How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_220.jpg (25.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_221.jpg (29.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_223.jpg (28.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_225.jpg (24.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_226.jpg (33.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_227.jpg (33.9 KB, 17 views)

Let the stars decide

11-07-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

all images from catwalking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_230.jpg (25.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_231.jpg (25.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg COMM_MW_AW04_232.jpg (26.4 KB, 15 views)

Let the stars decide
11-07-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

gemmy and full-bodied

Let the stars decide
12-07-2008
scenester

love all the necklines.

12-07-2008
backstage pass

Thank you Runner!
This is amazing! One of the best collections of the past years IMO. Everything from the cut-out jackets, coats, shoes to shirts! Many 'unusual' details for Homme Plus like the necklines and cape- like coats (besides that you couldn┤t name something of the Homme Plus line usual).

04-08-2008
front row

My UTMOST, favorite, collection for men!!! In my opinion...all of Rei's following collections for men have been a complete disappointment. The Rolling Stone's collection was a bit too gimmicky...the Pink Panther collection a bit too "cartoonish"...The Gold collection a bit too flashy and blingy...her collection for Fall 2008 a bit too done, redundant, and too Vivienne Westwood.

For this collection...the choice of fabrics was amazing....the colors were very daring, but blended very well...the silouette of the harem/ish pants was at least something refreshing and slightly new for men...and the patterns/weaves of the fabrics were brilliant!!!

05-08-2008
backstage pass

I like the pirate spirit of it. Looks like something Johnny Depp would happily wear.

front row

I found an article in an old Arena Men's Fashion Magazine from 2004. The article is by Stephen Todd, interviewing Rei Kawakubo about this particular collection, and her views about the fashion atmosphere during this time."She's (Rei Kawakubo) been called the only fashion genius to emerge since Yves Saint Laurent...a radical...a revolutionary...and the most powefully influential living fashion designer in the world. The press has dubbed her "fearless", thanks to her take-no-prisoners approach to each collection, and "fashion's most enduring enigma" because of her refusal to play the press card hard, even in these highly mediated times. Given the avalanche of accolades, it seems only natural to ask Rei Kawakubo about her extrodinary rapport with fashion, and how it has evolved over the 30 years that she's been in the game. But don't expect any major revelations from her. When asked, she simply says "It's just my job.".....Article to continue:

06-08-2008
front row

"It's a job she has carried out with great integrity, never ceasing to question the parameters of fashion...and her own role in an ever-evolving creative process. Since her first presentation in 1981, Kawakubo has sent out clothing shot-through with holes, turned inside out and upside down, padded with foam bumps, edged with frills, corseted, and created in pretty tartan, Liberty print, chunky checks, and mangled wool. All this while earnestly tampering with our notions of proportion, construction, and context, not to mention beauty and sensuality. Starting every collection "from zero", as she puts it, is not easy. "There ore experience you have, the more things you have done, the more things there are not to do again, and the more difficult it is to create something new," she says. Article to continue:

07-08-2008
front row

"This season (CDG Homme Plus A/W 2004) things began smoothly enough, with pinstripe suiting worn over white shirts. But then, jackets began to turn up with frayed edges and a riot of pink and green wool trims; others were boiled to create a scalloped effect. Trousers were voluminous, often straight-cut on the outer seam to mid-calf, the crotch hanging below the knees as if to avoid any overt signs of sexuality. Frilled collars mounted high on the neck, under striped, checkred, and metallic-hued velour jackets; high hats and Jack The Riper-worthy wool overcoats completed the Dickensian-Dandy feeling. Presented at La Coupole, the famous Montparnasse brasserie, with astonished diners and passersby looking on, the collection took Kawakubo's avant-garde vision out of the white cube and inserted it into the everyday, rendering it, as she puts it, "independent."

07-08-2008
front row

I can certainly see the Johnny Depp, pirate influnce this collectionmay "appear" to have...but, upon closer examination...it looks more Edwardian Dandy...very much like the famous writer Oscar Wilde.. The pie-crust collars...the use of velvet...the low-crotch pants that render the wearer almost sex-less (is it a skirt..or are they pants???)...which ambigiously acknowledges the fact that Oscar Wild was homosexual...this whole collection makes a very unorthodox statement.

17-08-2008
backstage pass

@ Margielamike:

Thanks for the review you posted!

Yes it was a very strong collection and there didn┤t follow such a overall great menswear collection of Comme des Garcons yet. But I wouldn┤t call the ones after aw 04 totally disappointing , in no way! I would just say they┤re not so strong as an overall collection like here, where I can say that every look is really amazing.
The following collection, the "pink panther", was a really great one too. The approach in menswear of it still feels so fresh to me - colours, silhouette and the patterns. And Aw 07, SS 08 were great, ...

Here`s another review of AW 04 i have from "Another Magazine":

"... At the same time a different kind of "end of Empire" feeling was also found on display at Rei Kawakubo`s Comme Des Garcons. "The theme of the collection was 'lost englishman' ," clarifies Kawakubo. "It wasn`t really about a certain time or person, just a kind of feeling of an English adventurer wandering around and breaking out of traditional moulds, being confused and experimental." Nevertheless, with its traditional fabrications and subversion of classic dress codes and silhouettes, Kawakubo, too, seems indebted too romantic ideas of the past."

Last edited by user500; 17-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.
19-08-2008
front row

I certainly agree with your point of view, User500. The collections that followed A/W 2004 are entirely interesting, and I wouldn't dismiss any of the proceeding collections. There have always been a few pieces from every CDG homme Plus collection that I would consider wearing..and many of them were actually very desireable, too.

I think the main grudge I have against most of the following collections from 2004 is her insistance on "refrencing" certain topics. I actually love The Pink Panther and The Rolling Stones...but I'd rather hear an album or watch a movie by the aforementioned...instead of wearing these "slogans" or "mascots" on my clothing. Junya Watanabe seems to follow in her traces as far as inspiration...kinda like re-inventing the classics and modernizing them as with Lacoste, Levi's, Lewis Leathers, Pointer, Brooks Brother's, etc etc....but I prefer non-commercial clothing, hence...no logo's...no advertising labels, or corporate branding. To me...it simply lacks good taste and a sense of one's individual style...but regardless...it's only my personal opinion. To each, their own.

06-08-2009
scenester

Homme Plus a/w 2004 pants
Pants by Comme des Garcons

Photography: Willy Vanderperre
Styling: Alister Mackie
Hair and Makeup: Pter Philips at Art and Commerce
Set design: Setevie Stuart and Streeters London
Model: Jeremy Dufour at Success Paris

Source: Another Magazine. Autumn/Winter 2004.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comme_4small.jpg (134.2 KB, 16 views)

04-09-2009
backstage pass

if i had to choose one collection from homme plus, i would name this as my favorite... besides i like a/w 98, 99, 01, 03 and s/s 00, 01 and 05 mostly. from the a/w 04 collection i own one single piece. the mid brown wool jacket, which the model is wearing with a yellow sweater and grey pants. it looks even heavier than on the runway photo, imo. though i try to get sth. more from it vintage by chance.

margielamike, do you actually own sth. from this collection?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0405, comme, des, f or w, garšons, homme, paris