How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
the patterns look like tie dye. it may be haute couture, but resembling a home project isn't doing it any favors.
i agree....the fabric looks like it comes from high school DIY art class.

Minimalism is not an excuse for crappy collections.
"haute couture doesn't mean drama" is also not an excuse for crappy collection.

Yes, the silhouette is Dior's signature wasp waist silhouette.
BUT c'mon the whole paris fashion week uses this silhouette.
Its shaped like Dior's flower women but it lacks the soul, the energy, the vibrancy and the architecture of Dior.
I can tie a tight belt around a boxy jacket and say "this is Dior's hourglass silhouette and job's done"

07-07-2012
V.I.P.

I give the collection a thumbs up, it is elegant and impeccable. I can see these looks in editorials, on the red carpet and selling in stores. The item that I found most intriguing in the collection were the little clutches / minaudières, and I can see the ballgown being truncated into a top and worn over a skinny pant being directional. However I do find the collection safe and a bit of a let down but I know that the fault for it being a let down lies more with me than Raf Simons. The one thing that I will "blame" RS for is that there were looks that were not merely reminiscent of Jil Sander, which is to be expected, but looks that were basically knock-offs of some of his Jil Sander creations. I dunno maybe he wanted a few of his signature looks from Jil Sander to be presented to broader Dior audience / market. I give him a ding for knocking off himself, but I am not too worked up over it if it is part his transition phase.

The let down for me is that I am "trained" to see a Dior show as a show / spectacle and I make no apology for that but at the same time I know that spectacle and elaborateness are not requirements for a collection or presentation to be deemed couture. If this collection is representative of Raf Simons' Dior, I can't cast aspersions but I doubt if Dior will be appointment viewing for me either. The clothes are beautiful and I hope to see his frocks in magazines, on the red carpet and on the street, but if the clothes or presentations do not capture my imagination then I don't feel guilty about not being an avid follower of Simons' Dior.

10-07-2012
fashion elite

well i am so glad,Anna had a dinne rwith John with all the respect to her.. she is the boss of this industry.Rumors is spreading he is coming because Dior replaced him so quickly he had revenge on Dior ,now they are also going to fire RF too bad he is still good with menswear ,time for real haute couture and real fashion all these wannabes are making fashion real late, we need real luxury !

front row

My friend sent me this picture this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000924_10200510532221162_966268106_n.jpg (18.3 KB, 50 views)

13-08-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimirose View Post
Exactly. It's very unproductive to compare Galliano's work to Simons'. They're very different designers with different aesthetics. That's not a bad thing, it's wonderful. We cannot and should not expect Simons' to create identical work to Galliano's.

This collection is lovely. It's an incredibly sophisticated and chic update on classic Dior. The tailoring and cuts are sublime. Some of the gowns and the early trouser suits are also highlights.

This is Raf Simons' very first collection for Dior and isn't his finished product. We mustn't expect too much, too soon. From the looks of things there's a lot to look forward to, though.

Post #149 was really spot on!
You are spot on. It's very unfair to compare like this. I love both designers and both designers have a different approach to design. With all that drama that Galliano would create for his collections. It's actually refreshing to see a Dior collection that is more sober and subdued. It seems to be that is exactly what Dior went to Raf for.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, christian, dior, f or w, hc, paris