How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2012
backstage pass

Apparently WWD shares our sentiments

"Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana chose Sicily as their inspiration, as they have countless times throughout their career. Traditionally, their home turf has been good to them, creatively speaking, but sometimes even the most flush wells run dry.

The collection was the fashion equivalent of a souvenir shop, so stocked with kitschy local clichés that one wondered if it were done in partnership with the Sicilian bureau of tourism. There were two main looks: First, colorful puppet prints, a too-literal depiction of street theater, that were garishly splashed across tunics, skirts and dresses, done in a variety of Dolce & Gabbana stock silhouettes.

Second, cheerful umbrella stripes, straight from the Sicilian beach, on looks including sundresses, high-waisted shorts and the finale’s parade of retro undies. Since stripes belong to a broader fashion vocabulary, the motif provided the lineup’s most appealing moment. During a press conference the morning of the show, Gabbana spoke as if he were expecting backlash.

“We want to do it our own way; we are not looking to be trendy,” he said. “We want to make clothes and hope that people like them but we are not striving to shape new trends." It is unlikely that the gunnysacks, snipped at the top and bottom with armholes — voila, a dress — will go wide on the zeitgeist.

Likewise, the coarse raffia dress with straw floral embroidery, and the straw bustier ensembles that were essentially wearable baskets. Styled with headscarves and huge earrings in the shape of puppet heads, the whole thing was tricked way out. Sicily is an island, not an outfit."

23-09-2012
trendsetter

This is probably the ugliest collection I've ever seen. Everything was bad; hideous prints, stale ideas, ugly accessories, a potato sack, and some random stripes. And why is there collection so long? It was like a nightmare that just wouldn't end.

It all looks like the results of an unconventional challenge on Project Runway.

23-09-2012
backstage pass

I feel really sad. I liked their last collections, even if people complained that they were repetitive and "sicily over and over again". I liked their style. And I wanted them to prove everyone wrong. But this was, sadly, a horrible mess. I have a soft spot for Dolce and Gabbana but I cannot really find a way to support this collection.

23-09-2012
fashion icon

I absolutely love it. Love the Italianess of it, love the humor, love the sass. Love love love Dolce's feisty Latina. She's never looked cooler or more resolutely herself IMHO.

Love what they said about not trying to be trendy, they went that route once and it didn't really work. This is honest, this is who they are and what they want to say and I'd love to see women dressed in it.

23-09-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
I absolutely love it. Love the Italianess of it, love the humor, love the sass. Love love love Dolce's feisty Latina. She's never looked cooler or more resolutely herself IMHO.

Love what they said about not trying to be trendy, they went that route once and it didn't really work. This is honest, this is who they are and what they want to say and I'd love to see women dressed in it.

this said, they probably didn't need 80+ looks!

23-09-2012
V.I.P.

still ugly... but congratulations! they finally moved on.... at least the inspiration is a little bit more diverse.

23-09-2012
chaos reigns

Hum ... I am torn.

I hate the clothes but dont mind the accesories.

I do like em. Remind me of how the folk dresses from my homeland.

I like the shoes, the bags and the earrings.

But that sack was taking it too far.

backstage pass

great collection! i feel this and their recent mens collection is a real takeoff to another level for them.

23-09-2012
V.I.P.

inspiration book for the D&G look:

amazon

23-09-2012
fashion elite

Dolce and Gabanna lost their sexy appeal in their collections this is just

fashion elite

This is D&G or Dolce & Gabbana?

23-09-2012
V.I.P.

I see everyone is complaining about the potato sack dress, but is it just me or is that not even the worst thing about the collection? I think the whole thing is an abomination.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVENCHYlover View Post
This is D&G or Dolce & Gabbana?

Sorry the answer...but is nothing! (Dolce & Gabbana)
D&g die at s/s 2012 and Dolce & Gabbana die in few seasons.

V.I.P.

I liked the blue and white striped pieces, but other than that...lol

23-09-2012
V.I.P.

Stuck in a rut...

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, dolce, gabbana, milan, s or s