Comme des Garcons F/W 2018.19 Paris - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2018
V.I.P.

Comme des Garcons F/W 2018.19 Paris

VOGUE.COM

V.I.P.

VOGUE.COM

front row

As we all know....unfortunately, the star of the show will be the Nike Cortez platform sneakers.

Personally.....I'm really fed up with Rie..... and her collaboration shoes with Nike.

03-03-2018
trendsetter

Oh the photos of this show are so gonna be used for the / "it's fashion, look it up" meme.

It's awful, who wears this? not even Lady Gaga anymore.

04-03-2018
V.I.P.

It's a shame her collections are so comical nowadays.

04-03-2018
fashion icon

I love Rei, i love CDG (she does some of the best skirts ever) but i'm tired of this.
What i hate about this kind of performance clothes or display of excess layered with a fake smoke of intellectualism or emotion is that it completely occult what made CDG a major brand.

It's sad that for the millenials, the new generation, CDG is either the brand for converse sneakers and easy pieces with the heart logo or this comical pot-pourri.

I feel like nowadays, more than ever, I need her to do what she does best and i'm sorry, clothes are what she does best. I need her to challenge feminit, to challenge taste, to experiment with cut but all in all through wearable clothes. Not that wearability is that important for me but i believe that being experimental while still having the feeling of wearability (and not practicality) is much more impactful.

I mean, Noir was great and it was maybe one of the best thing this season and it is still wearable and desirable while not necessarly being practical!

04-03-2018
V.I.P.

I like how crazy this is, not everything has to be ready-to-wear the minute the show ends... this is one of very few creative talents showing creations like this

fashion icon

^^
Yes it's "creative" but it is almost too easy to do this kind of clothes. It's much more challenging at this point to return to "real" RTW...It's not like CDG is APC in terms of RTW...It's still normally challenging but this is just there.

04-03-2018
front row

Within the past 4 years...Rei has decided that she's tired o making clothes. I read an an interview with Rei Kawakubo...where she explained her thought process. At first...I thought her explanation was a bit pretentious....but I thought about it after a while....and it seemed to make more sense. She quoted that having to make clothes...."caused her pain." Not physical pain...but I assume she's implying mental anguish and frustration. She quoted that when she started Comme Des Garcons....she promised to herself that she would never repeat anything twice. She promised herself that every collection would be something new...and she would start every collection at ground zero. Taking into consideration that she's been presenting a collection every year....since 1980 (roughly)....she's become exhausted for original ideas. She quoted that her profession is much like a drug. She feels like she wants to stop...but her passion keeps driving her to continue. She quoted that the only way she was able to carry on....was by not thinking about clothes, practicality, or wearabiity. She quoted that people already have enough clothes that they can wear.... she wanted to present something new... that went beyond the boundaries and limitations of practicality or anything wearable. The point of her collections within the past 4 years...isn't about making anything wearable. Nothing in these collections is intended to be worn. To see these collections as anything wearable....means we're all missing....and not understanding....her point of view.

04-03-2018
front row

The spirit of Rei Kawaubo is....she a punk. A punk in the sense where her outlook has always been defiant. A non-confomist, anti-establishment. Breaking rules, challenging rules, and questioning them.... instead of following them. Much like many of her contemporaries who share the same outlook as she does. Vivienne Westwood comes to mind, along with Jean Paul Gaultier, John Galliano, and even Yohji Yamamoto. Fashion designers who didn't set out to present a collection where everything was wearable, pretty, or very pedestrian. So....in regards to everything she's been presenting within the past for years....or even from the most early stages of her career, Rie is holding true to her spirit. Personally, I don't like what's being presented, but its an outlook that I have to accept and respect.

04-03-2018
Hell on Heels

i like this a lot more than last season. I'm going crazy over the first look, that deconstructed red ball gown and this look: http://imgbox.com/t5KRROXa

i so wish i could see the dress underneath the top.

Thank god for Rei. There's got to be a creative, valid, dreamlike alternative to all the hideous streetwear-passed-as-luxury fashion we're seeing collection after collection, and i'm glad she's here to do that. Sure, i sometimes miss her less conceptual and more stricly wearable collections, but still.

04-03-2018
front row

And...with all due respect....I personally have to admire Rie for who she is, what she represents, and who she's grown to be. Rie has built an empire for herself...and she accomplished all of this by staying true herself and her anti-corporate outook. Granted....her "company" is much like a corporate structure, but Rie is the person behind the helm and the person who's running the show. Rie is a fashion person, first and foremost. She's not a business person or a corporate exec. Other corporate companies, such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc etc are mainly concerned with marketability, profit margins. Those corporate companies are not being run by a fashion person. Those companies are being run by a large group of "business" people. Business people care nothing about fashion and creativity. They only care about....money. Much about fashion these days....isn't being decided by fashion people. Fashion is now being decided.... by business people. Rei owns her own company....but she allows other designers under the CDG umbrella to florish and prosper regardless of how crazy...or borderline unwearabe they might be.

04-03-2018
front row

And in regards to a prior post that someone made.. within this thread.....and the mentioning of Lady Gaga?? Does she wear it anymore...or doesn't she.... doesn't concern me. I'm an old soul...and I'm 47 years old. I've heard of Instagram, but I honestly have no idea what its all about....or even care to explore what it means. From my understanding...it seems to be something where pics or "meme's" (???) are posted...and people are free to add their commentary. First and foremost...I'm a fashion person. I honestly care nothing about celebrities or musicians. I'm not the kind of person who takes influence for my fashion sensibility... from anyone famous. I don't need to see Kanye West wearing Cdg to make me realize wearing Comme.... is cool. Same with Lady Goo-Goo. I've been wearing Comme since 1987.....and I've been collecting Margiela pieces since 1990.....even Raf Simon's pieces since 1997. I don't need to see a famous person.....wearing whoe

04-03-2018
front row

Continued....I don't need to see any famous person....wearing whoever....to make me see and realize a fashion designers credibility. I've been wearing Comme...Margiela...Raf....Gaultier...Dries Van Noten for over 20+ years. I'm not going to put my faith and trust towards any famous person who has "recently" jumped on the CDG bandwagon. Overall....I think many of those famous imbeciles are a bit too late.

04-03-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by margielamike2004 View Post
Within the past 4 years...Rei has decided that she's tired o making clothes. I read an an interview with Rei Kawakubo...where she explained her thought process. At first...I thought her explanation was a bit pretentious....but I thought about it after a while....and it seemed to make more sense. She quoted that having to make clothes...."caused her pain." Not physical pain...but I assume she's implying mental anguish and frustration. She quoted that when she started Comme Des Garcons....she promised to herself that she would never repeat anything twice. She promised herself that every collection would be something new...and she would start every collection at ground zero. Taking into consideration that she's been presenting a collection every year....since 1980 (roughly)....she's become exhausted for original ideas. She quoted that her profession is much like a drug. She feels like she wants to stop...but her passion keeps driving her to continue. She quoted that the only way she was able to carry on....was by not thinking about clothes, practicality, or wearabiity. She quoted that people already have enough clothes that they can wear.... she wanted to present something new... that went beyond the boundaries and limitations of practicality or anything wearable. The point of her collections within the past 4 years...isn't about making anything wearable. Nothing in these collections is intended to be worn. To see these collections as anything wearable....means we're all missing....and not understanding....her point of view.
I totally got her point of view at the time and I also loved the collections that followed that process. The thing is that, I donít see it going anywhere now. And she is starting to repeat herself a bit.

Maybe the next stage should be going even more abstract and being an artist and stop making clothes.

In a funny way some of those pieces looks like the sculptures Helmut slang did when he destroyed his archives.

I know itís Rei and i have the greatest respect and admiration for her and i also know that we are not supposed to say anything negative or dismissive about her work but I do because I feel like it. Iím totally against that mentality of saying yes to everything because of the status of designer.

Iím just not touched by this show in particular.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
comme, des, f or w, garÁons, paris