How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-07-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradable View Post
bennyboy I think the reason we dont like it is because it yells Jil Sander by Raf. I think Bill could do it better, at least what he used to do was very Dior.

yup u kind of right in some way, but does anyone even think about how hard is this collection to Raf ? Can we just give him more time~~

02-07-2012
V.I.P.

nowfashion

Last edited by Pradable; 02-07-2012 at 09:56 AM.
02-07-2012
front row

Chic, if I little underwhelming. But I am certainly not going to judge Raf by a single couture show. He's new to couture and I have no doubt that he will figure it out, continue to grow and get better. I enjoyed his previous work and clearly Dior wanted a new direction when they hired him. I'm still looking forward to that direction, even if this collections suffers from overly high expectations.

she's got the look

What a stunning collection! Very elegant and beautiful. I'm really happy for Raf, he did an amazing job. Quite excited for more!

V.I.P.

Everyone can keep saying that this is such a good collection etc, but My God, I don't care.

I'm still thinking that Ferre's era and Galliano's era were the best times for Dior/.

02-07-2012
front row

Are you kidding me ?! Same shapes, same colors palette, same spirit. Sorry but Dior now, is like Chanel before Karl, making a lot money, but stopped inspiring people. R.I.P.

style.com and caps by christian zh

02-07-2012
tfs star

it seems that he studied this thread http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f11...ior-50092.html mixed it with he has always been doing , and that was the result

02-07-2012
fashion insider

I can see a bit of classic Dior here but mostly a lot of Jil Sander. I know couture isn't all about theatrics and I think a lot of people are making inaccurate assumptions here that people who don't see it as very couture just think couture's about theatrics. Because I think a lot of the collection could easily pass as high-quality ready-to-wear. A lot of dresses (to me at least) don't look like a team in a studio spent 200 hours making each one.

fashion elite

I think everyone knew it, is nothing new about the style of Raf Simons

rising star

If anyone bothered checking Christian Dior's archives, then you would say it's more Christian Dior than Jil Sander. Ugh. I think it would do better if people viewed the archives. Sheesh.

Even the coats are an homage to Christian Dior!! So for that, bravo Raf.

02-07-2012
.my prison is your brain.

It doesn't have to be over-the-top, foolish, and forced to be haute couture; it's about the silhouetting, innovation, and detailing, kudos to Raf for recognizing that. This is utterly elegant and exciting.

02-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Exactly! I think everyone is far used to there being such a spectacle around Couture that the true sense of what it is all about is completely lost, due to the era of John Galliano, I'm not saying I never enjoyed that period of time, but I think things are taking a swift direction back to minimalism with houses such as Céline, Hermés, Jil Sander being at the fore front of it.

This was Couture at it's best, the simplicity, the cut, the fit, the shapes, it was to die for!

I can understand the comparison to his work at Jil Sander, but that is what his aesthetic is, it's not what Jil did, it's what Raf does and he can carry on doing that if this is what we're likely to see each season, it was truly gorgeous.
You summed up my thoughts perfectly! And much nicer than I would have said them... I'm finding I'm quite opinionated when it comes to this issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
And I see Christian Dior FINALLY. Dior with Christian was all about these elegant and sometimes over the top volumes.
Galliano era is over. No more theatrical pieces. That was not what Dior was about. Dior was about this:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f11...ior-50092.html
Indeed.

And as for all the Raf for Jil Sander comparisons, I mean, what did you expect? Did you expect him to put his own take on the Galliano for Dior aesthetic? No, I think it makes sense that rather than trying to twist his own aesthetic to fit the notion of what some folks think the Dior aesthetic should be, he's twisting the Dior aesthetic to fit his own (all while paying homage to Christian Dior). Isn't that what designers do? Not to mention, he's in a transitional phase, so of course some of his first works for Dior are going to resemble his last works for Jil Sander.

fashion icon

I miss Bill..
very so boring!

02-07-2012
fashion insider

Did I mention I'm a big fan of Raf Simons?

V.I.P.

post #81 said it all I don't care about galliano, raf o bill...this is just ugly and boring. and screams Jil Sander

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, christian, dior, f or w, hc, paris