How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2005
rising star

Quote:
i don't even compare studio d'artisan to diesel. diesel is more of a fashion, designer denim to me. SDA is more like a japanese selvage classic, heritage, reproduction brand a long the lines of Sugarcane, Warehouse, Eternal, Samarai etc.
Exactly, you see my point in mentioning Studio?

I was trying to show the other person how Diesel pales in comparision to an actual denim company who actually puts care and effort into their products.

18-12-2005
front row

DIESEL is the "it" brand today all around the world, making EXPRESS & even Levi's jeans look like a golfing apparel brands, with their distinctive washes, fresh unique ideas and outstanding quality.

18-12-2005
front row

..these are from Ebay

Last edited by Bershka; 18-12-2005 at 02:54 PM.
18-12-2005
front row

I have to agree with ppl here that their jeans are very good quality.
I bought a pair of Diesel jeans in 2000 and last summer I had to put them away, and I did use those jeans like a lot, my all time favourite jeans.
Same quality goes to their tops (at least t-shirts), their colors stay, and you can wash the shirt over and over again, but their shoes are not good. I bought one pair and they just were not good, friend of mine who works for them says that ppl return shoes a lot, jeans almost never, only if the size is wrong!
I love Diesel!

windowshopping

ok I think some of your are misunderstanding what I said. When I mention the Denim game, what im talking about is Seven, True Religion, Citizens and every other overplayed **** jean that is hot right now. Diesel Denim cannot even compare to any jean at Dior Homme or Studio D'Artisan, they dont even have the same customer. The customer who buys Diesel also buys the other overplayed brands that i mentioned above, and what i was saying was out of all those Diesel quality is the best. And i think that it is agreed that we all need to stop calling Diesel, designer. Just because it has a show at nyc fashion week does not mean it is designer. (lol.. soo does Miss Sixty does that mean Miss Sixty is designer too!! )

18-12-2005
front row

I'm a bit confused...
You're right, there's no such guy as Mr. Diesel but there is a guy who stands behind this brand & his name is Renzo Rosso
(Short Bio)
Born in 1955 in the north-east of Italy, he attended an industrial
textile manufacturing school and after graduating in 1975, began making his
own clothing. in 1978 he joined forces with several other manufactures in his region
to form the genius group, which created many successful brands still widely known
today, such as katherine hamnett, goldie, martin guy, ten big boys and,
of course, diesel.
in 1985 renzo took complete control of diesel by buying out the other partners
and becoming the sole force behind the brand. thereafter the company began a period
of remarkable growth and expansion. it was thus that, in 1996, renzo rosso and
diesel received the "premio risultati" award from the bocconi institute in milan for
being the "best italian company of the year". renzo was also nominated by
american ernst & young as "entrepreneur of the year" for 1997 for the company’s
strong moves in the usa. in december 1997, the english music and trend magazine
'select' included renzo rosso in a special classification of the 100 most important
people in the world who will contribute to the shape of the new millennium

http://www.designboom.com/eng/interview/rosso.html

And so does Miss 60 has its own founder Wichy Hassan...so doesn't it mean he is the lead designer?

Last edited by Bershka; 18-12-2005 at 10:37 PM.
19-12-2005
trendsetter

I like Diesel! I think that the quality is more than good Their jeans is quite expensive (for me of course ) Diesel has great bags too:p

20-12-2005
front row

I think, they used to be much more creative and interesting 4 or 5 years ago,I was trying to buy the things I loved in every season,but now I've lost my appetite for Diesel.It happened maybe we have other better choices in the market, they are not superb anymore or we got used to their style. Actually,I do think they are overpriced for what they are selling.They need to do something different,however I still do like their jeans.

20-12-2005
tfs star

i like some of the diesel stuff. i have few shirts, pair of jeans from them and a pair of shoes.
i think the diesel style lab stuff is much more better though, and better quality than just normal diesel. i wanna try the new tapered jeans from diesel, but i hate the fact that too many people will wear them...

21-12-2005
Push it to pop it!

It is a little hard to argue abut the quality of this denim when there are people here with dior saying that diesel is not worth looking at. IMO the quality is just fine for the price.

21-12-2005
tfs star

i dont think you can really compare diesel and dior. the clientele is quite different. i dont think the kids who mainly wear diesel could pay something like 500 dollars for dior jeans.

26-12-2005
etre soi-meme

For the Diesel fanclub out there, boss Renzo Rosso, has a new book out next month

the cover..

Quote:
Those looking for insight into Diesel and what makes its chief executive officer, Renzo Rosso, tick will find it in "Fifty," his new coffee table book.

Rosso stressed that he never intended the book — marking his 50th birthday this year — to be a self-celebration. Rosso views it as a collection of the different parts that make up the Diesel world, including family and friends, his wine, his Pelican hotel in Miami Beach, his soccer team, his private plane and his 1929 boat, Lady May.

"The book is about my lifestyle, but also about creativity," said Rosso, who released a similar book 10 years earlier, titled "Forty," naturally. "It's a history of Diesel, of what we are doing now and a glimpse into the future, but all is filtered through my own memories, hopes and dreams."

The 200-plus-page book covers Diesel's most outstanding advertising campaigns, shows a range of different product offerings, questions the meaning of success and includes contributions by Vogue Italia's Franca Sozzani, Interview's Ingrid Sichy, Vivienne Westwood, Martin Margiela, DSquared's Dean and Dan Caten, Sir Paul Smith and Vogue France's Carine Roitfeld, among others.

"These are friends who are really close to me," said Rosso.

There are also "face-to-face conversations" with the Dalai Lama and Bono, i-D magazine founding editor Terry Jones and Kevin Roberts, worldwide ceo of Saatchi & Saatchi.

Written with British journalist and writer Mark Tungate, Rosso worked on the book for a year, translating it into Italian twice.

"I stressed about every single word, always looking for the best, most appropriate one," he said, praising Tungate as a writer who "perfectly reflects my own thoughts."

The book will be available at selected bookstores in the U.S. and Japan next month, retailing at $150. It will be introduced in Europe and on Diesel's Web site at the end of the month. Diesel plans to publish around 8,000 copies. Enclosed with the book is a DVD with coverage of fashion shows and a selection of Diesel's visual work.
from wwd

26-12-2005
rising star

I like Diesel, but I hate most of the generic items. I personally have a problem spending money on something that I'm going to see other people wear. The Diesel Denim Gallery in NYC as well as Relic in Boston (formerly the Diesel store owned by Riccardi) carry exclusive washes and cuts. Some DDG's are at or above Dior Homme price levels, but the chances of me encountering one of the 200 other people with them are quite slim. Aside from the "rare" jeans, Diesel has exceptionally reasonable prices making it difficult to turn down a tee shirt here and there.

26-12-2005
rising star

I love their jeans, but the other things.... I dunno I see too many people wearing it, I don't lke it.

26-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amo_Armani
I like Diesel, but I hate most of the generic items. I personally have a problem spending money on something that I'm going to see other people wear. The Diesel Denim Gallery in NYC as well as Relic in Boston (formerly the Diesel store owned by Riccardi) carry exclusive washes and cuts. Some DDG's are at or above Dior Homme price levels, but the chances of me encountering one of the 200 other people with them are quite slim. Aside from the "rare" jeans, Diesel has exceptionally reasonable prices making it difficult to turn down a tee shirt here and there.
I completely agree. There's no doubt the more mainstream line attracts the younger crowd but the more exclusive pieces are for the more "fashionable". I can see why some people dislike the brand but it's really about personal taste. I happen to love some of Diesel's ads as well

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diesel