How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2003
etre soi-meme

something more.

investors instead of investing in old labels should take attention to new designers.
it obviously involves risks and this is a 'short time investment' but its the only way fashion can go forward 'developing' and profitable. This could bring a fresh take on what is cool today, we need more money invested to young talent. There are so many brilliant designers out there who do not have the means to compete with super labels and their creativity gets unoticed from lack of financial support.

21-12-2003
Mannikin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Dec 21st, 2003 - 4:37 am
as Nicolas G. work is so NOT in the spirit of the house of Balenciaga.
Just IMO, Nicolas Ghesquiere’s huge popularity in the fashion world is due to his ability to innovate while still respecting the tradition of his label’s namesake, Cristobal Balenciaga.

Proof of this can be seen in his recent collections. Like the A line coats and the stiffness of the 1960's Balenciaga was all seen at the Fall 2003 show. And the heavy, architectual clothes Cristobal was known for was seen at the Spring 2004 show.

21-12-2003
etre soi-meme

OT

i disagree igni, i just cant see the Balenciaga connection in his work.
Elbaz, Sibylla, Matrin Grant, Ralf Rucci are far more into the Balenciaga mood than Nicolas G.
As for the reasons that made him famous i suspect them to be: his drop dead good looks and an amazing circle of hype. His soft 'fallen angels' debut collections with dripping tulles and lace i'm sure they gave Christobal's poor soul the creeps, so NOT in the austere mood of the house

21-12-2003
Mannikin

Now I really think the houses should die with the designers.

Lena you have a point there. Since Nicolas G. is not Cristobal he cannot maintain all the aspects of the house. Like sure he has the architectual and stiffness of Balenciaga and makes it right for today but he doesn't maintain the austere-ness of the house. If the designer can't maintain everything he better be off on his own.

21-12-2003
Stitch:the Hand

Sorry of topic:

Did anyone think Nicolas' earlier collections(first three seasons,that is)were far better than of late? I think those collections were far more in tune with fluidity an structure that made Cristobal famous.

Fall 98:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00045.L.JPG (23.8 KB, 3 views)

21-12-2003

Spring 99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00022.L.JPG (84.7 KB, 3 views)

21-12-2003

Fall 99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00013.L.JPG (53.7 KB, 3 views)

22-12-2003
V.I.P.

being of scubject: btu id o leik nicholas's work, despite the massive hype, it think Balenciaga was creating a modern constructed but still romantic clothing, and I think Nicholas is doing the same, I certinly dount think he is any wear near balenciaga, btu i think he is respecting the spirit ut still doing his won thing, wich if you must put a desigenr at an odl hosue, wich as is aid befor i despise, than this si teh ebst you can ask for IMO.

rising star

givenchy and billblass are two prime examples of how fashion is always evolving..
u have audrey hepburn..the quittessential fashion icon of elegance ..givenchy made her style a eternal fashion standard. today u see so much emulation for his clothes then..but not now.. b/c givenchy is not there himself to design them.. i think the label should develop a revival campaign bringing back the hepburn/givenchy era... as for bill blass...i pity that designer who recently got fired... see i don't even know his name! i didnt think his clothes were all that great either.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, designer