How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:27 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:27 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 7:21 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:52 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Mutterlein
Quote:
Quote:
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 5:50 pm
amazing!

As much as people hate galliano that man knows how to make a dress!

could you really, honestly, ever wear this Galliano dress posted here?

please be honest, it's a complete and most unwearable mess

true, but it will translate into something gorgeous and wearable.....as always
when? when will it translate ?

unlike pret-a-porter, i think Haute Couture is what goes out to the catwalk,
no watered down versions for couture collections, its beyond the point..
this is Galliano's finished product, THIS is his vision and for me- with all respect-
even if i had a certain lifestyle, it remains ... unwearable until it really grows to something else.

my problem with galliano is that he completly lacks modernity, that must be IT. [/b][/quote]
I don't think that is always true with galliano.

From what I know of the haute couture process and especially John's process is that what goes out in the show is subject to change and interpretation according to the client's desires. A dress maybe done in white, sans emebellishments, extra embelishments, with or without a certain component, etc many changes go on afterwards. The spectacle of the show certainly attracts clients but when it comes down to fittings and the opening of the pocketbook, the clients will get the changes they want. So I have to disagree with you.

06-07-2004
backstage pass

Wearable or not, it is still wonderful, and beautiful art to me.

06-07-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:46 pm
: I guess it all comes back to what exactly they are trying to sell

- If they are seriously trying to arrtact couture clients......then presenting this sort of clothing is not the right way to go about it

-If they are using this pantomime type clothing/show sheerly to make the RTW and bags more desirable then they are going about it the right way i suppose

-it just seems sad to me that they cant find a median between what can be shown to SELL to hardcore couture clients and this abstract fairytale.
after all.........how amazing was mr.dior at couture shouldnt that be followed through...........
Maybe the real couture stuff inteded for the couture-client rather than the photographers is sold at private dos?

Chanel_Girl?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jul 6th, 2004 - 12:40 pm
i didnt see the Cleopatra look going too far or into the pap for that reason
did you see the pre-fall collection that'll be hitting stores soon?

06-07-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by Mutterlein@Jul 6th, 2004 - 6:46 pm
From what I know of the haute couture process and especially John's process is that what goes out in the show is subject to change and interpretation according to the client's desires. A dress maybe done in white, sans emebellishments, extra embelishments, with or without a certain component, etc many changes go on afterwards. The spectacle of the show certainly attracts clients but when it comes down to fittings and the opening of the pocketbook, the clients will get the changes they want. So I have to disagree with you.
well thats a little bit silly no?

thats like going to a pizza restaurant, looking at the menu and finding they all have bizarre toppings, than having to ask the chef to not include certain ingredients on yours

wouldnt it be better to have a menu with a nice choice of toppings instead

06-07-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid+Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Acid @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 6:30 pm
um, it will translate when the dior couture clients order pieces...........
as it always has been.

but surely if you were trying to attract couture clients.......you would show them what you want to sell them, rather than rather bizarre versions

this would scare away possible clients rather than attract them [/b][/quote]
I disagree. Because you would think they would apply that same logic to ready to wear if that were the case. I mean, there is so much more money at risk than haute couture there. I think the phiolosophy with galliano and dior shows are the same for both ready to wear and couture: big productions, big clothes, wow them, and then when it comes to the sale give them something they can actually be sold and worn.

06-07-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid+Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:51 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Acid @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:51 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mutterlein@Jul 6th, 2004 - 6:46 pm
well thats a little bit silly no?

thats like going to a pizza restaurant, looking at the menu and finding they all have bizarre toppings, than having to ask the chef to not include certain ingredients on yours

wouldnt it be better to have a menu with a nice choice of toppings instead [/b][/quote]
I don't think that is silly because I know that is how the business (or at least some of the business John's been involved with) is done.

I think it is more like going to pizza parlor, having a set list of toppings and then being able to choose which ones you want, if any at all.

06-07-2004
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 8:46 pm

- If they are seriously trying to arrtact couture clients......then presenting this sort of clothing is not the right way to go about it

-If they are using this pantomime type clothing/show sheerly to make the RTW and bags more desirable then they are going about it the right way i suppose

-it just seems sad to me that they cant find a median between what can be shown to SELL to hardcore couture clients and this abstract fairytale.
after all.........how amazing was mr.dior at couture shouldnt that be followed through...........
But you have to face the facts....every season after season Dior announces huge profitraises in HC selling, so apparently this way of showing off and promoting the clothes seems to work just fine for that thin called LVMH' banking account

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-07-2004
& b

This topic is on firreeeee everyone's here now

Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Jul 6th, 2004 - 8:53 pm
This topic is on firreeeee everyone's here now
Lovely ain't it

I don't mind it....it's a healthy discussion....we're still free to post opinions and nobody is killing anyone so

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-07-2004
yes

Mr Dale..........are these couture profits true though?
i can believe that the couture sales are ok.....but do you think enough to produce the show+clothes+pay workers???

im almost certain that LVMH must subsidize this wing of its brand somehow, which is fine of corse

06-07-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:25 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:25 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:04 pm
i can die now.

this collection was highly vivienne westwood inspired, it is obvious...but honestly, i am in awe. i also see a little inspiration from what gianfranco ferre did for dior in the past.

john has finally gotten back to what dior haute couture is all about... just look at the clothes and you can see!

john's inspiration (westwood fall 1995):

THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS BRIAN...I WAS TRYING TO FIND THEM MYSELF...

imo...westwood is MUCH better...and HELLO!!!...it was original 10 yrs ago...probably a little too early/...but that's what makes a leader...they are ahead of the pack!!!...

that's why i always say vivienne is the queen...so many things can be traced back to her...including dries' fall menswear and galliano's as well...and then there's marc jacobs...they are all following in her footsteps... even prada...with the whole "eccentric" thing...

respect where repect is due...all hail queen vivienne...

[/b][/quote]
I hear that soft! Everyone has been inspired by Vivienne. I think she made fashion a lot less snooty.

Galliano creates a spectical; have you ever seen a piece of couture by him that you don't need a time machine or a costume ball to pull off? I do like some of his clothes, but I wish there was less 'show' and more 'fashion' in this fashion show.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale+Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr-Dale @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 8:46 pm

But you have to face the facts....every season after season Dior announces huge profitraises in HC selling, so apparently this way of showing off and promoting the clothes seems to work just fine for that thin called LVMH' banking account [/b][/quote]
I agree.

Perhaps huge spectacles is not the way to attract customers. But that thought is an ill informed opinion. Dior Couture sells, the big shows and the big clothes work.

06-07-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:57 pm
Mr Dale..........are these couture profits true though?
i can believe that the couture sales are ok.....but do you think enough to produce the show+clothes+pay workers???

im almost certain that LVMH must subsidize this wing of its brand somehow, which is fine of corse
Dior has all their financial information online.

Let's find out...

http://www.dior-finance.com/

06-07-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Hmmm...considering the number of people in this thread I think Galliano's hype worked

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0405, christian, dior, f or w, hc, paris