How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
^^^ what a load of crap! I despise the sentiments of that song.....'make thee mightier yet'....
. Agreed.

05-10-2005
rising star

The theme is so far from my taste that I can't even focus on dresses and speak about them

I'm definitely not into it, even if the crown-shaped jacket is kinda funny indeed!

Comin' to Italy and looking for D'n'B gigs? Check out the Italian Drum & Bass forum!
05-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

hmmm...
methinks the crowns are the best part......

*the poor sales staff is going to be mighty lonely come spring...
hope cdgcdg has some stuff that one might be able to actually wear on the street...

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

Some of it is nice, but like Softie said, would be very hard to wear...

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

hm.. i guess pictures can only say so much.. esp. the few that were posted without the full presentation, music etc. it really is just speculation, and with comme des garcons it's always seven layers deep.

anyways, after seeing that full presenation and reading what has been said...it's nice to know that all this punk/ youthful energy isn't so much about bristling at the state of the world, although it addresses that still with the crowns and references to westwood, native tartans etc.., but it actually has some uplifting, encouraging things to say.

i really like the wrapping... as helena was saying that it is basically the most straight forward method of dress, no frills, no pleats etc... draped and dictated by the wearer. i think it does seem a lot like the lumpy collection ngth posted, the lumps alluding to a knapsack for carrying belongings on your back. i guess if i were to strip it down to what her main message is: wear whatever you need to wear, irregular looking, a bit unpolished whatever and feel good about it...the authority of anything else, the high echelon taste, is overruled by the individual. yep, overall very unbourgeois, a little bit punk without the alienation.

Last edited by travolta; 05-10-2005 at 09:53 AM.
05-10-2005
I don't know

I don't like all the heartshaped-looking pieces in this collection

05-10-2005
trendsetter

[QUOTE=travolta] i guess if i were to strip it down to what her main message is: wear whatever you need to wear, irregular looking, a bit unpolished whatever and feel good about it. [QUOTE]

I like that thought (although I myself can't really think of what her main message might be in all of this....in fact I think it's slightly confused, but there's nothing wrong with that).

I really don't know if many of these runway pieces ever sell. I've never seen anyone buying a mainline comme piece from Paris or London. It's all shirt line, Junya, menswear. But as always, there will be little sinmple pieces based on this stuff that will sell. No one could really wear this stuff, as it is presented, in some of the more extreme forms.... but it remains beautiful to look at, to me, and that can't be bad.

05-10-2005
front row

Quote:
(…) For Ms. Kawakubo, England's lost empire - expressed in Union Jack knits, tartans and makeshift crowns (wired by the milliner Stephen Jones from bits of old jewelry and auto parts) - was the nominal theme. Her real achievement was to make dresses and jackets from single lengths of tartan, camouflage and Polynesian flower prints, often combining them in one outfit, and using her hands to drape and mold the fabric into imposingly regal shoulders.

"God knows how we're going to produce the clothes," said Adrian Joffe, the designer's husband, adding that Ms. Kawakubo thought her last collection was too pretty (…) Cathy Horyn
from www.nytimes.com

Very much in the tradition of CdG: much more an experiment in technique with striking visual effect than a clear theme… I like your explanation Travolta & interesting info about the history of Tartan Helena….I do however get a strong 'iconoclast' vibe from this – especially in the juxtaposing of prints & in the light of recent CdG collections…

05-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Her real achievement was to make dresses and jackets from single lengths of tartan, camouflage and Polynesian flower prints, often combining them in one outfit, and using her hands to drape and mold the fabric into imposingly regal shoulders.
thanks nr9...
nqth ws pretty close...he said it was about the 'twist'...

once again the theme proves to be simple and more about the craft and the designer than all that other intellectualization...

there is a great line from a song...
'a writer writes for himself, not for you'...
i think this is very often true with creative types...
they do this to satisfy some need within themselves...
and if it speaks to other people...then great...
but mostly they do it for themselves...

lucky them...
lucky me...

05-10-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr9dream
from www.nytimes.com

Very much in the tradition of CdG: much more an experiment in technique with striking visual effect than a clear theme… I like your explanation Travolta & interesting info about the history of Tartan Helena….I do however get a strong 'iconoclast' vibe from this – especially in the juxtaposing of prints & in the light of recent CdG collections…
Interesting. I agree about the technique thing, although she's used the same technique before (in a recent S/S collection). I like how she moved away from the last collection when it was one of her most critically lauded for ages - she got some kind of 8 minute standing ovation afte the Broken Bride thing. Ultimately I think what people find appealling about CdG is this kind of attitude - it seems so obvious, even commonplace (to be "iconoclastic" or to not rest on one's laurels) but who else does it with such vigour and utter commitment?

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

her brand is founded on the idea of being an iconoclast...she just has to keep true to her brand image!! smart woman, she's turned fashion's biggest weakness into her golden egg.

05-10-2005
Swim Upstream

^^^ adrian joffe said that RK thought her last collection was 'too pretty'. She rebels against herself.

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
thanks nr9...
nqth ws pretty close...he said it was about the 'twist'...

once again the theme proves to be simple and more about the craft and the designer than all that other intellectualization...

there is a great line from a song...
'a writer writes for himself, not for you'...
i think this is very often true with creative types...
they do this to satisfy some need within themselves...
and if it speaks to other people...then great...
but mostly they do it for themselves...

lucky them...
lucky me...
that may be true soft that we'll never know what she is really thinking or if he even matters, but i disagree that it's all about the craft. the runway is meant to be an open ended narrative that is full of symbolism and allows the fashion editors and others to dissect whatever she puts forward. it's performance art meant to be intellectualized.

the craft is necessary in the end to sell, but remember she is always interested in breaking taboos and creating a cultural dialogue. it just so happens she can also make some clothes that sell

05-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i was thinking that myself actually helena...

she did this last spring as well...
after the GORGEOUS witches collection of f/w 04...

it seems to bug her if she's not an outsider...
she'll put a foot in...but then jumps back out...

she's a funny one...:p

ps-i don't think they have to worry to much about producing this colleciton...

05-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
that may be true soft that we'll never know what she is really thinking or if he even matters, but i disagree that it's all about the craft. the runway is meant to be an open ended narrative that is full of symbolism and allows the fashion editors and others to dissect whatever she puts forward. it's performance art meant to be intellectualized.
HOGWASH...!!......
it's nothing of the sort...
that may be what some would like it to be...
but it is in reality a vehicle for showing the clothing to the buyers and editors in order to sell a product....
simple as that...

and a striking presentation is simply good for business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
the craft is necessary in the end to sell, but remember she is always interested in breaking taboos and creating a cultural dialogue. it just so happens she can also make some clothes that sell
of course...
and that is the reason she is still in business after all these years...
because the clothes SELL....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, comme, des, garçons, paris, s or s