How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2012
V.I.P.

WTH sorry but I think YSL are going over the top now. At the end of the day when a women wears a red sole shoe 9 out 10 people will assume they are Louboutins.

Quote:
The legal experts went on: "A woman who buys red shoes is doing so for a reason - red shoes have a particular meaning to her, and to others, that cannot be supplied or even approximated by shoes of a different colour.
Yeah they want people to think they are wearing Louboutins not YSL. This reminds me of something Rachel McAdams said in Glamour -

GLAMOUR: Do you get very involved in creating your characters' looks?
RACHEL MCADAMS: Yeah, I love those preliminary conversations about who a character is. You try on wigs, shoes and clothes. It's preferable when it's not about looking pretty. It can get a little dull to just be cute. We talk about things like, maybe my character can't afford these Christian Louboutins. [The stylist] will say, "No one will notice." And I'm like, "Everyone knows that red-bottom shoe!"

06-01-2012
Power to the 99%

But YSL didn't bring the suit ... they are simply defending their right to use red in whatever way they please. YSL has very well-known and recognizable looks of their own. Anyone who can afford YSL can also afford Louboutin.

06-01-2012
Noblesse oblige

^I totally agree with you. The YSL shoes are very different from Louboutin, everyone who is into fashion could distinguish:

fyiitsagirlthing.wordpress.com

fashioncage.blogspot.com

These YSL palais pumps could never be Louboutin. Although he also makes peep toes, the platform and the heel is SO different and SO NOT Louboutin.

06-01-2012
tfs star

That's stupid actually !! red soles aren't Louboutin's own !! and im sure YSL didnt copy it , it's just the idea that the sole's color matches the shoe color !

Last edited by KemAlnagdy; 06-01-2012 at 12:48 PM.
06-01-2012
Some Like It Hot

You can distinguish between the shade of Red used on the YSL's from the Louboutin's, Louboutin's is more vivid and considerably brighter than the YSL's.

Of course we can tell, but not every man or woman could distinguish them like we can.

Also didn't Louboutin trademark the use of red soles as it is so iconic to his brand ? i don't know if i read it right or whether I'm imagining it...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Also didn't Louboutin trademark the use of red soles as it is so iconic to his brand ? i don't know if i read it right or whether I'm imagining it...
Yes, he did indeed trademark a particular shade of red for his soles .

Some Like It Hot

^Thought so, thanks for clarifying Melancholybaby! .

Power to the 99%

^ This thread is about the trademark having been thrown out (the court has ruled it isn't valid) as a result of Louboutin's sending out spies to other designers and threatening/bringing a series of lawsuits. Far from protecting the trademark, they appear to have overreached and imploded it. Now they are appealing ...

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

Updated..

http://fashionista.com/2012/09/chris...f/#more-287067

SAD.

fashion insider

I'm very pleased YSL won that particular trial...I mean YSL speaks for itself...it doesn't need a red sole to be identified as a YSL shoe....Mr. Louboutin...grow up!

Some Like It Hot

^I strongly disagree, I think it's on the same level as Tiffany and their trademark color, it is Mr Louboutin's iconic color, if you see a red sole it is ultimately related to his product, other brands backed his case also.

barcode

This has been going on for, what, about a year and a half now, and I'm still baffled by disparaging comments made towards Louboutin over his fighting to protect a concept that is his signature -- hell his logo really -- and now being vindicated for it.

It's not about whether or not I or any other fashion-type would know that the YSL shoes aren't Louboutins. It's about the fact that most people -- regardless of whether they can easily spot the differences between the two shoes and identify the respective brands -- will think of Louboutin upon seeing a red sole on any shoe. It's a brand identifier, just as Chanel's chain handles, Gucci's horse bits and Prada's silver triangle are. They aren't technically logos, but they're so closely linked with the brand that seeing something similar immediately draws a comparison. Besides, if Louboutin didn't pursue this it would have set a precedent. Anyone could then do a red sole -- whether it's another brand using it for visual interest or a knock-off company using it to look like the real deal -- and it would dilute the impact of Louboutin's signature touch.

I don't blame him in the least for working to prevent that and I'm honestly surprised that so many people do.

Last edited by Spike413; 06-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
06-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
^I strongly disagree, I think it's on the same level as Tiffany and their trademark color, it is Mr Louboutin's iconic color, if you see a red sole it is ultimately related to his product, other brands backed his case also.
i'm referring to YSL's all red shoe...I mean I doubt it was YSL's decision to include a red sole because they wanted to copy Louboutins. I'm sure some designer has done a red sole shoe before Louboutin came along....

Edit: it's quite pathetic how Louboutin needs a red sole to make a shoe his own...

Last edited by GERGIN; 06-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
06-09-2012
fashion insider

I'm glad the trial turned out this way. Louboutin gets to keep the red sole trademark, which I think is pretty reasonable since consumers do identify red soles with Louboutin. YSL gets to keep making their red shoes, which I also think is reasonable because making an entirely red shoe is a pretty basic property. Trademarks become unreasonable when they deny other brands to using properties on such a basic level.

barcode

^ Really GERGIN? Is it pathetic when other designers use signature flourishes to signify that a product is theirs, or is it just in this case because you disagree with it? And not to be rude but that's a pretty hollow attack on something that, frankly, nobody ever questioned before Christian Louboutin piped up to protect his use of something as a branding tool. Besides, there are plenty of other signature Louboutin flourishes; heel shape, hidden platforms, silhouettes.

And where in any of this has anyone stated that YSL's intent was to copy anybody? The intent isn't what's been argued. Nobody thinks that YSL attempted to slyly knock off Louboutin, it's that Louboutin clearly feels that the red sole is as much his logo as the famous "YSL" is to Saint Laurent, and wishes to protect that signature. Again, why is he wrong for that?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christian, laurent, loses, louboutin, saint, shoe, soles, sues, update, yves