How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2013
fashion insider

I almost choked when I saw that.

04-03-2013
flaunt the imperfection

not a thing...

04-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbrick View Post
Lets not go overboard !
She's good , even great but certainly not greatest.
Ild put Vivienne Westwood right up there too.

But for sure ms CDG is a very astute business woman me thinks, very very astute.
Selling polyester for such astronomical sums . A genius.
Let's not go overboard here either! I believe that's a gross oversimplification. Why are artists selling paint and canvas for millions? She's not selling just "polyester". She's selling her ideas. Besides, do you really think the value of things actually lies in their inherent nature? It's a social construct.

I stand by what I said. Rei Kawakubo is the greatest fashion designer since Cristobal Balenciaga.

05-03-2013
front row

Excellent statement!!!

"Her combination of anarchy, chaos and classlessness makes Punk look ultra-conservative, meek and bland."

And you're absolutely right about Vivienne Westwood. I've always loved Queen Viv....but her collections as of late and for a very long time... are way too redundant, repetitive.

Collections from CDG are always unpredictable. Within each collection presented from Comme....you can see hints, glimpses, and ideas that foreshadow prior collections. Every new collection has been inspired by a previous collection....but every collection is presented afresh and new.

05-03-2013
backstage pass

05-03-2013
front row

Thanks for posting the video, User500....you beat me to the punch. I was going to post the video, too.

06-03-2013
backstage pass

Thanks for the video user500!

Awesome soundtrack. I love the cluttered and intimate space of the show, all the better to see all the amazing details. And what details! Organic, amoeba-like forms protruding from the sleeves; leaf-like swatches of fabrics swaying to the movement of the wearer; almost origami-like roses are literally blooming out of the garments. It's otherworldly, surreal and even resembles a demented court-jester's outfit.

I am genuinely amazed by her vision each and every collection. She never follows, or even incorporates current trends into her vision, ever, yet still maintains high relevance and reverrence.The momentum of this label led by this incredible but never pretentious woman still contains that eternal liveliness and cache that's rarely reserved for older houses with their original designers. She doesn't need to rely or fall back on past-glories to evoke respect-- she continues to produce influential work year after year, and it's all so organic, like you've said Mike; there's always a hint, a residue of the former collection in the new one, but it's progressed, evolved, morphed... and yet always CDG. That's a visionary at work.

06-03-2013
Stitch:the Hand

my....it's even more poetic in motion. like you said phuel,i've not felt anything this organic in some time from rei. it actually reminds me of the belgian/japanese movement in the early 00's a bit. it has that same sense of sombre yet surreal energy about it. and the fact that she used traditional men's attire and materials makes it all the more appealing to me.

phuel you talked about thom browne earlier and the truth is he is nothing but surface. mostly what he does he does for show....his ideas aren't an intrinsic nor integral part of what he designs. it's all add-ons.

to bearbrick,i've never once owned nor felt anything 'polyester' from CdG.....what an ignorant attempt to denigrate somebody as iconic and innovative as kawakubo is.

Last edited by Scott; 06-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
06-03-2013
botanizing on the asphalt

^she does indeed use loads of polyester, but what she does with it is extraordinary...hardly a mere business tactic to elevate such a maligned fabric
with the kinds of treatments and construction that Rei uses. I love that about her actually...I quite respect that comme stays away from luxury materials.

this is an amazing show. no one else could fuse ornament and tailoring (structure) in this way...i love the knotted pieces especially. I wish Rick Owens had brought this type of fusion to his basket-inspired jackets.

But Scott, I do think you are too hard on Tom!
I bet he is going crazy for this....CdG is his favorite.

i dunno maybe it's because i have this perception of polyester and i've been quite fond of the quality of comme up close. but you're right...regardless of what she uses it's always intentional. i mean most of her scents are based on synthetics so it doesn't surprise me that she has a fondness for it in her clothes. it's all part of her fascination with contradictions of an industrial vs. natural world.

06-03-2013
front row

In most cases, the polyester pieces from Comme have been boiled in water, very much like the boiled wool pieces.

Regardless of the fabrics, what she does with them always stays true to Rei's personal esthetic.

By boiling the wool or polyester, it questions..."is the fabric being destroyed, or enhanced??......Very much like deconstructed fashion, also. Is the garment being cut, slashed, ripped, etc....being destroyed or enhanced.

I truly don't mind spending lots of money on a Comme piece made of polyester...cuz' in most cases, I know it will be amazingly constructed and unique.

07-03-2013

see so many assume that because one uses something "man made" that it's somehow about cheapening the value. synthetic materials can in fact be made in good quality. like you said,it's also about the process and treatment of the material which renders it good.

07-03-2013
front row

[QUOTE=Scott;11587865]my....it's even mor

to bearbrick,i've never once owned nor felt anything 'polyester' from CdG.....what an ignorant attempt to denigrate somebody as iconic and innovative as kawakubo is.[/QUOTE

Well look and feel again , better still look at the care label with a Japanese translation device if needed. The dramatic pieces from 2011and /2012 were mostly if not all polyester...

All this talk of how wonderful polyester is , boiled , microwaved or otherwise and how creative and malleable it can be etc.....well I suppose the very good people at the yarn factories in Japan , where CDG may have very very strong links with , must be so pleased with how , what's is essentially plastic, has become oh so loved and admired. AND most of all .....how high the price is ESP those fetched by ms K at CdG ..( higher still if there is another round of oil shock/ crisis ...maybe they could use SHALE OIL then )

CDG is a well run conglomerate with very well oiled marketing strategies ...and strategists ( probably made up of psychology professors )

Don't get me wrong i do like CDG , it excites and tittilates me bones ....occasionally .... But boy oh boy , lets see the forest once in a while , while there's some left ( and not plundered by the shale oil conglomerates )

Last edited by bearbrick; 07-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
07-03-2013
front row

I don't want to go off on a tangent about fabrics. I'm in fear that mentioning fabrics too much will send this thread off track and out of focus from the purpose of this thread. We're supposed to be talking about the collection as a whole, not the fabrics used to create it.

But regardless....I will mention this.

Polyester may be a cheap quality fabric. It's a man made material consisting of woven plastic......but polyester also has a lot of redeeming qualities, too.

Polyester never fades in color. It requires very little ironing and laundry care. It doesn't wrinkle, it doesn't attract lint, and it also doesn't shrink. It also requires very little time to dry, when wet.

Personally, whenever I feel the need to purchase something black (in particular)....I insist that the fabric content contains at least SOME polyester. Although it's polyester, the fabric actually has many redeeming qualities, too.

Many times in the past, whenever I bought something black...the fabric content was either 100% cotton....or wool. Through time, several washings, and with age.....the black garment faded, unfortunately. Cotton has a tendency to fade, and the fabric never retains it's original color. Also, it shrinks a bit from its original size and shape. It happens unavoidably with wool, too.

All of my pieces that have at least some polyester, have all stayed true to their original color....original size, etc.

Although polyester might be considered to be a cheap, man-made material, in some regards I see polyester as a much better investment, in regards to cotton. My polyester pieces have all stood through the test of time, multiple washings, and frequent wear.

07-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
my....it's even more poetic in motion. like you said phuel,i've not felt anything this organic in some time from rei. it actually reminds me of the belgian/japanese movement in the early 00's a bit. it has
to bearbrick,i've never once owned nor felt anything 'polyester' from CdG.....what an ignorant attempt to denigrate somebody as iconic and innovative as kawakubo is.
Ignorant attempt ? .... Never felt anything polyester by CDG ?
Either you purchase from a very well edited oxfam or you know nothing about CDG .

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, comme, des, f or w, garçons, paris