How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-02-2012
V.I.P.

hit and miss really, i don't like a lot of the prints but the jackets look great

29-02-2012
rising star

I love it as well. I bet it looks more luxe in person. The prints are delicious. I wasn't such a fan of the prints last season but when I got to look at some of the pieces in stores, they were pretty eye-catching. And I agree about Dries being underrated and lukewarm when it comes to critical reception but his customers, myself included, are very loyal which I think contributes to his success.

29-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVogueLove View Post

I totally agree with this. He also doesn't do campaigns and it seems that it doesn't hurt his brand at all that she is not commercial designer.
*he

Sry.

29-02-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtimestorynyc View Post
same crap different season

It's the same beautiful crap though. To be fair, most designers do that, stick with the same cut and dried pieces but with different "themes".

Last edited by Zazie; 29-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
29-02-2012
backstage pass

This is to me one of his best. The right amount of mixing prints and tailoring and chic outerwear. When his styling is done right, it just gets better and better. And from my experience, his clothes look really luxurious and well-made in a person and the price point isn't that painful.

29-02-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
oooh i like the picture frame motif!
I thought more of windows. Curtains; blinds; skies both day and night, including birds in some.

Regardless though whether picture or window - a sense of a frame, a geometric line of demarcation. And evocation of horizon, vanishing point, perspectivalism within/beyond the garment/body.

I'm not massively inclined toward complexity of print: it all too often feels distracting from line of cut. And chintzy, antiquarian, like interior design with too much going on - an overburdening of space. And, ultimately, too much pretension to status via intricate addition of the superfluous extra.

So I've often found DVN somewhat busy, rather confusing. A designer I sort of want to like but can't yet find myself in tune with. In this collection once the window signifiers dropped off, I found myself rather lost and drifting. But I'm interested to read of the inspirations and see if I might find myself drawn in. If anyone has wind of the shownotes?...

29-02-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Dries Van Noten Refigures an Asian Story

Under the chandeliers of a gilded reception room at HŰtel de Ville, Dries Van Noten presented a calm, thoughtful, inviting collection that married his masculine tailoring with historical Asian prints. The richly colored prints — from Japan, China and Korea — appeared not only as silk skirts, blouses and languorous dresses, but also as angular panels on jackets and coats.

Backstage, Mr. Van Noten explained that all the prints came from costumes in the collection at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London. The garments were photographed, and their shapes directly influenced how they appeared on his clothes. “It was quite spontaneous,” he said of the idea. It was a simple, imaginative use of the past. And not to be overlooked in this solid collection were Mr. Van Noten’s relaxed trouser suits, high-collared white cotton shirts; and outerwear with a nice, rugged, vaguely English attitude. - Cathy Horyn
nytimes

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 29-02-2012 at 12:40 PM.
29-02-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtimestorynyc View Post
same crap different season
Same BRILLIANCE different season. I'm especially loving the pieces with the aqua in them.

29-02-2012
V.I.P.

This is amazing. You can always trust Dries to come up with something wearable and imaginative, I love how he went for an Oriental influence but didn't make the mistake of over-doing it or kitsching it up. The jackets with the heron print on them are divine...I'll find more to love over time I'm sure!

29-02-2012
fashion elite

so much better than last season!! great show with amazing strong pieces...

29-02-2012
V.I.P.

such a beautiful collection, I can't understand how anyone can call this crap?

Dries just never disappoints, I have yet to see a collection by him that I don't like can't wait to see HQs of the whole collection!

29-02-2012
fashion insider

My first thought too was "this is the usual Dries Van Noten Collection" but for some reason that I just can't explain it doesn't matter, it ALWAYS looks amazing!! There's something so brilliant in (like an other tfs member said) the use of prints, patterns and the mix of color and fabric.
And he smelt the air right, asian references are popping up everywhere lately.

V.I.P.

Same crap comment different season.

OH-MY-GOODNESS.
Take the shiny blue details in the last looks away and this is perfection.. just right up my alley, the right dose of military structure with the fluidity of silks and prints.. the moment he does hair and makeup like this, you know it's going to be good .. my favorite of the season so far.

fashion icon

Well...YES !!! prints are beautiful !!!!

29-02-2012
Alluring

Some prints are lovely, but this season's mix doesn't seem to do it for me. The pieces I love the most would be the classic, minimal outerwear ones, like coats on Daiane and Suvi or the fur-collared parka on Daga, they're fantastic

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, dries, f or w, noten, paris, van