How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-09-2011
V.I.P.

HATED IT. My biggest disappointment so far this season in NY. After that stunning and chic fall collection, Donna fell apart. What is up with those tribal prints? They came out looking so cliche and artificial. It's almost insulting. The colors are so drab and, quite frankly, ugly. But I think my biggest issue is that the pieces look so heavy. I would've expected a more nuanced collection from Donna, rather than just a bunch of brown skirts/dresses with an ethnic print here and there thrown in.

13-09-2011
she's got the look

I love that she took a different direction this time. I know it's her trademark but I was getting tired of draping all the time.
Great collection, the colour palette is stunning. Love the make up!

Last edited by thiago:); 13-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.
13-09-2011
V.I.P.

The make up is great. So bold. I am not a huge fan of the big bunchy skirts or tribal influences, but some of the snug and drapey dresses are lovely.

13-09-2011
God Save McQueen

the accessories are fantastic, the wood shoes, bags and jewelry. the clothes are so so, but i love the accessories

14-09-2011
tfs star

Looks like something that a desginer from Project Runway would do. I like only 2 looks.

14-09-2011
fashion insider

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

I enjoy this overall- things I like the most are the tribal theme, wood acessories and bags, and the color palette. Well done!

14-09-2011
French Chic

In a week when NYC FW went print crazy, along came Donna Karan to show them how it's done. When you have proved over and over that you are the Queen of draping.......show your worth with a totally different vibe.
As has been said the colour palette is lovely and all the shoes and accessories.
Where the collection fails slightly is when the prints become slightly overblown and the skirt shape become less body conscious.
This is going to sell like hot cakes and even though she may have disappointed some of her regular customers, they will likely follow her vision anyhow, and buy as they did before.
2nd season in a row, the outstanding collection in NYC.......so far.

chaos reigns

Awesomeness!

I love how she pays respect to the materials throughout the collection. On the accesories, the clothes, even with the styling (hair and make up).

This is a collection you want to touch, feel and finally own. Its something so carefully edited. Im gleaming. Literally, Im smiling.

.my prison is your brain.

She made Michael Kors' tribal collection look like a student collection. Praise from Cathy Horyn.

Quote:
The Volume Stays Up

It continued on Tuesday at Rodarte and Vera Wang, with runny floral patterns. It struck on Monday with ice-cream pastels at Preen, tribal prints at Donna Karan and blazing red at Ohne Titel, where the prints resembled childish track marks. Maria Cornejo’s prints looked as if something exploded in the kitchen; they were in fact digitalized blowups of Bolivian and African artifacts.

Americans don’t know when to quit, but that’s not the problem here.
Because all this intensity began a year ago in Europe with the super-saturated colors at Jil Sander, the monkey business at Prada and the neon lace from Christopher Kane, it will, in all likelihood, end there. That should be proof of their game-controlling superiority: they start a contagion and supply the antidote.

It’s funny, though. Americans have been masters of color, from Warner Brothers to Warhol. Even if designers don’t care for the brightness of animated cartoons, there is, as the late film critic Manny Farber noted, the equally important quality of gentleness that was mixed into the gags, particularly those of Chuck Jones.

That may be a tall order for fashion designers, who more often than not prefer the highfalutin to the familiar. But if you look at many of the prints that have appeared this week, and the way they were handled, you don’t find that human dimension of wit and vulnerability. They don’t make you smile.

Ms. Karan, who has been making trips to Haiti this year, said in her show notes that the tribal prints used for stretch cotton dresses and linen skirts were inspired by the Haitian artist Philippe Dodard. Mainly in browns and faded black, with burnt orange and violet, the motifs had a rough quality that suited Ms. Karan’s urban aesthetic.

Anyway, they didn’t come across as souvenir bric-a-brac — well, maybe a little. She was smart to offer designs that could stand on their own, among them body-hugging dresses in colorful pleated silk jersey. She showed a number of mask- and leaf-printed separates, in her sophisticated style, but the most uplifting pieces were the pinwheel skirts in linen and cotton. In recent seasons, Ms. Karan has gotten a little carried away with the drapery and the swoony glamour, maybe out of sheer boredom. This time, she found a natural outlet for her passions.

Story continues at NYTimes
nytimes

14-09-2011
front row

Strongly dislike.

14-09-2011
fashion insider

This isn't the type of collection I'd like but I definitely like it.
And I love the hair-swinging!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, donna, karan, s or s, york