How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2014
tfs star

For me, the 3rd part is the best, plus the four opening looks! And my favorite look is the one on Sui He! That dress is so lovely and fresh!
And the looks on Ginta and Marine D are super beautiful!

08-05-2014
V.I.P.

Honestly when I look at this it reminds of Balenciaga and some other London designers circa 2008-9, its quite stale.
The shoes are hideous.

08-05-2014
V.I.P.

Fantastic collection from Raf, once again. It followed the feeling of the F/W collection with fresh pump of energy. Loved what he did with the silk scarf motif, they gave the looks such a breezy feeling, perfect daywear clothes. I'm particularly in love with those three patchwork scarf dresses, they're awesome. Great shoes and bags as well. He's really turning Dior into the go-to house for the modern woman.

PS: I really don't get from where you people are getting Balenciaga here.

V.I.P.

It started off okay, really peaked in the middle, and went downhill at the end.
That handkerchief look on Magda was probably my fave look. Such a vibrant, fun color and the layers of that sheer fabric seems quite fun. The mix of some prints works while it just bothers me on others. The monochromatic looks are horrendous. I like some of the silhouettes they have, but they just seem so generic overall and could've been edited out.

V.I.P.

The collection’s leitmotif is the silk scarf, or the French carré. Here the scarf is transformed into ‘the flag’ of the collection;
its pop iconography playfully explored, its conservative, lady-like connotations exploded, its sinuous, free-spirited
sensibility embraced. The carré’s geometry is often borrowed for the construction of garments and the scarf’s hand-painted
patterning for their supple decoration.
Traditional, firm couture constructions, based on those of the stock mannequin, are combined and contrasted with
the silks in the collection, the rigidity of the bodices often at play with the fluidity of sleeves and skirts. Traditional Dior pleats and godets are relaxed and made flowing, their sinuous construction and bias cutting a further study of hard
and soft, a theme that runs throughout the collection including the scarf wrapped shoes and jewellery.
A different kind of ‘handmade’ sensibility comes into play with the exploration of American ‘homespun’ crafts; the French
atelier’s take on macramé, with its delicate, seamless formations, large patchwork furs that resemble blankets but belie their supreme compositional skill, the utilisation of supple suede both for outerwear and skirts, hand-woven skills usually employed for carpet making, radically applied to the construction of tailoring.
“I wanted an element of playfulness in powerful looks, it was an element of freedom coming into those looks,” explains Raf Simons. “This freedom is something I admire in the way particular American women dress.
And I feel a really strong energy coming from American women in their response to the work I am doing
at Dior – and historically to the response America had to the work of Christian Dior himself. It is a reciprocal relationship and I wanted to return that feeling.”

from the press release by DIOR

09-05-2014
V.I.P.

Those bright yellow and orange mini dresses are fun, and they're definitely the standout looks for me here. But otherwise this is boring as hell. It's very Raf, so that's good. But I also get a lot of Christopher Kane from this (someone else mentioned this, as well), and that is not so good It's just so repetitive and the "theme" is lame. For a Resort collection it's passable, but I still cannot help but feel frustrated that he's not moving on from the same few cuts and ideas and that every Dior collection is starting to look/feel the same.

09-05-2014
rising star

It's quite amazing to see how incredibly boring Dior has become under Raf. Dior had a sense of fun and lightness ; now it's just repetitively heavy and monotonous. You have to dig so much to find something and/or a combination of things that you like...

scenester

I have to disagree with the most of you. I love the fact that Raf has turned Dior into something unexpected, different and actual. He also managed to create a silhouette that by the waist cut you say that is Raf Simons for Dior and is chic, light and very wearable.

10-05-2014
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Pulchra View Post
I have to disagree with the most of you. I love the fact that Raf has turned Dior into something unexpected, different and actual. He also managed to create a silhouette that by the waist cut you say that is Raf Simons for Dior and is chic, light and very wearable.
I don't see anything unexpected or different about Raf's work, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. To me it just looks repetitive and mildly unpleasant.

front row

Coming from someone who absolutely hates Raf at Dior and longs for the OLD days at Dior, this isn't all that bad for me.

backstage pass

I have never been a fan of Raf Simons, especially not of his Dior work and here.. Well I still don't like it. The mix of patterns is really unsettling to me, colours don't match really well and the cut of the dresses makes it even messier. Then there are these coats and suits that we've been seeing since he arrived at Dior. And I won't even comment on the sneaker-sandal thing......

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2015, christian, dior, resort, york