How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-05-2005
  31
Naturellement pulpeuse
 
PrinceOfCats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The 'other' bit of the south of France
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry daiquiri
Talent and tolerance aren't a bit subjective?
Assume they're not. You know it makes economic sense.

__________________
-Jamais fille chaste n'a lu de romans
  Reply With Quote
 
05-05-2005
  32
backstage pass
 
jhaime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London.
Gender: homme
Posts: 954
helena..you forgot Lu Lu...

as well as recent acts, such as Texas, and Katie Tunstall...

  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  33
backstage pass
 
jhaime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London.
Gender: homme
Posts: 954
Lets not forget scotland were also responsible for Harnessing Electricity, Inventing the telephone, as well as developing the most widely used drug in the world, Penicillin.

so lets not forget that little bit at the top of the British isles....

Cause we're responsible for a lot, and have probably helped to mould the way the world is today...

u guys owe us big time haha

  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  34
backstage pass
 
fashionyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York / San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 818
Thanks for the article Lena

Interesting that they put U.S.A in the list and justify because of NY. After all NY is the least american city in this country. I mean with all the diversity, immigrants and influences and talents that hail from all around the globe. Better stop now, dont want start a political discussion

  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  35
front row
 
AudiEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Gender: homme
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
you are welcome space but... where is France? or Italy?
strange eh?
I'm surprised with Germany being so low. Sweden I can understand being number one.

__________________
Once I wanted to be...the greatest...
Two fists of solid rock.
...with brains. That could explain. Any feeling.

(The Greatest)


  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  36
I'll bossanova with you
 
minasdecobre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Gender: femme
Posts: 909
Not that I have a part in my country being number one, but I guess I still can be proud about it...

__________________

  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  37
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
The Netherlands is on the list, so I am happy :p
I get why Scotland isn't there and why Belgium is there (what music/dj scene Scott? just curious) But still I kind of miss France there....
Vive La Fête or dEuS for a start. Just take a trip to Antwerpen and see the loads of posters plasterd along the walls and music festivals not just in Antwerp but in Ghent,Brugge,Limburg and Hasselt....you'll see it. And alot of it is quite experimental as well.

  Reply With Quote
05-05-2005
  38
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
Scott, you´re right about Bernhard Willhelm and Dirk Schönberger, I remember an interview in which Bernhard said that he decided to transfer to Antwerp after he saw their graduate fashion show. Back then he already studied fashion for some time. I didn´t know about Dirk though...
Do you remember the name of the school? If I'm not mistaken,it was said he attended the same school as another major German designer? Possibly one of Antwerpen.

  Reply With Quote
06-05-2005
  39
spoilt victorian child
 
droogist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionyork
Interesting that they put U.S.A in the list and justify because of NY. After all NY is the least american city in this country. I mean with all the diversity, immigrants and influences and talents that hail from all around the globe. Better stop now, dont want start a political discussion
Well, it depends on how you look at it; you could also argue that those qualities make NYC the most American city in the country.

  Reply With Quote
06-05-2005
  40
Unveil Yourself....
 
Mr-Dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: homme
Posts: 15,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaime
Lets not forget scotland were also responsible for Harnessing Electricity, Inventing the telephone, as well as developing the most widely used drug in the world, Penicillin.

so lets not forget that little bit at the top of the British isles....

Cause we're responsible for a lot, and have probably helped to mould the way the world is today...

u guys owe us big time haha
I kind of think that this whole list is made up for the status of the country these day or past 50 years or something. And I think that the things you mention aren't really recent.

And about Belgian music: same here in Holland, there's festivals like every week, we have the world's best DJ, according to many many specialists and some magazine (DJ Tiësto) The only difference is that I have never heard of stuff like that in Belgium, but ofcourse, you probably haven't heard of the stuff in Holland aswell so....

__________________
Beauty is the climactic apotheosis of flowing elegance...

twitter.com/ErikP87
  Reply With Quote
06-05-2005
  41
etre soi-meme
 
Lena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 23,965
Holland is hot, their fashion academy is real cool-a friend designer Angelo Bratis graduated from there and it shows... i'll keep my eyes on Amsterdam Fashion Week

  Reply With Quote
06-05-2005
  42
V.I.P.
 
faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
Well, it depends on how you look at it; you could also argue that those qualities make NYC the most American city in the country.
I have to drink a lot to get that to that view angle . I still want to vote for making NYC a separate country.

US probably ranks so high because of science and technology (of course most of our Nobel prize winners have Chinese last names, but hold American passports :p ), not because of music and fashion (although let's remember that for most people, Marc Jacobs is a very talented designer).

Thanks for the article, Lena. I'm with others, most definitely would love to see the mechanics of calculating the index.


Last edited by faust; 06-05-2005 at 12:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
06-05-2005
  43
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
I kind of think that this whole list is made up for the status of the country these day or past 50 years or something. And I think that the things you mention aren't really recent.

And about Belgian music: same here in Holland, there's festivals like every week, we have the world's best DJ, according to many many specialists and some magazine (DJ Tiësto) The only difference is that I have never heard of stuff like that in Belgium, but ofcourse, you probably haven't heard of the stuff in Holland aswell so....
Did you know Antwerp is where Alison Goldfrapp actually learnt to use technology in music? And now you hear all these innovative sounds coming from them...which might explain a helluva alot.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creativity, region
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.