Clare Waight Keller Named Artistic Director of Givenchy - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot
 
How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
16-03-2017
  31
tfs star
 
VogueDisciple93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I suppose that Resort 2018 will be her first collection..
Her first collection will be Spring 2018.

__________________
"Fashion must be the most intoxicating release from the banality of the world." - Diana Freeland
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  32
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,104
Congratulations Claire!
I think she will be a much better fit at Givenchy than she was at Chloe, her design aesthetic is more in line with Classic Givenchy.
The clothes will be on the cline with Loewe/Celine. The one big benefit of all this is , the Kardashians will be gone

  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  33
trendsetter
 
StockholmFW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,332
Congratulations! I'm very excited to see her bringing the current Givenchy up from the ground.

__________________
StockholmFW
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  34
V.I.P.
 
kasper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,528
Can't wait to see her couture collections...

__________________
tumblr
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  35
backstage pass
 
IloveDiorHomme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dreamsland
Gender: homme
Posts: 992
It's gonna be a boredom festival. Sorry but lately when this kind of boring designer gets a tenure, it has been a wrong decision..

Maria-Grazia Chiuri replacing Raf Simons : boring and fugly
Bouchra Jarrar replacing Alber Elbaz : boring and dated

It will be exactly the same with Clare Waight-Keller. She will end-up designing "lovely, cute and commercial" collections with no message AT ALL. Because maybe this is the world of fashion we live in now. CEOs want this kind of designers whom aesthetics is closer to H&M/Zara than incredible visionary designers with a great point of view that imagine sell commercial pieces.

I am not negative, just realistic. Her work at Chloé was never exciting, iconic, modern, fresh...whatever quality you can find in a good collection. And I am very disappointed with this decision because LVMH should believe in young talents like it did in the 90's.

See you in september dear Clare, when you will make us all yawn with your floral blouses and itsy-bitsy brown purses .

__________________
ntm
  Reply With Quote
 
17-03-2017
  36
backstage pass
 
perhydrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Poland
Gender: homme
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDiorHomme View Post
It

I am not negative, just realistic. Her work at Chloé was never exciting, iconic, modern, fresh...whatever quality you can find in a good collection. And I am very disappointed with this decision because LVMH should believe in young talents like it did in the 90's.
But isn't that the problem of Chloé? It's just girly and sweet. And commercial. You can't really change that and make it exciting. Even Philo's tenure was pretty 'normal' and she wasn't pushing anything forward but it made the brand relevant again back in the days. When Melim Anderson tried to move the brand in the new, tougher direction, he got fired after three seasons. That's why I think Clare will do wonders with Givenchy, as she did with Pringle of Scotland. Givenchy just doesn't have that kind of attitude that Chloé has. It's more like carte blanche with couture traditions. And I doubt that she'll do anything boho there. That was just rooted in the history of Chloé.

And I don't think there is anyone who would be better at Givenchy because the new wave of designers is just too focused on Riccardo and other designers. Nobody has their own voice that would be strong enough for the house of Givenchy.

  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  37
fashion elite
 
Lola701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: france
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDiorHomme View Post
And I am very disappointed with this decision because LVMH should believe in young talents like it did in the 90's.
I'm sorry to say that but it's maybe time for us to realize that nothing will ever be like or closer to what we had in the 90's or 00's.
We are coming from 3 eras of greatness in fashion and we always fantasize about it for some reasons.

Young talents yes, but young ideas? Not so sure...
Most of the designers today don't even have an aesthetic. Most of them have a signature but for the most part, they blend in the trends...

You mentionned Jarrar. She is interesting because we could believe that she has an aesthetic but in fact, no. She has a signature, she is like Mary Katranzou nd her digital prints or Iris Van Herpen. She can do navy blue mixed with white and gold but ask her to do a red dress and it will be hard for you to know that it's one of her dress...

When i'm looking at Clare's past collections at Pringle, i'm surprised because while it's commercial, it has depth. I like that.

There's a lot of issue in the industry right now. Brands wants to sell more and this era does not allow to creative to give good fashion a have the results of it.

Marc Jacobs at LV managed to do what he wanted because the monogram bags were selling like crazy. But, once people weren't that impressed with his work on the monogram, they started to look for something else. Nicolas Ghesquiere today is doing what he is supposed to do: establish a consistent RTW and bags that can survive a season.

Karl's extravaganza is doing wonders at Chanel because what's the best way to make people interested in buying the same piece (a chanel tweed suit/jacket) each season: a theme! In the ships you have asking literally if one piece is from the so-called theme collection of the season.

Clare is not Maria Grazia and even at Chloé, her fashion wasn't as repetitive as what MG did.

I'm kinda sad to know that the Kardashian will follow Riccardo at Versace. I've always loved Versace and the fact that it was dangerous enough for the Kardashian to not look into it. They wanted their fashion credibility so hard that it was easier for them to dress in Givenchy than in cliché Versace.

  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  38
trendsetter
 
Nomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,264
This is quite a surprise but I'm very interested to see what Claire will do at Givenchy and how she will interpret her vision. I think she always played it quite safe at Chloé so hopefully she pushes herself a bit more with this great opportunity.


Last edited by Nomar; 17-03-2017 at 10:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  39
trendsetter
 
SpeakThatJDunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Leeds, England
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,058
How the bloody hell is she gonna design for Givenchy? Intrigued though.

__________________
Jourdan. Gisele. Gemma. Natasha. Anja. Naomi.
  Reply With Quote
17-03-2017
  40
#Resist
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhydrol View Post
But isn't that the problem of Chloé? It's just girly and sweet. And commercial. You can't really change that and make it exciting. Even Philo's tenure was pretty 'normal' and she wasn't pushing anything forward but it made the brand relevant again back in the days. When Melim Anderson tried to move the brand in the new, tougher direction, he got fired after three seasons. That's why I think Clare will do wonders with Givenchy, as she did with Pringle of Scotland. Givenchy just doesn't have that kind of attitude that Chloé has. It's more like carte blanche with couture traditions. And I doubt that she'll do anything boho there. That was just rooted in the history of Chloé.

And I don't think there is anyone who would be better at Givenchy because the new wave of designers is just too focused on Riccardo and other designers. Nobody has their own voice that would be strong enough for the house of Givenchy.
I disagree. What Phoebe did there was exciting and innovative and captured everyone's attention. She did top-ranked shows there. What Clare did was competent, and consistent to the point of all being the same. We'll see if she has the chops for couture ... I wouldn't have thought so.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
19-03-2017
  41
tfs star
 
EstefaniaAbaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,604
This could be huge. A true Humbert tribute.

But I'll be happy if they just stop with the sportswear/streetwear nonsense they've been trying to sell us for the last 4 years or something. No more hoodies, please.

__________________
*MariaCarla Boscono*Kristen McMenamy*Guinevere Van Seenus*
  Reply With Quote
20-03-2017
  42
windowshopping
 
givenchypout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: italy
Gender: homme
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDiorHomme View Post
April's fool comes quite early this year.
true

  Reply With Quote
20-03-2017
  43
everything sucks!
 
t-rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,505
Why did Tisci leave? (or was he kicked out?) What are the rumors as to where he might be going? I feel like I haven't heard anything about him in regards to leaving Givenchy

  Reply With Quote
20-03-2017
  44
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Springs
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,307
Seee this thread about Tisci leaving Givenchy ... likely to have some info about why in here: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...hy-290127.html

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
21-03-2017
  45
V.I.P.
 
Creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I disagree. What Phoebe did there was exciting and innovative and captured everyone's attention. She did top-ranked shows there. What Clare did was competent, and consistent to the point of all being the same. We'll see if she has the chops for couture ... I wouldn't have thought so.
Phoebe was Zara 2.0 at Chloé.

I like Clare as a person but now I'm doubtful about her talent. I agree with IloveDiorHomme, these kind of bland designers are ruining fashion (Maria GC, Bouchra, Nadège, Sarah Burton...).

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artistic, clare, couturier, declares, director, givenchy, instagram, keller, named, waight
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2017 All rights reserved.