How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-01-2006
trendsetter

Just what every girl needs: lumps where they don't exist and in all those tantalizing places! I don't understand the relevance of sampling Westwood apart as an exercise in 80's aesthetics (again). She is definitely hit and miss these days and I for one have unfortunately found the work more and more annoying recently (men and women). Pity.

12-01-2006
trendsetter

^^^ I agree, also unfortunately. The rolling stones thing is the most irritating thing of all...just badly, badly conceived. There is a beauty in this collection, but really purely objectively and not at all practically. I'm looking forward to seeing this in the stores, to gawp at and appreciate.....but not as wearable things. Junya has the reigns for the moment. I'm very interesed to see the menswear show this month - either she's back on track or pretty much off the rails

12-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
yawn.
excuse me for not being an "insider", faust... it was just the input of my two cents...

front crow

As long as COMME triggers so many different opinions and perceptions, then it still the COMME i love.
someone in here said something said something about hit n miss. In my opinion when one is pushing it so much hit n miss is innevitable, perfection is boring(and it doesnt exist )
I find COMME more and more exiting every season, however i must admit seeing the items in the store is very important to form an opinion and to feel the aura.

COMME des GARCONS makes it with ... good or bad is irrelevant.

12-01-2006
arndom

Thank you Softgrey:-)

I think the RS coll. might be a certain extension of the Play "concept":-) Yes, the mouth is nasty, but it is rock is all about, bold, loud, irritating, but it rocks.

It's using just a sign. Not really changing anything in the clothes. It looks really linear this time, since she always dabs several layers at once, changing structures, colors, fabrics, cuts within one concept all the way.

So I'd like to see the clothes up close, nice suprises might hide themself somewhere deep in the threads:-P

Last edited by nqth; 12-01-2006 at 06:18 PM.
12-01-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sayan
As long as COMME triggers so many different opinions and perceptions, then it still the COMME i love.
someone in here said something said something about hit n miss. In my opinion when one is pushing it so much hit n miss is innevitable, perfection is boring(and it doesnt exist )
I find COMME more and more exiting every season, however i must admit seeing the items in the store is very important to form an opinion and to feel the aura.

COMME des GARCONS makes it with ... good or bad is irrelevant.
i agree with this completely...
good post...

johnny...but you liked broken bride and witches, right?...
and what about the whole 'twisted' collection that my circle swtr is from?
and the cdgcdg line is pretty good too...no?
and my tricot shoes from runner...

**rei just seems to do better with fall collections...imo...

13-01-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i agree with this completely...
good post...

johnny...but you liked broken bride and witches, right?...
and what about the whole 'twisted' collection that my circle swtr is from?
and the cdgcdg line is pretty good too...no?
and my tricot shoes from runner...

**rei just seems to do better with fall collections...imo...
Yes softie you're right about all of those things....but broken brides and witches are really theatre collections....difficult to see the "realness" in them....I think they're beautiful, as museum pieces. The twisted collection with the brownbuttons is amazing though - wearable and incredibly clever too. And this is were I disagree with sayan...... we must be able to say whether a collection is good or bad..comme have done their marketing to perfection where they can convince you that the collections are so beyond reproach that good or bad is irrelevant.......we must be able to make a qualitative judgement on the collections.......otherwise we could not prefer one over the other.

having said all of that, when I talk of a hint of a decline, I suppose I am thinking of the men's collections more than women's.........the rolling stones, the black nylon, the pink panther, the plain white and black suits with stitch detailing.....these collections did not "excite" as much as some older ones (although the recent frilly jackets collection I did like).

And yes nqth I absolutely agree that there will be interest in the fabrics used in the lips collection........there is always something in the collections that will redeem it, and it's usually the fabrics

13-01-2006
front crow

Hey johny,

If I may keep discussing, I think good and bad is a matter of objectivness, and i dont see how one can be objective. Isn't seeing though ones own perspective the definition of subjective?
Maybe when a designer plays in a known field, more commercial, more understandable, then we can judge the proportions, or the colors combinations, or the styling maybe. But even then it all comes back to
"I like it" or "I don't like it", rather than "good or bad"
And imo, that applies even more to forward thinking companies like COMME.

13-01-2006
arndom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny

And this is were I disagree with sayan...... we must be able to say whether a collection is good or bad..comme have done their marketing to perfection where they can convince you that the collections are so beyond reproach that good or bad is irrelevant.......we must be able to make a qualitative judgement on the collections.......otherwise we could not prefer one over the other.
I usually think if it is "the Emperor's new clothes":-P Rei Kawakubo says that she is making clothes but at the same times she says her clothes are not "clothes" at all:-))

I agree that the Comme colls are usually seen as "how far she can go". When she makes "bad tastes" it is really worst tastes:-P. It happens to H+ quite oftens. Some of the collections of the past were called even "clownish". I'd not wear them, but it is a nice concept, and super cut clothes, ofcourse:-)

Does it make sense when one cuts the suits to perfection, and then dabs some dirty nasty prints on it?:-P As when one uses the best wool but then makes it looks like a beggar's clothes.

Last edited by nqth; 13-01-2006 at 06:50 AM.
13-01-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sayan
Hey johny,

If I may keep discussing, I think good and bad is a matter of objectivness, and i dont see how one can be objective. Isn't seeing though ones own perspective the definition of subjective?
Maybe when a designer plays in a known field, more commercial, more understandable, then we can judge the proportions, or the colors combinations, or the styling maybe. But even then it all comes back to
"I like it" or "I don't like it", rather than "good or bad"
And imo, that applies even more to forward thinking companies like COMME.
I agree with (almost) all that you say here sayan, but if you restrict good or bad to absolute objectivity, then it's very difficult to see how those terms really have any meaning. I think good and bad do stray into the "like it" or "don't like it" territory. I suppose my point is that we can't just say "i like it" because it's a comme collection.........although I suspect you agree with that. Just because she plougher her own furrow doesn't always make the end result a success.

13-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipforbrooklyn
excuse me for not being an "insider", faust... it was just the input of my two cents...
you are excused. in turn i apologize for not elaborating on my terse remark, but you can read Bidwell's and Johnny's posts for that.

13-01-2006
front row

I agree that s/s 06 isn't the best Comme ever, but one can't always hit the jackpot. Unlike some others I found the broken brides and witches collection surprisingly wearable, especially the jackets. And a few years back (s/s2004?) there were only skirts and silly turbans on the show, as someone already pointed out, but the stuff in the stores was incredible. It might be case with this collection as well...hope so.

Last edited by tuomas; 13-01-2006 at 09:19 AM.
13-01-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
Yes softie you're right about all of those things....but broken brides and witches are really theatre collections....difficult to see the "realness" in them....I think they're beautiful, as museum pieces. The twisted collection with the brownbuttons is amazing though - wearable and incredibly clever too. And this is were I disagree with sayan...... we must be able to say whether a collection is good or bad..comme have done their marketing to perfection where they can convince you that the collections are so beyond reproach that good or bad is irrelevant.......we must be able to make a qualitative judgement on the collections.......otherwise we could not prefer one over the other.

having said all of that, when I talk of a hint of a decline, I suppose I am thinking of the men's collections more than women's.........the rolling stones, the black nylon, the pink panther, the plain white and black suits with stitch detailing.....these collections did not "excite" as much as some older ones (although the recent frilly jackets collection I did like).

And yes nqth I absolutely agree that there will be interest in the fabrics used in the lips collection........there is always something in the collections that will redeem it, and it's usually the fabrics
first off...
i have to say that the comme customer is probably not afraid of a little drama or a bit of theatre...

having said that...
from what i can tell...
as 'costume-y' as the witches and broken bride collections were...
both sold incredibly well at retail...and with HUGE pricetags...
if you appeal to the right customer and touch the right nerve...at the right moment in time...
it is rather amazing what people will buy and wear...
and it was a good evolution from one to the other...

*i have to agree with you on the menswear though...
as entertaining as the pink panther collection was and as beautiful as those pieces looked in store...the colours and prints were a bit hard to wear...
though i like the lips collection...
it appeals to the pop art aficionada in me...
reminds me of steven sprouse...who i used to just adore......
and it's funny...which doesn't hurt...
i like the shapes of the suits and the skinny lapels on the jkts...
i dont' know...
they are sexy and rock n roll to me...:p

i could see purechris rocking any of that stuff...

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

having just watched footage of her past collections since the early 80's i can say that she's had a tremendous influence on many designers. her early stuff is still innovative and wearable and scarily contemporary. many pieces are very early hussein chalayan. maybe we have to wait another 25 years to critique this collection.

Last edited by travolta; 22-01-2006 at 06:46 PM.
22-01-2006
arndom

Travolta don't just write, please post pictures, *a lot of pictures*:-)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, comme, des, garçons, paris, s or s