How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-12-2004
scenester

Does anyone like the clothing brand Gant?
I'm a preppy girl and proud of it and was wondering if anyone else on here like's the brand Gant? I only recently discovered this brand while shopping in NYC several years ago- its very Northeastern/Boston preppy. If you are a prepster and haven't seen their clothes check out their website. They also have a fabulous catalogue (lots of pictures... no prices though )

14-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

do you have a link to the website so we can check it out?...
thx...

14-12-2004
rising star

If memory serves me correctly, aren't they a mall chain store? I can't remember anything remarkable about the store or their selection. Conservative pieces for people who don't like making decisions about style...

14-12-2004
tfs star

gant
they have retail stores. its an out-door-sy preppy sportwear look.

its a label thats been around a long time.

imo some of their stuff is overpriced. but the aesthetic is good. think a higher quality, more euro-centric Tommy.

think a french/continental version of J Crew that costs twice as much.

anyway imo just save your money & buy hermes or polo [purple/black label only].

15-12-2004
paint it black

Here's the website
http://www.gant.com
not my cup of tea

09-03-2005
front row

Gant! Very popular in Europe amongst the over 50ies who want to look young and sporty. It is indeed similar to TH. It is boooring and safe. I put Gant, TH and PoloRalph Lauren in the same styling basket. Young grandads wear these makes.

09-03-2005
V.I.P.

No (to the original poster).

09-03-2005
V.I.P.

I agree with others about being like TH/J.Crew. It's okay.

09-03-2005
backstage pass

I agree with faust. I remember it from my own prep school days, back in the Early Neolithic Period.

09-03-2005
doing it

I remember seeing Gant in department stores oh I'd say back in the early eighties. I dont have much else to say.

09-03-2005
Wanderlust

I remember it, but I didn't like it. Preferred Ralph Lauren.

09-03-2005
fashion elite

I don't think it's even that good at what it does.

04-09-2009
front row

Gant have improved very much this season, they have hired Brian Rennie http://www.brieftaube.at/pdf/brianrennie.pdf to give the label a boost..

http://www.gantger.de/

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccigirl1121 View Post
I'm a preppy girl and proud of it and was wondering if anyone else on here like's the brand Gant? I only recently discovered this brand while shopping in NYC several years ago- its very Northeastern/Boston preppy. If you are a prepster and haven't seen their clothes check out their website. They also have a fabulous catalogue (lots of pictures... no prices though )
yes, i say, "when in rome..."

and for all of the fashion-heads out there, michael bastian's doing a collection with them soon....

Quote:
http://my-affair-with-michael-bastia...ar.com/3563126 Thu, 07/23/2009 - 7:29am by Michaelrcks
2 Comments - 62 Views

MICHAEL BASTIAN TO DESIGN CAPSULE COLLECTION FOR GANT
GANT announces today that Michael Bastian, the menswear designer who has lead the return to a new era of all-American style, will design a Fall 2010 men’s capsule collection for GANT, the originator of American sportswear since 1949. This exciting collaboration will be unveiled this winter in New York and other key international markets.

Michael Bastian commented, “I see my version of the GANT guy as the younger brother to the MICHAEL BASTIAN guy. He’s tailored, a bit sporty, and a little more athletic, with a modern edge that feels both approachable and sophisticated. Working with GANT will allow me to reach a larger audience, and together we will provide a modern and workable proposal for the perfect American guy’s wardrobe.”

The 50 piece collection will stand on its own as a symbol of American design ingenuity, a colorful and focused collection of wardrobe essentials that provide polished style at more accessible prices.

The line will encapsulate all classifications, including tailored clothing, outerwear, wovens, knits, jersey, pants, denim, and accessories. Inspiration will draw from GANT’s extensive archives and rich authentic history, fused with Mr. Bastian’s trademark modern take on the true essence of American sportswear. Clothing and accessories prices will be approximately 20% more than GANT’s existing labels.

Ari Hoffman, GANT’s US President and CEO stated, “We can think of no other designer that speaks the GANT language as closely as Michael Bastian does. His interpretation of American sportswear is quintessential. As GANT has grown into an international brand with a global focus, Michael Bastian will complete our journey back to the American sensibility of today’s GANT.”
Before launching his namesake brand four years ago, Michael Bastian held positions within Sotheby's, Tiffany & Co., Polo Ralph Lauren, and most recently, Bergdorf Goodman, where he was the men's fashion director. It was this experience that led Bastian to launch his own men's wear line, MICHAEL BASTIAN. Now in its eighth season, MICHAEL BASTIAN is carried in over 50 retail locations in America, Canada, Japan, Europe and the Middle East. Bastian has been nominated twice for the CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year Award, in 2009 and 2008. He was also nominated for the 2007 CFDA Newcomer Menswear Designer of the Year, and was a finalist for the 2007 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award.

GANT is a lifestyle brand, with an American sportswear heritage, offering modern high quality casual wear with a European touch. The company’s values are based on its authentic American East Coast heritage, dating back its inception in New Haven, CT in 1949. Since then the brand has been further developed, taking influence from Europe, and today enjoys a global presence in over 70 countries with more than 500 freestanding stores. GANT will celebrate its 60th anniversary this fall.
and although i have friends who hyperventilate over everything michael bastian touches -- not to mention tim hamilton and robert geller -- i've never quite caught the hysteria caused by his work.

men.style.com

trendsetter

what the hell is that second look, i dont like it!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brand, clothing, gant