How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2004
desire, undefined

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:21 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:21 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:17 pm
ok so the couture sales account for 4% of the brand's total

i cant quite figure out wether they;re saying their net profit is
A ) 1.127 million euros............ or
B ) 1127 million euros

wines and spirits?....what wines and spirits?....

is this all of lvmh?...or just dior?... [/b][/quote]
that's what I was wondering about. cause I guess this is just for Dior, not LVMH ... ?

06-07-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:24 pm
in that case it must be LVMH

but i find it VERY hard to believe that their couture sales are equal to their watch and jewellery sales
dude...i think you could sell two couture dresses and equal the watch and jwlry sales...the watches and jewelry are costume...so not all that pricey...

it could be possible...

06-07-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

The real question is...how much do CD monogram rulers, ice-cube makers, back-massagers, cucumber-dicers and garlic-crushers make up of their profits?

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
The real question is...how much do CD monogram rulers, ice-cube makers, back-massagers, cucumber-dicers and garlic-crushers make up of their profits?
hahaha....i thought that was just gucci....?...

06-07-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:58 am
I LOVE it....the waiting has paid of!

i would just like to say that no self-respecting woman would be caught dead in this atrocity...

06-07-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:28 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:28 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
hahaha....i thought that was just gucci....?... [/b][/quote]
Well...whatever 'selective retailing' is, it sounds pretty dodgy to me...

Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
By Joelle Diderich

PARIS (Reuters) - Screen sirens were given a royal makeover at the Christian Dior haute couture show on Tuesday, where bombshell gowns fit for a showgirl were paired with diamond tiaras and furs in a decadently opulent mix.

It looked as if British designer John Galliano had raided the crown jewels as he bedecked models with chandelier earrings, jeweled crowns and even a gold orb and scepter.

But these were no stuffy European royals. Rather, they brought to mind the type of consort played by Marilyn Monroe in "The Prince and the Showgirl."

With their hair piled into messy pompadours and their tiaras perched skew-whiff, models preened to a rock 'n roll soundtrack in bustiers with conical bras and nipped-in waists that made for a 1950s hourglass figure.

Guests including actors Val Kilmer and Elizabeth Hurley trekked out to a polo club outside Paris for the display, causing a traffic jam in the normally tranquil Bois de Boulogne.

Kilmer had a simple reason for attending his first ever fashion show. "Women. What else do you want me to say?" the laid-back actor told reporters as he arrived.

Feminine curves abounded, with hips emphasized by giant folds of fabric and exaggerated fishtail skirts.

Handpainted cherubs on a cream silk dress reflected Galliano's fascination for the 18th century, when excess was celebrated in the baroque paintings of artists like Fragonard.

With a shrinking number of practitioners, haute couture is a symbol of excess in a fragile economic climate.

Every outfit on the catwalk is a one-off requiring hundreds of hours of work by skilled seamstresses and embroiderers using techniques handed down from generation to generation.

The dresses will travel around the world to be photographed for glossy fashion magazines before ending up in private collections or museums.

In the meantime, Galliano will tone down his extravagant designs to suit the tastes and pockets of the handful of wealthy women who can afford his made-to-measure creations.

The formula nonetheless makes perfect economic sense for LVMH, the luxury group that owns Dior, Givenchy and a slew of other labels. The show will generate acres of publicity, allowing it to shift more low-cost accessories and perfume.

While Galliano continues to delight his bosses, LVMH has yet to find a replacement for womenswear designer Julien Macdonald, who left its Givenchy label in March. With nobody to bow for the cameras, it has decided not to stage a press show this season.

The value of a star designer was underlined on Monday, when LVMH threw a glittering party to welcome British designer Ozwald Boateng as head of Givenchy's menswear division.

Earlier, Boateng drew hearty applause when he kicked off his debut collection with an animated film depicting him as a "Matrix"-inspired hero slicing through reams of fabric with a gleaming samurai sword -- a perfect exercise in self-publicity.
From www.yahoo.com

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-07-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:58 am

i would just like to say that no self-respecting woman would be caught dead in this atrocity... [/b][/quote]
Maybe it's aimed more at socialite dragqueens?

Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:27 pm
WHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA

Must be LVMH then....

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-07-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 7:34 pm
but surely if you were trying to attract couture clients.......you would show them what you want to sell them, rather than rather bizarre versions

this would scare away possible clients rather than attract them
You know, some (very rich...) people more or less collect haute couture; the stuff doesn't necessarily have to work at the office christmas party or even a ball...

They buy into the "art angle".

And, like has been said, you can customize the stuff if you want it to be more wearable... As a couture client, you actually have the power to choose and decide.

flaunt the imperfection

oh lord...fasten your seatbelts for oswald boateng....

06-07-2004
yes

ok those net figures make a LOT more sence now we know that for LVMH not just dior couture......phew

but still........4% of 12.5 billion (total turnover) is 500 million. and i doubt very much that 2 collections can produce that much from sales

06-07-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by slinky_vagabond+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:30 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slinky_vagabond @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:30 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:29 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Dale
Quote:
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:58 am

i would just like to say that no self-respecting woman would be caught dead in this atrocity...
Maybe it's aimed more at socialite dragqueens? [/b][/quote]
HA!!!

as far as i can tell...that's the only people who would be interested in this nonsense...

hmmm...i can't seem to think of any socialite drag queens off the top of my head....
oh...that's right...THERE AREN'T ANY!!!!!!!!!!! ....................

i get the whole pr thing...but wouldn't it be nice to see a beautiful show with beautiful clothes?....

06-07-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:34 pm
ok those net figures make a LOT more sence now we know that for LVMH not just dior couture......phew

but still........4% of 12.5 billion (total turnover) is 500 million. and i doubt very much that 2 collections can produce that much from sales
Even if Galliano sells each piece for 100,000 then he'd have to sell 250 pieces from each collection not counting overheads and fabrication costs...

yes

i said that already softgrey get with it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0405, christian, dior, f or w, hc, paris