How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-12-2003
fashion insider

PrinceOfCats
Quote:
Klein...I always thought his talent was advertising not clothes anyway.

Tom Ford wasn't forced out of the Gucci/YSL group he chose to leave because they wouldn't meet his conditions.

McCartney is not an established designer and never has been among the top designers.
Atelier
Quote:
This article is unfocused and poorly researched

Stylists?" I thought this was about designers

Tom Ford at YSL ...That was about corporate control.
I agree!
And when he said that about Versace giving up show, i almost closed the page. this journalist is full of crap! And I don't know who this guy is and what his thing is with Stella but she was never "up there" and she isn't good enough to be (IMO)! He does lead everyone on to believe designer labels are in shambles. I just think that ppl are now changing and understanding that wearing a designer name is about the designer's tastes, styles and individuality. Let your clothing be an expression of you and what you like. For a while it's been about wearing the most popular name and how much you spent for it! Maybe now they will go back to saying 'i wore this dress because it screams "whatever their name is"' and not b/c it screams Versace or Gucci! ya know?

17-12-2003
etre soi-meme

even though the journalist is not real accurate with his arguments, i believe he's touching a very real new 'trend' in the lux market.. Labels are not what they used to be, designer wear is certainly been losing its 'touch' hence the 'life savers' aka celebrities to advertise looks. Pesonally i think the 'celebrity' bug is rapidly losing its touch
Regarding popularity of lux labels, women are fed up ending up wearing the same looks 'en masse' they long for discovering new designers, securing 'unique' looks, avoiding the mass image of designer labels, emerge with 'personal style'.
The new 'must' is to discover the undiscovered designer and show that you snob big labels (its actually happening right now in europe).
I bet we all understand how humiliating must be wearing the same uber expensive design bag or shoes or blouse in any social gathering, that alone makes label uniformity the thing not to do.

*Regarding Stella -who does not impress me at all- it was only yesterday that people were swearing by the Chloč label. Even if we might not agree, Stella is considered an international name and she used to be ultra trendy during her Chloč days, she made the Style top ten designers more than once and her work has been widely covered by Press etc.
*Versace does have big money problems, check out 'minimazed' advertising budgets and actually skipped HC shows, its a fact.
*The title 'stylist' is much more appropriate for this kind of 'designers' that actually do not design anything at all. Most lux designers work with design 'assistant' teams that do... all the work for them. "Designers' just edit from their design team's ideas and mix the collection together. As a fact too.

17-12-2003
Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Dec 17th, 2003 - 9:07 am
*Versace does have big money problems, check out 'minimazed' advertising budgets and actually skipped HC shows, its a fact.
After smaller presentations, today's Women's Wear Daily reports that Atelier Versace's full HC runway show is back. The girls will take to the catwalk on January 19.

Lena, didn't Donatella stage down-sized presentations but not actually skip HC Week?

17-12-2003
etre soi-meme

true, she did not skip the HCweek, just the shows
have you noticed fewer Versace advertising on magazines?
that says a lot, actually there were 'official' Versace statements regarding advertising downsizing..

17-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

If advertising is a good indicator then YSL, Dior and Gaultier are selling well! I've seen that flippin' Gaultier Classique advert at least twenty times this week...

Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Dec 17th, 2003 - 9:07 am

even though the journalist is not real accurate with his arguments, i believe he's touching a very real new 'trend' in the lux market.. Labels are not what they used to be, designer wear is certainly been losing its 'touch' hence the 'life savers' aka celebrities to advertise looks. Pesonally i think the 'celebrity' bug is rapidly losing its touch
Regarding popularity of lux labels, women are fed up ending up wearing the same looks 'en masse' they long for discovering new designers, securing 'unique' looks, avoiding the mass image of designer labels, emerge with 'personal style'.
The new 'must' is to discover the undiscovered designer and show that you snob big labels (its actually happening right now in europe).
I bet we all understand how humiliating must be wearing the same uber expensive design bag or shoes or blouse in any social gathering, that alone makes label uniformity the thing not to do.

*Regarding Stella -who does not impress me at all- it was only yesterday that people were swearing by the Chloč label. Even if we might not agree, Stella is considered an international name and she used to be ultra trendy during her Chloč days, she made the Style top ten designers more than once and her work has been widely covered by Press etc.
*The title 'stylist' is much more appropriate for this kind of 'designers' that actually do not design anything at all. Most lux designers work with design 'assistant' teams that do... all the work for them. "Designers' just edit from their design team's ideas and mix the collection together. As a fact too.
I certainly hope that celeb fashion will become a lost cause. But unfortunately,I just don't see it going away AT ALL here in the U.S. People are still 'too' stuck on them.

As far as the term stylists go,it is indeed referred to designers or creative directors that tends not to really work on them,like you say Lena,relying mostly on their staff. Another being ones that mainly design from existing forms and shilouettes and not really change them that much.

18-12-2003
fashion insider

In all actuality women have always wanted to wear something different and unique. They have always wanted a style all their own. Following celebrities was a trend and now i think they are going back to being their own stylist and trendsetter. I mean really! Who are the ppl walking around saying "This is the dress Natalie Portman had on?" I find it sad. I can see admiration, but copying? In the real world, men do that, and even some of them are stepping out now. But what i am saying is that individuality is REALLY coming back and I'm so glad. Even designers are getting thier models back.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSweetest@Dec 18th, 2003 - 4:31 pm
what i am saying is that individuality is REALLY coming back and I'm so glad.
so am I sweetest

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designer, fashion, labels