How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-12-2005
V.I.P.

I think Diesel tries too hard to be wierd, edgy or whatever. Sometimes it's like "how can they not know that is hideous?". I used to have a pair of those shoes with the turned up nose that EVERYONE had, I got them in like 03 I think, the next week my best friends all had them, the next month all of planet earth had them. They were sooo comfy though. I dont really own any Diesel, I dont give it the time of day, the store in Georgetown is full of Yuppies who are now enlightened by Urban Outfitters...

Diesel makes some hot watches though.

15-12-2005
windowshopping

sleazie ninja described it pretty well.

I think you can always find one nice shirt, one nice sweater and a nice jacket in every collection but most of it is pretty bland. And it usually SCREAMS the brand, something I hate. But some people like to have Diesel written in big letters on t-shirts. Personnal choice I guess. And most of the posters here are right on with the quality, it's disgusting. Kinda overpriced for the quality, and not only in jeans. I have a Stylelab sweater that is amazing looking (tagged 400$, paid 100$) but really isn't worth anything more than a 100$, quality wise. As for jeans, like others have said, there is so much choice on the market that you can probably find better quality.
Maybe that sounded a bit pessimist, I still like some of their items (only on sale).

15-12-2005
windowshopping

Diesel Made In Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_boi_01
(I did a search but couldn't find any dedicated threads about the brand, but then agian, I didn't get far, my PC keeps freezing up on me so sorry if it's already been discussed)

www.diesel.com

What do you all think of it? Good? Bad?

I personally love it, and the prices are awesome, considering it's Italian made. I have a winter toque (gift from my grandma), and the Plus Plus cologne, and I'm getting a pair of Zathan 772s pretty soon. Tees retail for $40-$50, button up shirts for about $70, and leather jackets for about $400. Jeans go anywhere from $170-$300 depending on the style. For a 15 year old kid who's tired of shopping at the gap, and then later finding that at least 5 or 6 people have the same shirt as you, Diesel is a much better option, and it's not sweatshop!
I am pretty sure only the jeans are made in Italy now and the reset of the stuff is probably not anymore.

When Diesel first appeared on the scene it was only jeans and then clothing which were all made in Italy. Now, I'd check to be sure.

15-12-2005
fashion insider

Last pair of Diesel jeans at a Diesel store were made in Colombia...

and Diesel is crap, I don't even think of it as fashion..

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyearlater
I think you can always find one nice shirt, one nice sweater and a nice jacket in every collection but most of it is pretty bland. And it usually SCREAMS the brand, something I hate. But some people like to have Diesel written in big letters on t-shirts. Personnal choice I guess. And most of the posters here are right on with the quality, it's disgusting. Kinda overpriced for the quality, and not only in jeans. I have a Stylelab sweater that is amazing looking (tagged 400$, paid 100$) but really isn't worth anything more than a 100$, quality wise. As for jeans, like others have said, there is so much choice on the market that you can probably find better quality.
Maybe that sounded a bit pessimist, I still like some of their items (only on sale).
I believe style lab was discontinued or is going to be discontinued. Can I get any confirmations on that? I thought it was cool when they changed their logo to SLAB, as "SLAB" is an awesome word, esp. when used in conjunction with "Meat"

The last time I went into a Diesel was about a month ago in San Francisco, and of the 4 floors of stuff I saw (mens, womens, 55, etc...) I saw one article of clothing that I would think of buying, a black tuxedo-ish blazer, which was made of very cheap material and was only selling for 180 dollars. I didnt pull the trigger even though the jacket looked pretty rockin' on me, probably because it looked a little on the cheap side and I'm a total snob.

2 cents,

16-12-2005
windowshopping

Diesel is indeed dead. But im not gonna lie i have worked with denim for over two years now, and have never had a pair of Diesel jeans been returned defective. I believe the qaulity of there jeans is by far the highest in the denim game right now. All of there jeans that I have ever sold or seen have been made in Italy, unless it is fashion denim(not a basic jean). But dont getr me wrong, Diesel has to be the most over played brand that I have seen in my lifetime.

16-12-2005
rising star

^ Lol.

Yup Style Lab is dead. Apparently it didn't make as much revenue as thought

16-12-2005
V.I.P.

Style Lab was...terrifying, at least on the runway. Galliano without the technique, or wit.

16-12-2005
backstage pass

as a teenager i used to wear more diesel and miss sixty, now not to much. i still have some very nice things from them.

its also sooooo disgustingly overpriced and not very original.

16-12-2005
front row

I bought Diesel shoes because they were 50% off , they were just too weird and not really comfortable to wear so I returned them.
I love their jeans though and other clothing too but it's just too expensive for me usually.

16-12-2005
rising star

Quote:
I believe the qaulity of there jeans is by far the highest in the denim game right now.
Well, not trying to burst your bubble, but no, I have did surveys with denim experts in the past and although Diesel was agreed as being one of the first to introduce America to designer denim its far from the best.

Dior Homme's raw jeans and Studio D'Artisan are examples of top notch denim.

17-12-2005
backstage pass

oh whatever, once diesel goes through a slump and comes back again everyone that is saying it sucks because everyone has them now will buy em again and think they are trail blazers for 'bringing them back'

dior homme jeans are totally based on slimane's favorite jeans before he added them to his own line -- APC's new standard jean. the only difference is they have that line stitching on the back pocket. i personally think the denim isn't as posh as APC's

i don't even compare studio d'artisan to diesel. diesel is more of a fashion, designer denim to me. SDA is more like a japanese selvage classic, heritage, reproduction brand a long the lines of Sugarcane, Warehouse, Eternal, Samarai etc.

Last edited by sbbbjm; 17-12-2005 at 02:50 AM.
17-12-2005
fashion insider

Why is everyone referring to Diesel as designer? It's just trendy,sporty,over-priced trash. I will be eternally ashamed of myself for having bought a pair of this trashy-styled, colombian-made denim.

For style - trendy, a bit flamboyant at times, trashy

Quality - the terms are not appropriate

Quality denim? Oh please, the only thing that makes people actually think that Diesel is quality denim is that they're being told by the store they're buying it or seeing it at or by Diesel itself, so they convince themselves to believe that it's quality, high fashion denim. That's just label-loyalty because they label want you to be loyal to them.

It's sad..

Look at a pair of APCs and compare it to a pair of Diesels - I have..and I can honestly tell you that Diesel jeans should be sold on the sale rack at American Eagle Outfitters or Express Men.

No thanks - for denim I'll stick to APC, Jil Sander, Yohji Yamamoto, and maybe some older Dior Homme models.

Last edited by Arturo21; 17-12-2005 at 10:57 AM.
17-12-2005
trendsetter

I LOVE Diesel Jeans. I have found the quality to be superb. The only downside is the sizing...as it varies from model to model.

18-12-2005
front row

Diesel is for 14 year olds who want to appear as though they're 20 something but way off the mark. I laugh when I see people wearing miss sixty or diesel jeans tucked into knee high boots thinking their hot **** because they're wearing diesel drainpipes. It's embarassing.

However.... I have to say, I met a few designers who design for Diesel (not so much the actual clothes but the prints that go on their tees) and they are superbly talented. Diesel sometimes do very cool graphics on their tees and that's what I love about them. Although it has gone downhill the past few seasons, I remember last year? or 2 years ago? They did this really cool koi fish oriental type theme and I did buy a top there cause I loved the actual print... but that's about it for me and Diesel!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diesel