How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-04-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Christian Louboutin sues Yves Saint Laurent over shoe soles *Update* Loses
shine yahoo

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent has made some red pumps with matching red soles. Christian Louboutin, in a fierce display of red-sole entitlement, is suing YSL for this. The Telegraph explains:

Yves Saint Laurent's spring 2011 collection features a pair of red suede shoes with matching red soles, which have prompted Louboutin to file court papers in New York suing them. The collection also features purple shoes with purple soles, navy with navy soles and green with green soles, but it's the red soles that have sparked the legal action.

The spring collection is not the first time YSL has made red shoes with matching red soles (the pumps pictured are from a past season collection and currently available on Bluefly). Louboutin's legal team argues in court papers: "The defendants use of red footwear outsoles that are virtually identical to plaintiff's Red Sole Mark is likely to cause and is causing confusion, mistake and deception among the relevant purchasing public as to the origin of the infringing footwear." Do these shoes really confuse you? YSL's platform pumps are pretty distinctive in the shape and contour of the sole and heel, hue of the back of the shoe aside. Maybe the question is: Are the number of people who know what a Loub is that much greater than the number of people who can spot a YSL Tribute pump?
pic yahoo

Last edited by Urban Stylin; 10-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

YSL FTW

Owning copyright over red soles is almost as ridiculous as Paris Hilton owning the phrase "That's Hot". Personally I'd be insulted if anyone mistook my YSLs (not that I own any) for Loubs I don't get why Louboutin is suing brands and designers here and there over this. If the red sole is really the only thing that distinguishes Loubs from other shoes then that's sad to begin with. If YSL had copied the whole design of a classic Louboutin shoe it would be different but to sue just because of the color of the sole....that's kind of lame

Last edited by Psylocke; 10-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.
10-04-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I know, i was hoping it was a joke..how trivial of them

10-04-2011
scenester

I would have understood the law suit if YSL had made the rest of the shoes with red soles but this is obviously not the case here. But as the red sole is Louboutin's trade mark I get it but it does seem slightly trivial to file suit against YSL. Technically all YSL has to do is change the hue of the red - the CL red is trademarked (I guess, like Valentino Red) - so if YSL changed the red to a hue that the court & CL were "happy" with then it should be sorted.
Posted via Mobile Device

10-04-2011
on the come up

I'd have been happy if I bought a pair thinking they were Loubous only to realize later that they're actually YSLs!

10-04-2011
fashion elite

Why hasn't he sued Ceasare Pacioti yet? His soles are almost always red nowadays.

fashion icon

Oh please, Christian Louboutin get over yourself. The soles obviously are meant to match whatever color the shoe is. It isn't as though YSL is making all their shoes with red soles.

10-04-2011
fashion icon

Christian Louboutin owns red soles now?

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

Louboutin should also sue argentine shoe brand Paruolo, they´re also using red soles...

10-04-2011
trendsetter

This is hilarious, really, Louboutin?

10-04-2011
fashion insider

Is this actually serious? I'm sure CL and YSL aren't the only labels using red soles.

barcode

Not for anything but how is Louboutin suing over the use of a red shoe sole, which he has trademarked, any different than if YSL turned around a sued another brand for using their logo? Why is it laughable that Louboutin would sue over something that is his signature, that make his shoes instantly recognizable the same way interlocking Gs or the double C make Gucci and Chanel products instantly recognizable. That red sole is his logo.

10-04-2011
Power to the 99%

It's ridiculous because clearly YSL's intent is not to be mistaken for anything else. They have quite a strong shoe brand in their own right. I wonder if they're doing this because YSL is another French company and they want to bring this suit under French law? I can understand suing over this, but it should be a company whose intent is to be mistaken for Louboutin ...

10-04-2011
tfs star

You really cannot compare a logo to a signature style. I think it is rather arrogant of them to sue YSL because they heels with red soles. It's not like they were they only ones in the world to ever have red soles, they simply made it their signature. Logos are original designs, a red sole is not. Chanel is known for their tweed, now do you see them going around suing people for using tweed? I understand if they trademarked it, but at the end of the day, it's a damn colored sole! Just because others are creating designs that happen to be your trademarked signature, does not mean they are stealing your idea. All they want is money.

Last edited by Ives927; 10-04-2011 at 11:06 PM.
10-04-2011
front row

i can understand where this can create a brand confusion and the and is something that is trademarked by louboutin

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christian, laurent, loses, louboutin, saint, shoe, soles, sues, update, yves