stylists that wear couture to events...All I'm saying is, take it for what it is (the couture)
the fact that we dont buy couture does not mean we cannot have an opinion about it, and trust me, IF i had money for couture i wouldnt spend it on Dior, thats a big fat fact

06-07-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:25 pm
it means "obvious"

06-07-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:25 pm
Really obvious, sort of...

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by ebowleg@Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:23 pm
Quote:
borrow...
That must be cool...I would love to get to work with couture pieces...have you ever attended the couture shows?
the couture shows are very small and exclusive...i would love to attend but it's next to impossible...i go by lookbooks and style.com...and select what i want and have it sent....then send it back after the event...for regular designer stuff... i go to shows and private appts at the showrooms...

06-07-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
the couture shows are very small and exclusive...i would love to attend but it's next to impossible...i go by lookbooks and style.com...and select what i want and have it sent....then send it back after the event...for regular designer stuff... i go to shows and private appts at the showrooms...
My dream job

06-07-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by brian+Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:26 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brian @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:26 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:22 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-brian
Quote:
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:18 pm

i kind of think so now*

They ARE blatant...
ditto

the addition of the 7-inch platforms just pushes it and really doesn't speak any more highly of galliano.

i still really love this collection a lot, though!
there is going to be so much hoopla over it....
and i really cannot wait to see the translated versions of the pieces from this collection
it will all be so beautiful, i know [/b][/quote]
sweetie...you won't see any 'translated' versions....the private customers will place their private orders and they will go in their private collections...

this is what will be shot for the magazines, editorials, etc....what you see is what you get...unless you're placing a personal order...

06-07-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by ebowleg@Jul 6th, 2004 - 3:27 pm
Quote:
My dream job
Ditto.

backstage pass

Quote:
Galliano rules Paris couture with royal Dior show

PARIS (AFP) - John Galliano reigned supreme at Christian Dior, securing his status as the king of haute couture with a magnificent collection of glittering embroidered gowns fit for a princess.

For autumn-winter 2004-2005, the British designer -- who recently traveled to Vienna and Istanbul -- transported the Paris fashion crowd back to the Hapsburg royal court of Empress Elizabeth, where elegance and coquetry were de rigueur.

He wrapped his models in yards of luxurious satin, velvet and silk brocade, using corsets to cinch waists to an impossibly tiny size and then sculpt curvaceous hips for a cross between princess and 1950s pin-up girl.

Galliano used the soundtrack -- classic 1950s rock hits like Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" and Jerry Lee Lewis's "Great Balls of Fire" -- to emphasize the contrast of styles and eras.

The British designer chose a majestic color palette that included emerald, ruby red and bordeaux, embellishing dresses with intricate embroidered tapestry-like floral patterns or regal gold and silver emblems.

Tight-fitting bodices contrasted with full skirts that unfolded like the pages of a book. Galliano used mink or fox fur to trim his resplendent gowns. Sparkling tiaras, bejewelled crowns and elbow-length gloves completed the look.

The miles of fabric and invisible --but obviously towering -- high heels put the models a bit off balance, but they managed to stride down the runway with only a few bobbles.

For the first time since joining Dior, Galliano embraced a long-standing couture tradition and closed the show with a wedding gown -- a strapless number with a giant circular skirt bedecked with lavish silver embroidery.

Doomsayers keep predicting the death of couture but Galliano makes it relevant every season, building Dior's image by convincing a star-studded crowd to trek to the polo grounds in the outskirts of Paris to check out his show.

Actresses Juliette Binoche, Diane Kruger, Katie Holmes and Mariel Hemingway, along with US television talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, smiled approvingly from the front row at the fashion tour de force.

Galliano, who took his bow in jeans, black jacket and a crumpled velvet hat, knows how to wed creativity and marketing. Dior inaugurated a new boutique in central Paris after the show, encouraging guests to spend, spend, spend.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0405, christian, dior, f or w, hc, paris