Comme des Garcons F/W 2018.19 Paris - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2018
front row

Great outlook, Jean Claude. And as I mentioned prior....in a previous post.....perhaps all of this....is Rei Kaeakubo's way....of giving all of society the middle finger. Lest we forget she is a punk.

04-03-2018
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by margielamike2004 View Post
Great outlook, Jean Claude. And as I mentioned prior....in a previous post.....perhaps all of this....is Rei Kaeakubo's way....of giving all of society the middle finger. Lest we forget she is a punk.
Exactly! A very subtle way of saying "f.u.c.k. you all, you a.s.s. lickers"!

Last edited by jeanclaude; 04-03-2018 at 07:22 PM.
04-03-2018
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
yeah she used to dress and look like snookie from the jersey shore before her generic music got around. Now you probably don’t know what that means..
Lol. Now I'll never be able to see Lady Gaga without imagining Snooki.

I've been thinking about what Lola said earlier in this thread. Maybe Rei actually has stopped making clothes (or at least "fashion") for a long time now. Didn't she say so herself a while back in 2013? The appeal of these abstract collections for me is definitely not rooted in any sense of clothing in the conventional sense. Yes, they are worn on the body, but that's the only thing they have in common with every other collection during fashion week. Instead, they occupy an interesting limbo between art piece and the fashion cycle.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 04-03-2018 at 07:25 PM.
04-03-2018
front row

...and.....we all need to keep in mind....that Comme was never about making fashion, per se'....it was considered to be more anti-fashion.

04-03-2018
front row

Quote:
...and.....we all need to keep in mind....that Comme was never about making fashion, per se'....it was considered to be more anti-fashion.
Indeed, which is why I don't understand the desire for CDG to be more "commercial". As if we need more of that during fashion week.

I imagine Rei is quite aware that ideas she once introduced as anti-fashion have now become gentrified as part of the fashion mainstream that she has simply taken herself out of the immediate orbit of everyone else.

04-03-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
Indeed, which is why I don't understand the desire for CDG to be more "commercial". As if we need more of that during fashion week.
For me, it's not at all a desire for CDG to be more commercial as she has other lines that feed us with beautiful and interesting clothes. When she started, she wanted and i believe that still to this day, her intention was to challenge our perception of either beauty, feminity or even the idea of fashion as unlike other designers, she didn't came from the heritage of Couture or even high society dressing.

I see her current work still as a reaction to the circus of fashion. She is doing her own circus by also challenging IMO the idea of wearability. These garments are wearable to a certain level but they are not practical. It's like if she removed the function in order to focus on the design in a way.

What i just said is that the desire isn't that much for her to make wearable clothes in a "practical" way as she did because she is not interested in revisiting her own past but, fashion is such in a weird place right now and i feel like she can, with her power, infuse a new energy if she tries to merge this with her past to create something new.

I feel like it's a bit what John is trying to do with Margiela but his clothes get lost in the technicality (if the word exist). Rei has always maintained a deep sense of emotion in her work because rather than being "intellectual", it's pretty much "cerebral".

She has a bit put herself in that piedestal where she is somewhere on the top, isolated in her "creative ivory tower" and the others (her diffusion lines included) are somewhere in the Babel tower. If she can just come visit for one time, maybe something bigger will change.

05-03-2018
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
But...fashion has always been one of my passions. Its like taking a drug through my eye's....that I can't give up. Who's doing what.....who's doing what for who...who's the new creative director for whichever house of fashion..etc etc. A T-shirt of mine....by Jean Paul Gaultier...sums it up for me. "Never Turn Your Back On Fashion."
good to hear that. I tried asking you the question because you stated "Personally.....I'm really fed up with Rei"

Let the stars decide
05-03-2018
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
Lest we forget she is a punk.
the naming of CdG in the first place because of paris dreamin'. and at that time she was a fan girl of sonia rykiel. even after the birth of punk she was driving a citroen. for her, punk is not immediate and lived but objectified and abstract thing. it is science rather than experience. indeed one of the most important comme elements but it's there as code instead of life.

Let the stars decide
05-03-2018
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
anti-fashion is just another fashion that is dependent on fashion. the former is not able to maintain its standpoint without the latter. it's non-fashion that could be something else though.

Let the stars decide
11-03-2018
Vol de Nuit

on a bit different note, there is a weekly magazine named anan, originally a sister publication of Elle. for the issue 348 from 1982, there was a shoot project where designers themselves did the styling of their own clothes and the overall direction including hair, makeup, etc. the theme was to show the clothes for daily life/in ordinary context (as opposed to the runway presentation).
in spite of the theme, "I wanted to remove the general ideas of clothes", rei kawakubo speaking of her intention for the shoot. you saw the radical will already there.
btw yohji's comment was like "I like the makeup where you'd sense the girl is a bookworm and you cannot imagine her eating rice. that said, don't want it to make you imagine her eating shortcake."

fashionpress
asahi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commedesgarcons_18aw_33.jpg (204.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg commedesgarcons_18aw_35.jpg (150.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg commedesgarcons_18aw_40.jpg (114.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg AS20180310000342_comm (1).jpg (217.5 KB, 3 views)

Let the stars decide
4 Weeks Ago
Vol de Nuit

wwdjp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rexfeatures_9444444aj_center_1200.jpg (282.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 180313_COMME_DES_GARCONS_1.jpg (409.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 180313_COMME_DES_GARCONS_8.jpg (117.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 180313_COMME_DES_GARCONS_6.jpg (133.8 KB, 8 views)

Let the stars decide
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
comme, des, f or w, garçons, paris