How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-10-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
i applaud and respect rei for what she does, but i simply want to ask: does she actually innovate? to ask that question you have to think about innovation broadly. rei created a brand around being avant-garde, but does that mean she's too contrived, therefore, contradicting herself as an avant-garde designer? but, because fashion is largely about collective thought, does that mean she is actually considered innovative?
ok, my two cents here..
i dont find Kawakubo 'innovative' as much as i find her 'experimental'
in my book, Chanel was innovative, Christian Dior, Christobal Balenciaga, Mary Quant and Biba were innovative, since their vision actually changed the way people dress down the street..

experimental designers seem more interested in making something new than in actually adding up new shapes people can actually live in..

i'm certainly not downsizing Rei's contribution to fashion esthetics, to me shes a revolutionary in experimenting with forms but she doesnt really touch the base customer
of course, maybe in twenty years i'll be eating my words.. but for the time being this is how i see this issue

Last edited by Lena; 10-10-2005 at 11:19 AM.

10-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
maybe travolta...
but it is also healthy to have a point of view......

nothing wrong with asking the questions...
i hope you find your answers...

how is a conviction to learn not a point of view? it's much more rational than have an unshakable belief in things you don't fully understand.

10-10-2005
arndom

How about Rei's "black", Lena:-P?

10-10-2005
trendsetter

Rei is amazing! I personally love the crowns. The clothes look a bit rocker but I still like them.

10-10-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqth
How about Rei's "black", Lena:-P?
what do you mean by Rei's black??
women were wearing black before Rei no?
i dont understand the question ngth
and dont get me wrong, i'm not dissing her by not regarding her as innovative..
shes far more innovative/influencial in her 'architecture' as in CDG shops/displays or her concepts than her in design..
just my opinion anyway..

10-10-2005
arndom

Yes, I know that black is always in fashion but I think she made it a statement. Kind of a timeless symbol of anti fashion, "intelectual", not beautiful, pretty, ugly, "in" or "old"... It is not innovative in the design point of view, of course, but it is if I think of aesthetics.

I think innovative is not necessarily influental. Miyake, for instance, with his textile treatments or APOC is not seen very often in the street. But one can always use the innovation in smaller scale, so that people can follow. All the undone things we see in the streets today is taken from Kawakubo, Yamamoto....

I think if Chanel is revolutionary in the mean that women can be "free to love". Rei Kawakubo is saying that women can be "free to everything". In a clothes point of view of course:-P

I think she is innovative in the way she treats clothes. She prooved that fashion can be interesting without sewing and cutting, colours and perfection... everything that fashion always has been before.

Last edited by nqth; 10-10-2005 at 05:43 PM.
29-10-2005
tfs star

what the h***??? this is scary. not my cup of tea, sorry.

29-12-2005

the more i look at this, the more i'm convinced this is a critique on both the pervasiveness of London over the modern fashion system, a critique to modern imperialism, and an hommage to the queen of cool britannia herself, vivienne westwood... all at once

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estella Mare
or with vivienne westwood?:p
ha! FIRST thing i thought when seeing this.

11-01-2006
backstage pass

Any idea if any of those pieces work on a guy?

V.I.P.

^the crowns and some of the shorts maybe

12-01-2006
backstage pass

In the 3rd pic on the first post...is that a diagonally cut jacket or has it just been folded in like that? ^^;

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipforbrooklyn
the more i look at this, the more i'm convinced this is a critique on both the pervasiveness of London over the modern fashion system, a critique to modern imperialism, and an hommage to the queen of cool britannia herself, vivienne westwood... all at once
yawn.

12-01-2006
chaos reigns

Hum ... Rei not being street? Lena's got a point ... and Travolta does as well ... I agree about not her being a major force nowadays .. maybe for the connoisseur, but not to the masses ... I wonder if everyone will be wearing lumps in 20 years ...

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqth
Yes, I know that black is always in fashion but I think she made it a statement. Kind of a timeless symbol of anti fashion, "intelectual", not beautiful, pretty, ugly, "in" or "old"... It is not innovative in the design point of view, of course, but it is if I think of aesthetics.

I think innovative is not necessarily influental. Miyake, for instance, with his textile treatments or APOC is not seen very often in the street. But one can always use the innovation in smaller scale, so that people can follow. All the undone things we see in the streets today is taken from Kawakubo, Yamamoto....

I think if Chanel is revolutionary in the mean that women can be "free to love". Rei Kawakubo is saying that women can be "free to everything". In a clothes point of view of course:-P

I think she is innovative in the way she treats clothes. She prooved that fashion can be interesting without sewing and cutting, colours and perfection... everything that fashion always has been before.
absolutely agree with this nqth.......
innovation and influence do not necessarily go hand in hand...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, comme, des, garçons, paris, s or s