How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

Creatures of the Wind F/W 12.13 New York

style.com

09-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

style.com

09-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

style.com

09-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

style.com

09-02-2012
V.I.P.

Some of this is really sweet - fun, playful collection.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
10-02-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

^I agree, It's a nice breath of fresh air. There seems to be quite a few nice individual pieces.
I love the styling, some of it is a bit over the top and would normally be too distracthing for me, but somehow this works. I might not want to wear it like that, but I am inspired. Anybody know who might have styled this?

I really love the look with the grey pants/skirt as and the one with the full gold midi skirt in post #4. And the checked and striped pattern mixing in post #3

10-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

The gold skirt look was a standout for me as well...
I much preferred the simpler looks to the pattern mixing

10-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

I didn't see anything about who did the styling... but here's the review from style.com

Quote:
NEW YORK, February 9, 2012

By Nicole Phelps

Shane Gabier and Chris Peters picked up a runner-up prize from the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund last November. The Chicago-based duo is no doubt getting advice from all sides now on how to turn their tiny label into a thriving bigger business. In a preview of their Fall collection they pointed to new pieces with more-accessible-than-usual price tags, like stripey mohair sweaters, silk slipdresses made in collaboration with Araks Yeramyan, and an A-line popover top in clashing prints (which, admittedly, was paired with a skirt made of expensive French brocade). But standing in the crowd today in the refectory of the Desmond Tutu Center in Chelsea (a stunning room), it was clear that they aren't compromising an inch on their unique, offbeat vision.

The collection, they explained, was inspired by The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies, a seventeenth-century book by the Scottish Episcopalian minister Robert Kirk in which he collected his parishioners' tales of the supernatural. If there wasn't anything otherworldly, per se, about the clothes, there was certainly something dreamy about their construction. Cases in point: a white button-down blouse embroidered by Hand & Lock (Alexander McQueen's embroiderers, it turns out) with a quote from the adolescent fantasy classic The Last Unicorn. Or a trim blazer constructed from distressed leather and Lurex-shot striped wool with a heat transfer of multicolor Swarovski crystals on its back. Or a lace skirt dipped in silver. The overall feeling was folksy, but with a couture touch.

Perhaps not a recipe for surefire retail success, but Gabier and Peters might have something better: a finale gown made from tiers of pale blue chiffon and taffeta with a silver lace yoke that, should it land on the right starlet come Oscar night, could earn them more renown than that Fashion Fund win.

10-02-2012
fashion icon

too Vivienne Westwood

10-02-2012
V.I.P.

not worthy of the hype. the red/black and white/black knits look very similar to a dior sweater that was on the cover of umpteen magazines a few years ago.

it just looks as if they are piling multiple types of cuts into one garment.

Stitch:the Hand

i don't agree with the westwood comparison. this is a bit more structure than her play on volumes. to me their work is more in that spirit of antoni & alison,alexandre herchovitch,jessica ogden mixed with a bit of bernhard.

10-02-2012
backstage pass

I love it. While I think the "one to watch" category is still really applicable to the brand, I think the last few seasons have been really strong. And this just pushed the couple into a new territory. I love the read and black swing dress and that cape like coat ordeal in orange/red/pink/fuschia. And the shoes! OMG so great!!! The last dress is getting a ton of well deserved media attention. And while I agree with Eric Wilson's review (spare me all the intellectual story telling BS and let the clothing speak for itself) I think he may have been a little too harsh.

Here is some more on the last dress from the Times:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...of-the-wind-2/

10-02-2012
Geometric Discharge

There aren't an abundance of desirable seperates but the leatherwork is just epic - that black and red striped dress and that pink coat with the cap sleeves are both excellent.

11-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i don't agree with the westwood comparison.
Completely agree this is a more harder/structural work with clean lines and somewhat brighter colour palette.

There are great separate pieces in this collection. The styling of the collection is brilliant.

11-02-2012
clever ain't wise

I see Ghesquiťre mixed with Marc Jacobs. There's a lot of talent here, but perhaps it would be better to keep it a tad simpler.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, creatures, f or w, wind, york