Christopher Bailey to Exit Burberry - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

Christopher Bailey to Exit Burberry
Quote:
Christopher Bailey to Exit Burberry in 2018

Bailey saw the company through a whirlwind of change in 17 years.

By Samantha Conti on October 31, 2017

LONDON — After 16 years at Britain’s largest luxury fashion brand, Christopher Bailey is hanging up his Burberry trench. The company said Tuesday that Bailey, president and chief creative officer, would resign at the end of 2018.

“As Burberry begins the next decade of its journey, Christopher has concluded that after 17 years it will be the right time for him to pursue new creative projects. Christopher will remain president and chief creative officer until 31 March 2018, when he will step down from the board. He will provide his full support to chief executive officer Marco Gobbetti and the team on the transition until 31 December 2018,” the brand said in a statement.

The company said that since joining in 2001, Baiiley has been a driving force behind Burberry’s transformation. In that time, Burberry has grown from a small licensed outerwear business to become one of the world’s largest and most admired global luxury brands.

Bailey said: “It has been the great privilege of my working life to be at Burberry, working alongside and learning from such an extraordinary group of people over the last 17 years. Burberry encapsulates so much of what is great about Britain. As an organization, it is creative, innovative and outward looking.

“I do truly believe, however, that Burberry’s best days are still ahead of her and that the company will go from strength to strength with the strategy we have developed and the exceptional talent we have in place led by Marco. I am excited to pursue new creative projects but remain fully committed to the future success of this magnificent brand and to ensuring a smooth transition.”
Source: WWD.com

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

His contribution to this brand is certainly remarkable, and in the British fashion scope, immeasurable! But I feel that the last few collections lacked excitement. So the time was right. Quit while you're ahead, as the Americans would say.

31-10-2017
front row

So I guess the rumour about Phoebe Philo heading to Burberry is true?

31-10-2017
fashion elite

A very well timed exit. Bailey's last few collections have lacked excitement indeed and I don't think the see-now-buy-now model worked out exactly as he hoped, so this is for the best. He has done a tremendous job, turned Burberry into a powerful global player but it is time for fresh ideas.

31-10-2017
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyVetiver View Post
that's a rumor??

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
So if this rumour is true then the Jacquemus rumour must be true as well! I would've preferred to see him at a house in complete disarray, where he can implement a new aesthetic without much backlash. The Céline fanbase is still very strong, and the brand is thriving. I don't think he's ready for them personally. His sense of refinement would have been better suited to Lanvin though.

31-10-2017
tfs star

Quote:
My first thought when I saw the news. But the Jacquemus part of this is new to me.

fashion elite

Burberry hasn't been the same for the past 7 years...Since they decided to show at LFW actually.
But, he did a wonderful job at the house and his collections from 2006 to 2009 were beyond marvelous and influencial. He did some of the most wonderful pants of that era and made people excited about a house that had a very terrible reputation not so long ago.

As he is one of Anna's favorite, i'm sure he will find a good job for him sooner. If Nicolas doesn't renew his contract, he will be one of the top contender for Vuitton.

The Celine thing is more and more inevitable... Phoebe will be missed. I suspect she will leave after the FW2018 show.

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
I hope not. What she's doing at Céline is the opposite of what I want Burberry to be.

I hope they roll back the 'see now, buy now' and the annual collections thing though.

Last edited by Scotty; 31-10-2017 at 10:13 AM.
31-10-2017
V.I.P.

*ahem*

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
*ahem*
Yes, let's have a moment of applause for Mutterlein who called this. Lol.

31-10-2017
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
So if this rumour is true then the Jacquemus rumour must be true as well! I would've preferred to see him at a house in complete disarray, where he can implement a new aesthetic without much backlash. The Céline fanbase is still very strong, and the brand is thriving. I don't think he's ready for them personally. His sense of refinement would have been better suited to Lanvin though.
Well, Lanvin certainly suits your 'in complete disarray' bill, nothing better But his aesthetic (despite his really great draping skill) seems much more in keeping with Celine under Philo.

31-10-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Do you really think that any designer would want to work alongside Mrs Wang?
She seems to be tough and judging by the way the got rid of Alber at Bouchra, it must not be that joyful.

I know if i was a designer, i would prefer stay independent.

31-10-2017
#Resist

^ I believe it's the current test for insanity/unbridled optimism in the fashion world

31-10-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Yes, let's have a moment of applause for Mutterlein who called this. Lol.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bailey, burberry, christopher, exit