How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2011
fashion insider

it is a good collection but not a Dior one

30-09-2011
V.I.P.

Edited Show

30-09-2011
fashion elite

Christian Dior | Spring Summer 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUhcZ8dcPA

Last edited by Fatalefashion; 30-09-2011 at 05:29 PM.
30-09-2011
front row

Not interested.

V.I.P.

Full Show | High Definition

30-09-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Not interested.
LOL

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Not interested.

trendsetter

Suzy Menkes review

Quote:
The Word to Tweet Is 'Sweet'
By SUZY MENKES
Published: September 30, 2011

PARIS — There is a stirring in this fashion city of fresh shoots and new beginnings. And it is the Frenchness of this new mood that stands out, as though a generation were looking at Paris fashion and what it stands for today.
Enlarge This Image

Chris Moore/Karl Prouse
Christian Dior, by Bill Gaytten, spring/summer 2012, in Paris.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTimesfashion for fashion, beauty and lifestyle news and headlines.
Enlarge This Image

Chris Moore/Karl Prouse
Sacai, by Chitose Abe, spring/summer 2012, in Paris.

The word to tweet is “sweet” — not meaning the American idea of “cute” nor the Japanese “kawaii” that contains the idea of attracting attention in a kooky way. Instead, there is an innocence in fashion’s mood for spring/summer 2012.

The surprise in shows Friday was a light-handed and delicate touch at Christian Dior , where the designer Bill Gaytten, the right hand of the previous designer, John Galliano, was expected, at best, to hold the fort until a successor is named.

A source close to Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said after the show that the decision might not be made until the end of the year. The source asked for anonymity because talks are ongoing.

(The fashion pack believes it will be Marc Jacobs, swapping chairs with his current role at Louis Vuitton).

“Mr. Dior — and reinterpreting the ‘Bar’ jacket” of the designer’s famous New Look outfit, said Mr Gaytten of his aim for this interim offering. And that approach worked well, because fashion has been looking toward the post-World War II period and the revival of femininity in the 1950s.

What this designer brought was nothing of Mr. Galliano’s narrative ingenuity, the theatrically painted faces and mad hats. Instead, there was a version of “Dior Lite”: the new Kool-Aid being to take the familiar silhouettes and loosen them up.

A kimono sleeve on the jackets released the Dior woman from rigorous tailoring and skirts were puffed up in featherweight fabrics. The show, with a set of the gray and gilded salon architecture, generally showed a youthful, but classic, couture attitude.

Dresses were pretty, their rounded silhouettes broken by geometry: a mosaic of tiny square tiles at neck or even smaller pieces scattered above the hem. The light and airy feeling was carried through in colors like a watery aquamarine or a beige cascade of vertical ruffles. A dash of red matched the models’ scarlet lips.

After an over-the-top couture show, this was a pleasing outing from a designer who has the technique to create a bust line where the bosoms seemed to flow out of the dress — a rare moment of sensuality and a brief tick of fashion emotion.

This Dior event was low key, even if still held in a mighty tent in the gardens of the Rodin Museum. But the truth is that the fashion world already had fallen half out of love with that excess. This show was pretty and appropriate and no disgrace to the heritage of Dior.
www.nytimes.com

The most loved man in Paris ♥

Vogue.co.uk

Last edited by CholoChic; 30-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.
30-09-2011
backstage pass

Pretty... I guess...

30-09-2011
scenester

This collection is a vast improvement over what I've seen come down Dior runways in the last few years. I love the understated prettiness of this collection, from the colours and patterns to the shapes and fabrics. And I love that this ready-to-wear collection looks exactly that — ready to wear — and not like the over-the-top (and pretentious) showmanship of Galiano's recent years. Leave that for the couture collection. And I don't see how anyone can say this isn't Dior in design — the new guy draws on some of Galiano's shapes and styling but without the drama.

30-09-2011
chaos reigns

I love how they brought back the Bar jacket. Its a perfect match for this dropped shoulders/cocoon shape trend that we are seeing.

And the collection does pay an homage to the heritage of the house of Christian Dior.

Still, I feel like Gaytten is stuck on rigurous colour palette and somehow his dresses are a bit off.

I give this show a solid seven.

backstage pass

IDK, seeing the show start reminded me of all those old Galliano/Dior shows, the dramatic lighting and the way it traveled down the runway...John should be here

30-09-2011
front row

Amazing introduction, this collection was better than expected. That's a plus, an unexpected plus. But it still feels very naked....I miss seeing an oversized coat, plumes of feathers wrapped around someones head, sheer fabric slipping away, something to really slap the viewer in the face with something fantastic (something that only fashion, specifically Dior's identity in the 2000s, can offer and nothing else)....hmm........

30-09-2011
V.I.P.

I think it if Mr. Gayten does get to hold on and really head Dior
we'll get a hard time first with the changes, this looks very underwhelming when we got used to Galliano's flamboyant designs, exaggerated silhouettes
and of course the trademark color palettes.

hope for another improvement next season
its too much red, dry colors and ruffles make some of it look like Valentino collection.

I noticed Gayten's new Dior trademark has those colored checkered
metallic like mosaic embeds, I don't like it

Last edited by LiranYana; 30-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
01-10-2011
trendsetter

The real tragedy of the whole collection is that there was no climax or drama to speak of, which has become a norm for Gallianos collections. The collection was just there just for the sake of being there.

If it wasn't obvious enough that LVMH only cared about selling perfumes and handbags, this made it even more obvious at how poorly made and poorly designed this collection was.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, christian, dior, paris, s or s